XFL shutting down

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The players that don’t get drafted who may have potential get invited to training camps and are put on practice squads. You’re not going to learn much watching players have some success against scrubs in a watered down league full of castoffs and rejects. You need to see them perform against NFL talent.
I’m talking about guys who have been in the league. Sometimes it takes guys longer to develop. The current process makes it harder for those guys to make it.

xFL was full of legit NFL talent. Guys who were in the league. Far better representation than college play.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I’m talking about guys who have been in the league. Sometimes it takes guys longer to develop. The current process makes it harder for those guys to make it.

xFL was full of legit NFL talent. Guys who were in the league. Far better representation than college play.

If a player is in the NFL they have some value or they wouldn’t be on a practice squad or a roster. Those players are given opportunities to develop. The process makes a player compete and earn the right to play. The whole idea of a practice squad is to develop players. The XFL was full of former NFL players who weren’t good enough to play in the NFL anymore. They were playing for peanuts just have a place to play. The XFL has different rules, they weren’t interested in player safety. Players were risking their health to play in a scrub league that paid them little money. The whole idea of NFL Europe was to develop players. The NFL was sending players over there. The games were played under NFL rules.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Far more expensive to run teams in Europe than a couple hours drive from their teams primary home.
A San Antonio team stocked with Cowboys and Texans would do quite well.

The XFL and AFL had a chance this time but didn't have the cushy TV contracts to buoy them long enough to get going.
The only issue I had was QB play which could be rectified with rule changes or with access to NFL 3rd stringers.

Having an expanded practice squad of say 10-12 guys that all were assigned out to XFL teams would work quite well.

Will McClay once coached the Arena League Desperadoes.
You can create pipelines and elevate talent.

If you want to think that go ahead but i seriously doubt the owners will go down that road again. Either you're to young or you don't remember but the NFL Europe games were aired on both ABC and CBS. The actual distant between where a NFL team is and where their farm team plays is irrelevant. One of the things NFL like about having their practice squads is they are for the most part uninjured but if they did as you say and play them in some farm team league and get injured then they're not helping their NFL team one bit. They already lose a few special team players in practice which isn't as physical as games so their not going to like that. Your fairy tale league isn't going to happen.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
But it should be is my point. This isn't NFL Europe. There are some gifted guys who didn't get drafted who need a look. Something other than preseason. XFL didn't have all the top talent. Some of them are rotting on the bench. That's why the NFL needs to have their own minor league so they can at least showcase some talent that they may have rotting on the bench.

Here's the holes in your plan. What your talking about is just having either a league of undrafted players who are playing against other players that didn't make an NFL team or the players as you say are just sitting on the bench giving them some game time which would be just a watered down extension of NFL preseason games. The next hole is when will this farm team league play? Will there be 32 teams in this league? If not are NFL teams going to share farm team league teams. Who then decides who has first crack at those farm team players? Next do you really think owners and coaches want to risk possible injury to those bench players getting injured in games that aren't NFL games? Not just where the farm teams play but where do they train and practice?

As I've said before the NFL owners tried that farm league with NFL Europe and there wasn't enough NFL talent to make it worth it and they folded that league. There are way more questions that I'm sure you don't have answers for but the owners already do have that will make them pass on these fantasy farm ream ideas.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

Many of those former NFL practice squad players who were in the XFL were players who were released by their NFL teams and sat a year before the XFL came a long. In other words the XFL was their last grasp at being able to play professional football. As I've said several times now the NFL owners already tried the farm team league and didn't produce enough actual NFL talent for them to keep it going so I seriously doubt they will go for any of these fairy tale farm team ideas that are getting bounced around here. They lost enough money the first time to keep them from doing it again.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Here's the holes in your plan. What your talking about is just having either a league of undrafted players who are playing against other players that didn't make an NFL team or the players as you say are just sitting on the bench giving them some game time which would be just a watered down extension of NFL preseason games. The next hole is when will this farm team league play? Will there be 32 teams in this league? If not are NFL teams going to share farm team league teams. Who then decides who has first crack at those farm team players? Next do you really think owners and coaches want to risk possible injury to those bench players getting injured in games that aren't NFL games? Not just where the farm teams play but where do they train and practice?

As I've said before the NFL owners tried that farm league with NFL Europe and there wasn't enough NFL talent to make it worth it and they folded that league. There are way more questions that I'm sure you don't have answers for but the owners already do have that will make them pass on these fantasy farm ream ideas.
The same way the NBA does it. G League is essentially what the NFL should go for.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
The same way the NBA does it. G League is essentially what the NFL should go for.

You can think that all you want but I very seriously doubt the owners will try any farm team type league again. Way back in the 70's teams had a 40 player max on the active roster and had what was called taxi squads with 7 players on it The they did away with the taxi squads and expanded the active roster size to 47 players. Then move to 1991 when the owners started the WLAF with was later just called NFL Europe. The NFL had TV contracts with both CBS and NBC and when that die the NFL started back up what was once called the taxi squads but was then instead called the practice squads which each team could have 8 players on it. The owners decided that this was money better spent than having a much more expensive farm team league. For those same reasons the owners aren't going to again start another expensive farm team league especially with the concerns about the current NFL and the current crisis. During the 20, years between both times the XFL was tried the NFL moved along fine and didn't try any farm team leagues and I seriously don't they will try again.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
Yes. I am shocked that they didn't have a secret vault set aside in case of a global pandemic.

It just tells me they didn’t have enough financial backing in the first place assuming everything doesn’t go perfect. AEW wrestling has been around for about a year and granted they are still able to produce tv shows but either way they likely wouldn’t immediately be out of business if they had to cancel shows for the foreseeable future. Just using them as an example bc I’m unaware of other new sport leagues.

did they even reach out to the NFL first? I think joining the NFL as a developmental league would have behooved both leagues

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You can think that all you want but I very seriously doubt the owners will try any farm team type league again. Way back in the 70's teams had a 40 player max on the active roster and had what was called taxi squads with 7 players on it The they did away with the taxi squads and expanded the active roster size to 47 players. Then move to 1991 when the owners started the WLAF with was later just called NFL Europe. The NFL had TV contracts with both CBS and NBC and when that die the NFL started back up what was once called the taxi squads but was then instead called the practice squads which each team could have 8 players on it. The owners decided that this was money better spent than having a much more expensive farm team league. For those same reasons the owners aren't going to again start another expensive farm team league especially with the concerns about the current NFL and the current crisis. During the 20, years between both times the XFL was tried the NFL moved along fine and didn't try any farm team leagues and I seriously don't they will try again.
Its about improving the product. A farm system will improve the product as opposed to you having to get rid of Taco Charlton after 2 years you could've sent him to your farm system the 1st year. Or Trysten Hill.

You keep talking about NFL Europe...what I'm proposing isn't NFL Europe...

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Its about improving the product. A farm system will improve the product as opposed to you having to get rid of Taco Charlton after 2 years you could've sent him to your farm system the 1st year. Or Trysten Hill.

You keep talking about NFL Europe...what I'm proposing isn't NFL Europe...

And again what you're not getting is that the owners already tried your idea of a farm team league with NFL Europe. NFL Europe isn't what you're talking about but the owners sunk a lot of money into the NFL Europe and it didn't produce enough actual NFL type talent so they closed it down. Do you actually think that you have thought of something the owners haven't and that they just decided that the cost to fund such a very small amount of talent that would actually make a 55 man roster isn't worth the cost that a farm team league would cost.

Your examples of Taco Charlton and Trysten Hill is poor. Since the NFL started the college draft there have been mistakes made on players that have been drafted whether the player was just not as good as they thought or was put in a scheme that was not right for the skill sets for that player. A farm team league isn't going to make a player who's skill sets aren't a good fit any better for that team.

Just chalk this up to one of those things that if you had a magic wand what would you do type of things because the owners already learn about the farm team,league and the cost vs reward and aren't interested.

coogrfan

Reaction score
Their ratings were declining steadily every week. You’re one of the few who loved the product which is why the XFL once again shutdown.

The league failed because of the pandemic. What the hell are you babbling about?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The league failed because of the pandemic. What the hell are you babbling about?

What the hell are you babbling about this is the second time the XFL has folded. All these new football leagues keep folding because not enough fans are interested. Wake up!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Why does that not surprise me?

I wasn’t the only one who wasn’t watching which is why the XFL keeps folding. It was a scrub league full of NFL castoff’s and rejects. Deal with it!

coogrfan

Reaction score
What the hell are you babbling about this is the second time the XFL has folded. All these new football leagues keep folding because not enough fans are interested. Wake up!

Says the guy who admits he didn't watch a single snap.Just because you weren't interested doesn't mean no one was.

XFL 2.0 was more than meeting expectations before the pandemic hit. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Says the guy who admits he didn't watch a single snap.Just because you weren't interested doesn't mean no one was.

XFL 2.0 was more than meeting expectations before the pandemic hit. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about.

A lot of fans weren’t interested which is why the ratings were falling each week. You must really be bored if you want to argue about the legitimacy of the XFL. lol

coogrfan

Reaction score
A lot of fans weren’t interested which is why the ratings were falling each week. You must really be bored if you want to argue about the legitimacy of the XFL. lol

What can I say? Ignorance and arrogance get my blood up. :cool:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
What can I say? Ignorance and arrogance get my blood up. :cool:

You honestly believe the XFL would have survived had it not been for the pandemic? If there was hope for that league it would have returned in 2021.