WR Matt Jones will fight for one of the remaining spots w/JAGs

cowheel

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2109937 said:
If Sam Hurd played in 16 games and only got 100 plays and Matt Jones playe d12 and got 200 then who really performed better?

Matt Jones was starting in the beginning of the year.

:bow:

Matt Jones was drafted in the first round based SOLELY on his performance at the combine and the hype that surrounded it.

On the flip side... Hurd was NOT drafted because of his?

And being the first round pick on a team that didn't have a great receiving corp to begin with... he was pretty much GIVEN the opportunity to compete for the 1st or 2nd receiver spot with the Jags.

Hurd on the other hand was signed as an undrafted free agent on a team that was very talented at the WR receiver spot - so he was never GIVEN the opportunity to be on the field as much as Matt Jones.

But when Hurd DID get on the field... he showed me nothing that would warrant us wanting to get rid of him in lieu of a Matt Jones.
He looks like a guy that could improve, develop,and get better.

So to compare Hurds numbers to Jones - is pretty much apples & oranges.
I would really like to have seen a player like Hurd GIVEN that same opportunity in Jacksonville just to see how he would have fared.

Whose to say if that was the case that Sam Hurd would be fighting for a roster spot right now?

On the flip side - I've seen nothing from Matt Jones to make me say he will get any better.
Dude is a first round draft pick losing his spot to some journeyman receivers-
3 years after being drafted.
He's hit his ceiling- as low as it was- given every opportunity in the world.

PLUS - as we all should know - for a guy to be the 4th or 5th receiver...
it's as much about special teams as it is about upside.

Hurd in my opinion- gets the edge in both of those categories.
Miles Austin definitely gets the edge on special teams.

Matt Jones is simply a bust.

Kilyin

Reaction score
7 pages of Matt Jones at 40 posts per page setting...

Yeah, it's definitely the offseason.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
cowheel;2110719 said:
:bow:

Matt Jones was drafted in the first round based SOLELY on his performance at the combine and the hype that surrounded it.

And being the first round pick on a team that didn't have a great receiving corp to begin with... he was pretty much GIVEN the opportunity to compete for the 1st or 2nd receiver spot with the Jags.

Hurd on the other hand was signed as an undrafted free agent on a team that was very talented at the WR receiver spot - so he was never GIVEN the opportunity to be on the field as much as Matt Jones.

But when Hurd DID get on the field... he showed me nothing that would warrant us wanting to get rid of him in lieu of a Matt Jones.

I would really like to have seen a player like Hurd GIVEN that same opportunity in Jacksonville just to see how he would have fared.

Whose to say if that was the case that Sam Hurd would be fighting for a roster spot right now?

On the flip side - I've seen nothing from Matt Jones to make me say he will get any better.

I wouldn't say Matt Jones is a bust. I don't know how much you follow him or look at his stats but i wouldn't declare this man a bust. Just because he can't get on the field in Jacksonville doesn't make him bad. His rookie season was his first year as a WR. His second year he lead his team in receiving. For what ever reasons his 3 yard he was in active for 4 games and had a falling out with his team it seems.

BuckyG

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2110728 said:
I wouldn't say Matt Jones is a bust. I don't know how much you follow him or look at his stats but i wouldn't declare this man a bust. Just because he can't get on the field in Jacksonville doesn't make him bad. His rookie season was his first year as a WR. His second year he lead his team in receiving. For what ever reasons his 3 yard he was in active for 4 games and had a falling out with his team it seems.

There's no doubt the guy's a bust. For a first-round pick, you expect at least a competent starter, not a guy fighting for a roster spot after three years on a team weak at the WR position. That he lead the team in receiving in 2006 is damning with faint praise, to be honest. And the falling out with the team appears to be his own fault. When a group of players goes to the coach to complain about a guy's lackadaisical attitude, that's saying something.

Jones was a classic case of being overvalued due to workouts and a Senior Bowl performance. Prior to the combine, he was seen as a second-day pick, and even then judged only on potential.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
BuckyG;2110796 said:
There's no doubt the guy's a bust. For a first-round pick, you expect at least a competent starter, not a guy fighting for a roster spot after three years on a team weak at the WR position. That he lead the team in receiving in 2006 is damning with faint praise, to be honest. And the falling out with the team appears to be his own fault. When a group of players goes to the coach to complain about a guy's lackadaisical attitude, that's saying something.

Jones was a classic case of being overvalued due to workouts and a Senior Bowl performance. Prior to the combine, he was seen as a second-day pick, and even then judged only on potential.

Well I don't think he is a bust its not as if he isn't putting up numbers. Last season was his worse season in his three year career. He didn't go the way of Mike Williams or Carlos Rogers. He has shown flashes in the opportunities given.

The hype of the combine + his inexperience at the position makes sense that he would be struggling and such. However i think he is due to break out if given the opportunity and I don't think that is going to be with Jacksonville.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
stasheroo;2110511 said:
That's my thinking. Austin hasn't shown he can be anything but a kick returner in two seasons. Adn the team now has plenty of better candidates for that role.

And for each negative report that circulates, there's a positive one.

One report says he's struggling in the team's OTA's while another says he's doing well and has looked better than the other receivers.

"Another player that had a relatively solid practice, starting with the initial drills was Matt Jones, who was being tasked with going over the middle quite a bit today on slants and crosses. On one particular play, Jones got the inside angle on Drayton Florence on a quick slant and made a nice grab."

You really don't know what to believe.

No you don't. Most of us know not to believe hearsay as being fact. My guess is JAX will try to recoup their investment this year. I doubt Jones is available unless someone is willing to cough up some serious draft dough for him. Which I doubt.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Avenging Hayseed;2110557 said:
Havent finished going over all the stats yet, but it seems jones gets more passes thrown his way by QB's other then Gerrard. Leftwich and Grey. Hmmmmmmmmm, thats funny, you mean to tell me he's getting open when Leftwich or Grey are in the game but not when Gerrard is???:rolleyes: Or,.....could it just be that Gerrard isnt looking his way?

Boy, I sure hope you are not saying Garrard is in any way the problem. You have one guy who would crawl for miles on broken glass for his team and you have another who repeatedly is bashed for being a lazy POS.

Aside from that, I've heard Garrard praise Matt for his red zone potential. I will admit that all QBs have guys they go to more than others. Jones caught 5 TDs last year (w/ 1 in the playoffs) He had a big game at the end of the year when both Houston and Jax were resting players...so Quinn was the QB. Earlier in the year with Garrard hurt, he also caught a TD from Quinn (he caught one ball that game for an 8 yard TD).

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dbair1967;2110603 said:
please dont mention Alvin Harper and Matt Jones in the same breath...there is absolutely NO comparison

unless you compare Harper after he left Dallas to Jones now perhaps...but Harper while he was here was a feared big play threat...no teams fears Matt Jones

You act like I'm making this stuff up?

This is fact.

Yet you would still have people believe that Jones is a "bust" while Harper was a "key contributor".

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FuzzyLumpkins;2110700 said:
You guys need to check your numbers becasue this 'his numbers are better than Harper's" line is pure garbage. Just a cursory look shows that Harper had better yardage numbers in his first three years.

And that's all he's got. Please keep misleading by bringing up yardage numbers while leaving out catches and touchdowns. You take the yardage, I'll take the touchdowns.

FuzzyLumpkins said:
But moreso Harper actually improved each and every year with the Cowboys; something Charmin Jones can't say. Plus Harper would block and run inside routes. You may remember a certain skinny post in a certain championship game.

One play? You're going to base this on one play? Please.

FuzzyLumpkins said:
But really his numbers aren't better than Harper's any more than they 'better than Austin, hurd and Stanback combined.' Austin and Hurd had more catches and yards. But hey why let get facts get in the way of pimping this loser?

Bzzzzt., wrong again Hans. Austin and Hurd had equal catches. And Stanback had none. Therefore, Jones' number of catches equal Hurd, Austin, and Stanback combined.

Anyone curious can look up any of the numbers mentioned, don't led this guy mislead you.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FuzzyLumpkins;2110715 said:
As has been gone over its not how many games but how many snaps each got. Furthermore their YPC and yards are both better.

Show those numbers, otherwise it's simply speculation.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
cowheel said:

That looks accurate.

The Jaguars reached for Matt Jones in Round 1 based on his stellar workout and athletic ability while the rest of the league had him rated as a 4th rounder due to having to make a position switch.

Jacksonville's fault for reaching, not Jones'.

cowheel said:

One of many first round receivers struggling in Jacksonville, not the only one.

And I don't see how he was "given" anything when being the team's leading receiver was somehow not good enough to start in 2007.

cowheel said:

Hurd looks like a solid posession receiver, and I'm nor advocating getting rid of him.

cowheel said:

We can speculate all day about "what if's". What if Matt Jones was drafted by the Cowboys and got coaching from a guy as good as Ray Sherman? What could he be? (see how that works?)

cowheel said:

Even if the "ceiling" comment were true, the guy is still putting up better numbers than any receiver here not named Owens or Crayton, while being inactive for 4 games!

cowheel said:

Who's gonna be 1-3? Tell me you're counting on a contribution from Terry Glenn?

cowheel said:

Austin's time is up, his spot on special teams has been filled. And Glenn is finished as an NFL player. There's two spots to fill.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
stasheroo;2110885 said:
Show those numbers, otherwise it's simply speculation.

No its not just speculation. You need those figures to have a point, showing how many games he played is absolutely worthless.

Furthermore when has getting more yardage in the same number of catches a bad thing? All i see is Jones measley 13 YPC which is awful considering he is supposed to be able to stretch the field.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FuzzyLumpkins;2111023 said:
No its not just speculation. You need those figures to have a point, showing how many games he played is absolutely worthless.

I use the known numbers, you're trying to speculate based on numbers you don't have. The burden of proof is on you if you want to prove your point, not on me.

FuzzyLumpkins said:
Furthermore when has getting more yardage in the same number of catches a bad thing? All i see is Jones measley 13 YPC which is awful considering he is supposed to be able to stretch the field.

I guess the same time that scoring more touchdowns gets disregarded by someone with an agenda?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
stasheroo;2111033 said:
I use the known numbers, you're trying to speculate based on numbers you don't have. The burden of proof is on you if you want to prove your point, not on me.

I guess the same time that scoring more touchdowns gets disregarded by someone with an agenda?

Whatever your game figures posit nothing. I know what Matt Jones number is too that doesn't prove anything either.

And no i am not ignoring Jones TD numbers but what I am saying is that your constant spewing of his numbers being better isn't true in any sense other than TDs.

You talk of me with an agenda concerning that when I have posted these numbers multiple times.

cowheel

Reaction score
stasheroo;2111033 said:

All that...
17 pages of you defending a guy that was a 1st round draft pick - only 3 years ago...
who is about to be pushed off of Jacksonville's roster by Dennis fricken Northcutt, Troy fricken Williamson, and somebody named John fricken Broussard! :lmao:

Unbelievable.

And I can't even believe I'm sitting here taking time to argue with you.... (I suck)

I'm not arguing anymore. No need.
It's pretty ridiculous actually.

Dude is a bust. Period.

Dennis Northcutt... lol

cowheel

Reaction score
Dang just looked... now its 18 pages.:(

18 pages of Matt Jones talk.:bang2:

I'll bet the Jags front office won't discuss him this much when they cut him...
to make room for that Broussard guy...

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2111188 said:
Whatever your game figures posit nothing. I know what Matt Jones number is too that doesn't prove anything either.

And no i am not ignoring Jones TD numbers but what I am saying is that your constant spewing of his numbers being better isn't true in any sense other than TDs.

You talk of me with an agenda concerning that when I have posted these numbers multiple times.

Matt stats v sam hurd matt jones wins

Matt Joness stats vs Miles austins matt jones wins

sam hurd + miles austin stats vs Matt Jones stats hurd and austin wins,

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FuzzyLumpkins;2111188 said:

Huh?

FuzzyLumpkins said:

Sorry, I haven't seen you post them.

I've seen you conveniently omit information or post inaccurate information in an effort to discredit the numbers I've presented.

Anyone interested can go to NFL.com and research anything they want for themselves.

They'll see that Jones had 24 catches last season while Hurd, Austin, and Stanback also combined for - 24 catches last season and equal number.

They would find that Hurd and Austin did combine for more receiving yards.

And they would find that Hurd, Austin, and Stanback combined for 1 TD while Jones had 4 TD's, in a season where Jones was deactivated for 4 games.

It's there for everyone interested to see.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
cowheel;2111194 said:
Dang just looked... now its 18 pages.:(

18 pages of Matt Jones talk.:bang2:

I'll bet the Jags front office won't discuss him this much when they cut him...
to make room for that Broussard guy...

Sorry, but it's an idea that I feel would help this team and it's one I'm very interested in.

I don't know who it was that made you read it, but you should probably be upset with them.