WR - how do you rank this year's group?

Buzzbait

Reaction score
You said, you can't catch balls that's thrown to someone else. That would have to do with targets pal. You should read what you write before you try to make a dumb debate
You're going to accuse others of dumb debates? LOL I really don't understand what you're bent out of shape about. You started this when you was badmouthing Beasley without good cause. All I'm saying is give the kid a break and you can't bring yourself to do that.

Last edited:

kumizi

Reaction score
I hope Hurns is a decent #2 right now. I hope Gallup can become a decent #2 eventually. So yeah I don’t have high hopes that they’re gonna be an explosive group. Hopefully they’re good enough to keep defenses somewhat honest.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I hope Hurns is a decent #2 right now. I hope Gallup can become a decent #2 eventually. So yeah I don’t have high hopes that they’re gonna be an explosive group. Hopefully they’re good enough to keep defenses somewhat honest.

Hey you never can tell, they might surprise us. I think we've made some improvements coaching wise, like Kris Richard, and our OL should definitely show some improvement over the end of last year.
Whatever happens, it'll be fun to watch our rooks and see what they can do.

Zman5

Reaction score
2009 WR corp: Miles Austin, Patrick Crayton, Sam Hurd, Kevin Ogletree and Roy Williams.

This years group is much better than that group. It isn't close. The only WR from the '09 team that would make this years team is Austin and Williams and they would be at the bottom of the depth chart.

What? Austin had 1320 yards, 16.3 yards per reception and 11 TDs and made the pro-bowl in 2009. And that's only starting in 9 games.
And you think he would be at the bottom of the depth chart if he was on the team this year? Are you serious?

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
If Twill gets cut I will pretty much have nearly all my prayers answered this offseason:

This is all the major things I wanted to see happen:

-Chaz Green cut
-Dez Cut
-Witten retire
-Twilliams cut
-Jeff Heath relegated to the bench
-Garrett fired

I really only thought ONE of those would be done. To think that all of them could actually happen accept for Garrett is mind blowing for me. It gives me hope the FO understands what needs to be done.

If Garrett was at the forefront of most of those decision then I applaud him for that.

Its pretty easy to see now what some have said over the last few years. This team is in a rebuilding mode. In my mind its going unbelievably good. The Cowboys getting embarrassed last year was the best thing that could have happened to them and Dak. It appears they really got a wake up call.

I'd really just like to see heath on ST full time where he was at first.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
You're going to accuse others of dumb debates? LOL I really don't understand what you're bent out of shape about. You started this when you was badmouthing Beasley without good cause. All I'm saying is give the kid a break and you can't bring yourself to do that.
I didn't start it, people act like Beasley is some great player that can't be replaced and only make excuses for his subpar play. It's not my fault you over rate Beasley I'm just giving the facts

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
So I was thinking back historically and frankly the last time heading into a season I was this down on our WR group had to be 2009. Before Miles Austin emerged in the KC Chiefs game, we had Roy Williams and Patrick Crayton.

I hope Michael Gallup can be the equivalent of a Miles Austin and break through, but as of now I'm not loving it. I also still don't know why Switzer had to be traded, he was developing nicely.

Hurns, Beasley, Williams, being our key 3 targets with Gallup developing and Tavon Austin as a wildcard isn't terrible, but it isn't great. I believe 2009 is a fair comparison - and given our 11-5 record that season, this could be a good omen.
deep, but no dominant WR. Its OK, not many teams have the dominant WR and yet succeed....

I think Williams is on the bubble.......

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
So I was thinking back historically and frankly the last time heading into a season I was this down on our WR group had to be 2009. Before Miles Austin emerged in the KC Chiefs game, we had Roy Williams and Patrick Crayton.

I hope Michael Gallup can be the equivalent of a Miles Austin and break through, but as of now I'm not loving it. I also still don't know why Switzer had to be traded, he was developing nicely.

Hurns, Beasley, Williams, being our key 3 targets with Gallup developing and Tavon Austin as a wildcard isn't terrible, but it isn't great. I believe 2009 is a fair comparison - and given our 11-5 record that season, this could be a good omen.
It''s way too early for this.

We have not even seen them practice.

Heres the good part.

If this works..

we no longer must depend on an injury-prone Dez to carry the WRs.

Everybody gets to play and contribute.

Dez's 80 passes a year get dispersed around now.

Meaning the defense has to play it honest instead of just doubling Beasley

and Dez and leaving Witten open for a 5 yd pass.

That has to increase.effectiveness.

Players will emerge.

Be patient.

Revisit this after the season.

Sometimes a post is just premature.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Beasley is capable of having over 700 yards, Hurns if he remains healthy can put up 800 yards, Gallup will have over 800 yards this year and 8 tds, I think Wilson will actually be the sleeper in this receiving core, he will put 400 plus yards, Williams will have somewhere near 500 yards, I really believe we are going to spread the ball around as much as possible, it’s hsrder for defenses to focus on a certain player, plus we have the advantage, if we really are getting creative on offense , defenses won’t know how to prepare for us. Dallas offense line will be as good if not better than 2016 , La el Collins will make a huge jump this year, he’s not facing 4 out of 5 of the top rushers in the league and this will be his second year as a starting RT, Ezekiel is just focused. Big year for this offense
I definitely agree that this is the concept they are going for. Not sure how the yardage will shake out between all the weapons but it should total up nicely. I understand TWill's faults but I would not be at all surprised to see him lead the team in receiving. He's not nearly as bad as some make him out to be. I am really intrigued to see Connor added to this line (assuming Tyron can be healthy). Not sure if he can handle the true bull rushers as well as Leary but his athleticism could make that aspect of this years line better than 2016.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
It’s a very “Dak Friendly” group. There is no #1 and there doesn’t need to be, just guys who can get open and have good hands. Thompson and Austin (and Wilson, if he makes the team) bring the speed element. Hurns and Gallup get late separation and have big bodies and good hands.

I’m not a T-Will fan but despite his high profile drops, he actually has a very low percentage of drops.

I believe we’ll see more short passes this year, especially those bubble screens and swing passes to Austin. The idea will be to play to Dak’s strengths and count on YAC.

Dez was 5th in the league in drops last year and had the league’s lowest completion percentage vs targets, nearly 50%. Before you blame Dak, Beasley and TWill were way better.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I didn't start it, people act like Beasley is some great player that can't be replaced and only make excuses for his subpar play. It's not my fault you over rate Beasley I'm just giving the facts

You're "giving the facts" that fit your narrative and ignoring the facts that don't. I don't over rate the guy, I just give him credit where it's deserved.
However, every player can be replaced.
So if your wish to replace Beasley came true, did you have someone specific in mind to lead our receivers in receptions, yards, and first downs like Beasley did in 2016? ;)

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
You're "giving the facts" that fit your narrative and ignoring the facts that don't. I don't over rate the guy, I just give him credit where it's deserved.
However, every player can be replaced.
So if your wish to replace Beasley came true, did you have someone specific in mind to lead our receivers in receptions, yards, and first downs like Beasley did in 2016? ;)
You talk about a narrative but only point to 2016 and don't mention had Dez not been injured Beasley wouldn't have led anything...... Just like all his other seasons.

Verdict

Reaction score
It's not often that rookie WR's have a big impact and even less likely when they are a 3rd round pick. I'm hopeful yet skeptical

Whatever we get out of these guys is better than keeping Dez and witten and hoping for a different result.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
You talk about a narrative but only point to 2016 and don't mention
had Dez not been injured Beasley wouldn't have led anything...... Just like all his other seasons.

Well of course. If Dez was there, they'd still be forcing passes to Dez, as usual. That would affect all the receivers, including Beasley.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Well of course. If Dez was there, they'd still be forcing passes to Dez, as usual. That would affect all the receivers, including Beasley.
Or if Beasley didn't regress and got open he would catch more. Dude can't score more then 5 TDs a season, not really sure why you and some others are so in love with an average at best receiver

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Dez was 5th in the league in drops last year and had the league’s lowest completion percentage vs targets, nearly 50%.

Dez was near the bottom, but he wasn't the lowest.

Here's the bottom 20 out of everyone with at least 50 targets --

A.J. Green 75/143 52.4
Dez Bryant 69/132 52.3%
Corey Davis 34/65 52.3%
T.Y. Hilton 57/109 52.3%
Mike Evans 71/136 52.2%
Bennie Fowler 29/56 51.8%
Emmanuel Sanders 47/92 51.1%
Bruce Ellington 29/57 50.9%
Keelan Cole 42/83 50.6%
Amari Cooper 48/96 50%
Roger Lewis 36/72 50%