Ya'll still miss Kellen Moore?

pansophy

Reaction score
Herbert is 5th in QBR, so I would say we “made the right decision” because he sucked. As the new offense gets installed red zone is improving. We are 6th in TOP this year instead of 22nd, so McCarthy got what he wanted in that regard, even if the offense is looking more and more similar to last year.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Staley is the main problem with the Chargers. He should have been gone a long time ago and will be this off season. Too early to comment on Moore. The Chargers defense is, and has been, a sieve for the past 4 years. Dreadful. Get rid of Staley and go to work on that defense or it doesn’t matter who is going to run the offense.
Moore sucks

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Stupid take. The Cowboys had a top 5 offense in the league for years. To say he is trash is not an impartial look at reality but a partial look at a wholistic analysis that ignores many other factors.
I agree I don't believe he is trash. I believe is intelligent and creative. What he is not is great on game day. As I have said many times, his downfall and the downfall of Jason Garrett before him was the whole "take what the defense gives you " mentality. It's too passive. Most defenses are designed not to "give" you anything. At least not anything you want. But because the Garrett/Moore approach leaned on being reactive to what the defense "give" they could be manipulated into running the wrong play at the wrong time too often. That's why the offense almost always ran better when we were in no-huddle whether it be with Dak or with Romo before him. Romo eventually got to be smarter about calling plays than the guys calling plays for him and Dak eventually got to that point as well. The problem was that being smarter than the play caller did not always mean you were smarter than the opposing DC. So sometimes neither QB could overcome the limitations in the offense. What we are seeing now is that Dak, with the help of McCarthy and Schottie might actually BE smarter than opposing DCs. At least he's been smarter than the last 6. We will see if that continues but right now he is seeing what the defense is trying to do to the offense and attacking it rather than laying back and "taking what is given." It's a very subtle difference.. but if you look closely you can see it.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
I agree I don't believe he is trash. I believe is intelligent and creative. What he is not is great on game day. As I have said many times, his downfall and the downfall of Jason Garrett before him was the whole "take what the defense gives you " mentality. It's too passive. Most defenses are designed not to "give" you anything. At least not anything you want. But because the Garrett/Moore approach leaned on being reactive to what the defense "give" they could be manipulated into running the wrong play at the wrong time too often. That's why the offense almost always ran better when we were in no-huddle whether it be with Dak or with Romo before him. Romo eventually got to be smarter about calling plays than the guys calling plays for him and Dak eventually got to that point as well. The problem was that being smarter than the play caller did not always mean you were smarter than the opposing DC. So sometimes neither QB could overcome the limitations in the offense. What we are seeing now is that Dak, with the help of McCarthy and Schottie might actually BE smarter than opposing DCs. At least he's been smarter than the last 6. We will see if that continues but right now he is seeing what the defense is trying to do to the offense and attacking it rather than laying back and "taking what is given." It's a very subtle difference.. but if you look closely you can see it.
Well said, Ronnie, I 100% agree.

And the book is still out on McCarthy too, we need to see how he adjusts in the second halves of big games, and how he and Dak respond to 4th quarter pressure.

SackMaster

Reaction score
Lets look at production.

Despite Dallas' slow start on offense this year, and a running game that has yet to take off, lets look at offensive Touchdowns:

Passing TDs:
Cowboys = 23, T-2nd in the NFL, 1 behind Buffalo, Tied with Miami​
Chargers = 21, T-5th in the NFL​

Rushing TDs:
Cowboys = 10, T-12th in the NFL​
Chargers = 9, T-14th in the NFL​

In both cases, Dallas has more. Not a LOT more, but more nonetheless.

What's even funnier, is that the Chargers are actually better at Redzone TD%:
Cowboys = 54.35% (16th)​
Chargers = 63.89% (4th)​

So either Dallas is more explosive OR we get into the Redzone far more often ... right?

Big play passes (>25 yards)
Cowboys = 29 (2nd)​
Chargers = 25 (T-6th)​

Big play rushes (>10 yards)
Cowboys = 34 (10th)​
Chargers = 27 (23rd)​

Red Zone Scoring Attempts per Game:
Cowboys = 4.2 (1st)​
Chargers = 3.3 (T-13th)​

Never mind. The Dallas offense is BOTH more explosive and gets into the RZ more often.

How about holding onto the ball?

Time of Possession:
Cowboys = 31:39 (6th)​
Chargers = 28:32 (26th)​
And Dallas is able to do all that without a "rEaL nFl QuArTeRbAcK" and a "sTuPiD pLaYcAlLiNg HeAdCoAcH" ... :muttley:

So no, I don't miss KM for a single second.
:thumbup:

leeblair

Reaction score
I've been hard on McCarthy until as of late when he's been calling a good game as OC and the play designs have been more creative using the Cowboys talent. And the Cowboys are getting off to faster starts (though this team still goes 3&out on the first drive too often :mad: ).

But even when the offense was struggling earlier in the season, and the Chargers seemingly had a "better" offense at the time, I still didn't long for Moore to return.

But many fans did lament his departure, as if Moore was going to give the Cowboys some decided edge this season.
:huh:

You see the Chargers struggling at 4-7 with him as the OC (though, yes, their HC isn't really good either so...)

And why is elite arm-talent, high-hope Herbert getting a pass every year? Yes, you can point at the HC, but Herbert's routinely coming up short in Big Moments, and the pundits don't give him a hard time.

I wonder if we go over to the Chargers forum, will we see a loss of hope in their QB, since the Chargers are taking another swan dive this season? But he's younger, so I guess age matters, a longer leash...for now.
Moore should have been the quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys for the past seven years and even now, and I am sure he has a lot of knowledge, but I never was sold on him as a coordinator.
But he was the best quarterback in Dallas for 9 years.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Moore should have been the quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys for the past seven years and even now, and I am sure he has a lot of knowledge, but I never was sold on him as a coordinator.
LMAO!

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
No, don't miss him, though really wouldn't have minded if wasn't let go, he was and even still is pretty green for an OC. I think he might still turn out to be an excellent OC in a few years. Might not, either, of course, just a bit early to tell..

If he'd stayed, who knows how the Cowboys might be? We'll never know....

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
:facepalm:

I'm so glad the Cowboys fans are indeed just that, FANS. Let's just watch the game and root for the team.

:flagwave:

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Stupid reply.

My eyes work very well and Moore is trash as an offensive coordinator. The Cowboys had a top 5 offense DESPITE Moore.

How's our offense looking without Moore right now??? Exactly.... how is Moore looking without Dallas???

Looking like 4-7 from where I'm standing.
Ah, so it’s “your eyes” can see it, but when Dak is rebuked with the same criticism by others, it’s why aren’t you looking at the receivers, or the offensive line, or the coaching, yada yada yada.

So then maybe they still have a top 5 offense despite McCarthy, right?

Give me a break dude. You’re just digging your own hole.

Proof

Reaction score
Who's WRs are better?
Our defense feasts on EVERYBODY
Our offense feasts on the weak.
Monday is like clueless day in here, glad you showed.
can't be serious. JUST for wr's: eagles, dolphins, bengals, seahawks. when we include te's, as you did, it expands to 9ers, lions and vikings.

i love the cowboys, so i'm not much for arguing against them, but who is the everybody the defense feasted on? cardinals? eagles? 9ers? lol. your avatar suits you, moron.

Big_D

Reaction score
They were dependent on the home run with Moore. There was no rhyme or reason to the playcalling. Mike seems to put a lot more thought into down and distance and developing a game plan. KM could be a quality OC, I just don’t get why these young guys are fast tracked without legitimate experience and a quality resume. Working with Jerry Jones and then Staley isn’t the best career path. His tree is pretty weak at the moment, that’s why working your way up the ladder is so important.

GINeric

Reaction score
Ah, so it’s “your eyes” can see it, but when Dak is rebuked with the same criticism by others, it’s why aren’t you looking at the receivers, or the offensive line, or the coaching, yada yada yada.

So then maybe they still have a top 5 offense despite McCarthy, right?

Give me a break dude. You’re just digging your own hole.

Sorry to kill your lil agenda.... but I was the one calling for Cooper Rush to keep the starting role even when Dak got healthy IF Rush was able to lead us past the Eagles when he was on a nice lil win streak.

That's on record on this forum my guy!!!

So when Dak got rebuked, most times it was justifiable.

Again, sorry to kill your lil agenda, but you gotta try harder kid. Next time leave out the lies when it comes to how I feel about other's criticism of Dak. I've actually agreed with most of their criticism.