WWE Summer Slam Prediction Thread - Winners Bolded

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For those who didn't watch, Smackdown was better than Raw this week. I know the ratings for Raw were bad and reportedly Vince was extremely upset. Typically the Raw after a PPV is the highest rated Raw of the month. Either someone told Vince he needs to improve the product and he ignored the advice or he knows this already and just doesn't care.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Lets be real wrestling is now going the way of the dodo, there is nothing pushing Vince and WWE to get better, there is no threat to the throne except from within, complacency, unimaginative story lines pushing wrestlers that really have no skills. Its the late 80's and early 90's again but no competing organization that can even come close to dimming the spotlight on the wwe by any measurable means.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Lets be real wrestling is now going the way of the dodo, there is nothing pushing Vince and WWE to get better, there is no threat to the throne except from within, complacency, unimaginative story lines pushing wrestlers that really have no skills. Its the late 80's and early 90's again but no competing organization that can even come close to dimming the spotlight on the wwe by any measurable means.

Part of it is that the people who give the WWE their hard earned money like the product. So what do you do?

jrumann59

Reaction score
Part of it is that the people who give the WWE their hard earned money like the product. So what do you do?

The question is are these wrestling fans doing it because really there are no other options. TNA is in a coma on life support and ROH some of the really small promotions have venues with a 1000 people if they are lucky.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
before my time & he's very anti-WWE in everything I've read. Maybe he'll come crawling back if his bank acct gets low who knows?

Not likely.

If he comes back it's because he missed it, and they found a way to reconcile with one another, which I don't know if that will happen.

The reason I say this is that he's a UFC contracted fighter now. Even if he does terrible in his first couple of fights he's going to make money, because of his name. So there is that.

And #2 he's known for being very good with his money. He's always been about making as much money, as quickly as possible, and retiring before wrestling took away the ability to enjoy the rest of his life.

CM Punk was never going to be a Hulk Hogan or Ric Flair who stayed around until they had to drag him out.

The reason for the anti-WWE you read is that they parted on very bad terms because he has always been very vocal about the stupid things that WWE does with their decision makings, in regards to who should be the champion, how to push the champion, who should be in main events at like WrestleMania.

Basically he wasn't willing to just do whatever, and be happy about it, and that's what WWE really wants from their wrestlers.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I was a huge Rock fan and when Cena and Rock were going to to do battle their mic face offs were awesome, I thought the Rock was one of the best Superstars with a mic and I was impressed that Cena while not to the Rock's level on mic held his own with the Rock.

The Rock is the best I've ever seen on the mic, by far. His stuff with Cena was well BELOW his own ability. Mostly due to the fact that he doesn't do it regularly anymore.

The way The Rock was on the mic when he was full time he would TRASH Cena in a terrible way, with the way they force Cena to be right now. It would have been ugly.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Vince should be begging Punk to return. I know Trips doesn't care for him but they should pay Punk whatever he wants.

Actually from what I understand it's actually the other way around. Vince doesn't care for Punk. He's too small, doesn't like his out spoken attitude, and doesn't like him in general. From what I understand HHH is the only reason Punk ever even got a shot on the main roster. Well HHH and HBK was very high on him as well when Punk was in OVW.

jrumann59

Reaction score
The Rock is the best I've ever seen on the mic, by far. His stuff with Cena was well BELOW his own ability. Mostly due to the fact that he doesn't do it regularly anymore.

The way The Rock was on the mic when he was full time he would TRASH Cena in a terrible way, with the way they force Cena to be right now. It would have been ugly.

The Rock had great mic skills but his material (his delivery and content) was old, the only reason why he is so well received now is because he gets dusted off 2-3 times a year.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score

I don't know if saying that there's nothing pushing Vince is quite accurate. Obviously, he has no competition. But, Vince is a business man and he runs a large corporation that he is responsible to shareholders for. As Paul Heyman once said, Vince owns about 99% of the market right now and even if somebody new came in and tried to take 1% of the market away (leaving Vince with 98%), Vince would fight them tooth and nail over it.

The issue to me is that this is more of Vince's vision all along. He has for quite some time wanted a corporate landscape of wrestling and a show that was more like ice capades where the fans came to see the organization more than individual performers. Corporations are very risk averse by nature and pro wrestling just doesn't operate at its best with a corporate attitude because successful wrestling is often dependent on the heels getting legitimate heat which is going to offend people which corporations try to avoid at all costs.

Now that the WWE has the ice capades structure (fans come more to see the organization than individual wrestlers), a wrestler that may get heat and want to leave the company has pretty much nowhere else to go because they are no longer part of the WWE and the fans have come to see the organization rather than the wrestler.

I think that's a big reason why they fought with CM Punk. Punk had heat, but wasn't going to a wrestling company. He went to the UFC which could acquire a lot of wrestling fans with Punk becoming one of their fighters.

As far as other wrestling companies go, the issue for them is that they have to be very different from the WWE because nobody is going to beat Vince at his own game. But, they can't get on television because too many TV companies expect to see a WWE like product or they will want that wrestling company to start using a WWE style. And if they get heat and it offends somebody or a certain group of people, the TV station can't handle it.

It's too bad because I really think Pro Wrestling Guerilla has something special and 20 years ago it would have been easily identified as the future of pro wrestling. 30 years ago they would have been paid by local TV stations to put their show on tape on a good weekly time slot. But since times have changed they have to be very careful about growing, even by the smallest amount.

YR

jrumann59

Reaction score
I don't know if saying that there's nothing pushing Vince is quite accurate. Obviously, he has no competition. But, Vince is a business man and he runs a large corporation that he is responsible to shareholders for. As Paul Heyman once said, Vince owns about 99% of the market right now and even if somebody new came in and tried to take 1% of the market away (leaving Vince with 98%), Vince would fight them tooth and nail over it.

The issue to me is that this is more of Vince's vision all along. He has for quite some time wanted a corporate landscape of wrestling and a show that was more like ice capades where the fans came to see the organization more than individual performers. Corporations are very risk averse by nature and pro wrestling just doesn't operate at its best with a corporate attitude because successful wrestling is often dependent on the heels getting legitimate heat which is going to offend people which corporations try to avoid at all costs.

Now that the WWE has the ice capades structure (fans come more to see the organization than individual wrestlers), a wrestler that may get heat and want to leave the company has pretty much nowhere else to go because they are no longer part of the WWE and the fans have come to see the organization rather than the wrestler.

I think that's a big reason why they fought with CM Punk. Punk had heat, but wasn't going to a wrestling company. He went to the UFC which could acquire a lot of wrestling fans with Punk becoming one of their fighters.

As far as other wrestling companies go, the issue for them is that they have to be very different from the WWE because nobody is going to beat Vince at his own game. But, they can't get on television because too many TV companies expect to see a WWE like product or they will want that wrestling company to start using a WWE style. And if they get heat and it offends somebody or a certain group of people, the TV station can't handle it.

It's too bad because I really think Pro Wrestling Guerilla has something special and 20 years ago it would have been easily identified as the future of pro wrestling. 30 years ago they would have been paid by local TV stations to put their show on tape on a good weekly time slot. But since times have changed they have to be very careful about growing, even by the smallest amount.

YR

That is the problem wrestling has become more of spectacle, and less like a Episodic Series (a guys soap opera) that it falls into. WW has spent more time make the shiny object more shiny but pays little attention to the cracking foundation. For WWE fans this may not be what they want to hear but I think less on TV would ultimately be better in the long run. Maybe condense RAW and Smackdown and have 1 three hour show a week and put less on the writers to have material that can be spread thin over 2 shows for x number of weeks.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
it's too bad you are all guys.

if you were a shallow female like me you could just enjoy the better looking wrestlers on there.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The question is are these wrestling fans doing it because really there are no other options. TNA is in a coma on life support and ROH some of the really small promotions have venues with a 1000 people if they are lucky.

I'd like to give fans more credit than that but you never know. Like you have the same people every year who knock Madden but then it goes on to sell millions of copies. It may be due to lack of competition. But for me I believe the WWE product is the best its been in a long time in part due to the inclusion of NXT. The main roster is lightyears better than it was before they started grabbing indie wrestlers with a solid record.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
Not likely.

If he comes back it's because he missed it, and they found a way to reconcile with one another, which I don't know if that will happen.

The reason I say this is that he's a UFC contracted fighter now. Even if he does terrible in his first couple of fights he's going to make money, because of his name. So there is that.

And #2 he's known for being very good with his money. He's always been about making as much money, as quickly as possible, and retiring before wrestling took away the ability to enjoy the rest of his life.

CM Punk was never going to be a Hulk Hogan or Ric Flair who stayed around until they had to drag him out.

The reason for the anti-WWE you read is that they parted on very bad terms because he has always been very vocal about the stupid things that WWE does with their decision makings, in regards to who should be the champion, how to push the champion, who should be in main events at like WrestleMania.

Basically he wasn't willing to just do whatever, and be happy about it, and that's what WWE really wants from their wrestlers.

After listening to Punk on Colt Cabana's podcast I have a hard time imagining if he misses professional wrestling and wants to return that WWE is where he'd go. Sounded like a lot of bad blood between them. Maybe the independent scene would be more likely.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

This is absolutely the truth.

Actually from what I understand it's actually the other way around. Vince doesn't care for Punk. He's too small, doesn't like his out spoken attitude, and doesn't like him in general. From what I understand HHH is the only reason Punk ever even got a shot on the main roster. Well HHH and HBK was very high on him as well when Punk was in OVW.
That's interesting.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
I saw something somewhere where Cena said he wants a big career like Dwayne Johnson.

Good luck with that. He is nowhere near as good looking.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I saw something somewhere where Cena said he wants a big career like Dwayne Johnson.

Good luck with that. He is nowhere near as good looking.

As long as he stays with what he is good at and doesn't try to do things like a real drama or something hat requires in depth acting chops he would be fine. Dwayne may see his acting career tank because of Ballers, that show is short because they can't fill it with any type of real dialogue and when in doubt show nude woman.