XFL shutting down

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
The only way an XFL type league will work is if it is NFL supported (see G League) and teams are actual farm systems of some sort.

Let NFL practice squad players play in XFL.
Biggest thing is LET NFL 3rd string QBs (they'd have to define this very specifically but perhaps each team could block only 2 QBs) play in XFL.
QB play is issue with lesser leagues.
Good idea. Also think the Xfl would do well in cities that dont have any kind of professional team. I would think states like Idaho, Nebraska, Wyoming, New Mexico, and Utah would have supported it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
When they first announced, I was thinking it might be more fun than the NFL.

It likely comes back, though. Just doesn't make sense this year.

Doubt it will come back anytime soon if ever. It took 19 years for the XFL to give it a second try. The NFL season is saturated with football these days. There’s more games available than ever. It’s football overload by the time the Super Bowl is over. Not many fans are in the mood to watch a castoff league just a couple of weeks after the Super Bowl.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
i applied for a sideline / press pass. we were covering local sports to a degree on my site and i had someone doing legends basketball in frisco and PBR rodeo as well. when i asked about a pass for the renegades, it was really a "you're not worth our time" response.

i 100% agree i'm a small guy. but when "go away son you bother me" came back i politely asked what i could do to work my way towards being granted that pass. nothing.

woulda been cool. and while i'm not shocked at their answer, it does make me wonder how their PR handled other requests.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
The only way an XFL type league will work is if it is NFL supported (see G League) and teams are actual farm systems of some sort.

Biggest thing is LET NFL 3rd string QBs (they'd have to define this very specifically but perhaps each team could block only 2 QBs) play in XFL.

agree.

NFL uses NCAA as its minor league though.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

Ive always agree with this as well,, would make the NFL a much deeper league from top to bottom.
A lot of young players get old on the shelf quickly in the NFL, only so many you can dress on gameday.
Having a farm system of maybe 15 players, there doesn't even need to be a game structure, just an expanded PS,, but leave the PS,,
add an expansion of 15, they can get plenty of simulation reps, mastering the playbook, scheme, main thing is they are active,, when you want to call one up, he replaces one of your PS players, and that PS player is no longer retained,, FA PS guy...lol
There would have to be certain margins in place,,, Like you couldn't just have 15 QBs

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Surprised it's going under right now, why not wait things out? Did they not have the money? Surely they would've had extra money for something like this.
Yes. I am shocked that they didn't have a secret vault set aside in case of a global pandemic.

Flamma

Reaction score
Last time they were up, they deserved to fail. This time feels a little different because I feel like they weren't trying to create a circus and were actually putting effort towards being a legitimate league.

Their kickoff setup is light years ahead of the NFL. Whoever thought of that should be working for the NFL by the end of today. It retains the big play potential of a kickoff while also reduces the massive collisions. It looks funny, but it's a perfect compromise. Given the option to do away with kickoffs all together (as it would seem the NFL wants to do) or adopting the XFL kickoff, I'll take the XFL kickoff every damn time.

Kickoffs were great, I agree. They even put it back to the 30 I believe. The only problem is they had to resort to a gimmick to replace onside kicks. Then more gimmicks for OT and extra points. For me it was hard to watch.

Football is a high impact sport. Stop trying to remove impact. Safer doesn't always mean improvement. Anyone that has ever played football as a WR/KR always knew a kickoff was rough. That was the one play that would give me butterflies (and contusions) but I loved it. It gets the adrenalin flowing. If I was playing football today at any level I would be very disappointed with the new kickoff rules.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Sucks. I actually think they had a solid product. Just poor timing for them unfortunately. I think at the very least the NFL should see this as a chance to offer up some form of minor league system for their talent.

The NFL tried that it was called NFL Europe. The owners saw far to little usable talent that ended up in the NFL to continue funding that league so it died. The XFL may have a small handful, maybe 4 or 5 players, who may get invited to a NFL training camp primarily as camp bodies, but the XFL was never looked at as a feeder league for the NFL.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

The NFL tried something like that called the NFL Europe and there was not enough players to make the jump to the NFL that the owners decided to pull the plug on that and it died.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score

None of those "wannabe" leagues will ever succeed unless they evolve into a league where teams are allowed to have a "minor league" team team then maybe fans will be more interested in their NFL teams minor league team much like MLB except just one team.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
What caught my attention was the transparency of the officials and their calls in real time.

After a lifetime of secrecy with ref calls..

this was brilliant.

The only better thing would be if the viewer at home could do a poll in real time about whether they agreed with the call or not.

Add interactive features like that and football would be off the charts popular.

I do not think it would even be hard to do with technology today.

:thumbup:

Ya and then you'll be asking for real time polling across the bottom of the screen on TV shows on whether you like the show too. The audience views and/or desires on calls has ZERO to do with the actual game so that will never happen.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
None of those "wannabe" leagues will ever succeed unless they evolve into a league where teams are allowed to have a "minor league" team team then maybe fans will be more interested in their NFL teams minor league team much like MLB except just one team.

And just how many NFL owners are going to want to spring for a minor league where the vast majority of players won't ever see the 55 man roster They tried that once it was called NFL Europe and that lasted about 5 years and was gone.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The NFL tried something like that called the NFL Europe and there was not enough players to make the jump to the NFL that the owners decided to pull the plug on that and it died.
Far more expensive to run teams in Europe than a couple hours drive from their teams primary home.
A San Antonio team stocked with Cowboys and Texans would do quite well.

The XFL and AFL had a chance this time but didn't have the cushy TV contracts to buoy them long enough to get going.
The only issue I had was QB play which could be rectified with rule changes or with access to NFL 3rd stringers.

Having an expanded practice squad of say 10-12 guys that all were assigned out to XFL teams would work quite well.

Will McClay once coached the Arena League Desperadoes.
You can create pipelines and elevate talent.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Good idea. Also think the Xfl would do well in cities that dont have any kind of professional team. I would think states like Idaho, Nebraska, Wyoming, New Mexico, and Utah would have supported it.
A marriage of proper town with teams they pseudo follow would work well.
An Omaha team that has Vikings and chiefs or Bears assignee's....

San Diego with Rams/49ers.
Portland with Raiders/Hawks

There will be some stretches but you can def make things work.

I really enjoyed the San Antonio AFL team.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The NFL tried that it was called NFL Europe. The owners saw far to little usable talent that ended up in the NFL to continue funding that league so it died. The XFL may have a small handful, maybe 4 or 5 players, who may get invited to a NFL training camp primarily as camp bodies, but the XFL was never looked at as a feeder league for the NFL.

But it should be is my point. This isn't NFL Europe. There are some gifted guys who didn't get drafted who need a look. Something other than preseason. XFL didn't have all the top talent. Some of them are rotting on the bench. That's why the NFL needs to have their own minor league so they can at least showcase some talent that they may have rotting on the bench.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
But it should be is my point. This isn't NFL Europe. There are some gifted guys who didn't get drafted who need a look. Something other than preseason. XFL didn't have all the top talent. Some of them are rotting on the bench. That's why the NFL needs to have their own minor league so they can at least showcase some talent that they may have rotting on the bench.

The players that don’t get drafted who may have potential get invited to training camps and are put on practice squads. You’re not going to learn much watching players have some success against scrubs in a watered down league full of castoffs and rejects. You need to see them perform against NFL talent.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So sad, the crowd was asked for a reaction and he said "I will just have to win other tickets on the radio".