Yeah, the stinking Commanders dont have a 2nd & 4th next year in 2007 draft

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Birdlives said:
Uh oh, the Skins don't have all their draft picks, alert the media. I guess they might as well quit right now and forget ever winning a Superbowl cause every team that keeps alot of draft picks has won a Superbowl, just like the eagles.

:rolleyes:

the Pats and Steelers keep all their picks...

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
jrockster77 said:
See...it was just a communication breakdown. We've got different definitions for the phrase. I believe you knew exactly what I was talking about, you just wanted to argue for the sake of arguing. That's cool...whatever.

Hostile was responding to YOUR quote about some Super Bowl almost 20 years ago, nothing else, God, you are dense, he even told you, and you still dont' get it

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
jrockster77 said:
Campbell -- well, some had him rated as the second best QB behind Smith.

:laugh1: that's not something to brag about, that year was one of the weakest in history for Qb prospects, and none had Campbell rated as the 2nd best QB, it was between Rodgers and Smith, show me a link that says otherwise and I'll believe you

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
illone said:
this isn't the same Commanders team that overpays for fading vets and flashy superstars who don't understand teamwork.

you're right, they trade for average players in hopes they can fulfill the minimal potential save Carter, that they have

you're movin' on up! :lmao:

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
illone said:
Injuries are a concern for any team in the NFL. You telling me you wouldn't be concerned if you lost one or two olinemen for the season?

he's saying draft picks give you talented youngsters, which equates to talented depth, less draft picks means more UDFAs and backups who were released, as your depth

that's a scary thought, moreso than teams who draft, if the injury bug hits

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
jrockster77 said:
Tell that to the 2000 Ravens...thanks in advance.

uh, the Ravens won w/ one of the best Ds in history, most of them draft picks of their own, and Jamal Lewis was a draft pick of theirs...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
but they won one playoff game :rolleyes:

And what a stirring win it was, with the Skins marching up and down the field, racking up an AWESOME 120 yards of total offense...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
jrockster77 said:
Hmmm....a mediocre receiver in a TERRIBLE offense schooled the crap out of your defense last year....what does that say about the Cowboys???

he had one big game, whoopee, but 730 yards and 5TDs strikes me as average

oh, I forgot, HE HAS POTENTIAL!! :laugh1:

btw, we shutdown Steve Smith, TO, PLaxico Burress, Tony Gonazlez and Rod Smith, so it more than evens out

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
jrockster77 said:
New England took a chance on a QB that EVERY TEAM IN THE NFL thought was bad. Yeah, good drafting, but to use them as an example is just ********. They got lucky.

yeah, they got lucky 3 times in 5 years :rolleyes: you're an idiot

jrockster77 said:
Where's Dallas' 6th round QB that's going to win them the next 3 out of 4 superbowls????

hey, I'm not acting like you idiots and calling the boys championship contenders, dont' know why you said that

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
Who has the best OL depth in the NFL ?

And not just that, but the team has to have at least a formidable line to begin with.

To me RB depth is the easiest thing to have. After that everyone is usually pretty equal.

No team really has any depth. The depth argument might be the worst thing ever. People that say the Commanders depth is worst than any other team, simply dont pay attention.

Someone tell me what team has quality depth across the board at the skill offense positions alone. It doesnt exist.

QB's alone: The Dolphins have a QB coming off of major surgery and a backup that can barely tie his own shoes. The Patriots backup QB was a career backup, even in college. The Ravens backup QB has proven he cant play in this league.

There are a few players at backup spots here and there that may make a difference but overall no team has good depth.

And before anyone brings up RBs. On paper... most teams have a solid backup RB.

so since most teams dont' have good depth, you feel it's right that you shouldn't attempt to find, and develop good depth yourselves? brilliant

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear said:
And what a stirring win it was, with the Skins marching up and down the field, racking up an AWESOME 120 yards of total offense...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

:lmao2: :lmao: :bang2:

silverbear

Reaction score
random Cs said:
Probably, our LB's coach said he needed to learn the consistency to be an every down player.

Sounds like a fair criticism to me, Clemons to this point in his career has been extremely one dimensional...

Well, Robert McCune, from Louisville, will probably end up taking the spot.

I think that sounds right... now, do we know that he has what it takes to make it in the NFL?? Seems to me that about the only thing we know is that the guy has a bodybuilder's physique...

I don't wanna talk trash about Ray, he's a real good guy. Raymer had a pathetic season, he was awful.

Oh, I'm not saying Cory is GOOD, that would be hypocritical on my part after I trashed him pretty thoroughly the last coupla years... I'm just saying that as bad as he is, Walter and Pucillo are worse... Walter I can judge for myself, I saw him play, but I'll admit that I'm basing my critiques of Pucillo on his career stats to date, and on the generally lousy offenses he played for...

Walt has a terrible last season. Kenny is bigger and more physical; a better fit for our defense.

And yet, Walt has more tackles per game than Kenny does (3.9 to 2.9), more interceptions per game (.14 per game to .05), and more passes defensed per game (.68 to .38)... the first stat calls into dispute your claim that Wright is "more physical" than Harris is, the last 2 stats suggest that Harris is better in coverage (which is, after all, a DB's primary concern)... I've already said twice now that I like Wright, but you Skins fans have been dogging Harris unfairly for some time now, I think...

You guys starting him at LG? Keep him there, he seems outmatched when he plays OT.

An astute observation... yes, the plan is to play him at guard... really, there's no need to use him at tackle (though it's a nice bit of flexibility to have in a pinch), with Flozell Adams, Rob Petitti, Jason Fabini and Marc Colombo all in the mix there...

There was a little more going on there. Though Randy was a huge loss, Brunell was also hurt

Which just may have been the result of the collapse in blocking late in the season... so, I'd say that if the Skins suffer too many problems injury-wise on the offensive line this season, then it greatly increases the chances that y'all will lose Mark at some point in the season as well...

and all those games you mentioned were on the road, where our offense was inconsistent all year.

Perhaps, but EIGHTY YARDS less per game than they averaged when healthy??

Clearly, that can't be explained away by "the Skins were on the road those 3 games"...

I'm finding your style of arguing to be quite enjoyable, certainly a vast improvement over SOME Skins fan in this thread who, when confronted with an argument he finds inconvenient, resorts to rather juvenile name-calling...

Birdlives

Reaction score
silverbear said:
I am indeed, and was highly amused when you guys signed him... your characterization of him a bit later in this post is pretty much accurate...

Pucillo started 6 of the 10 games he played for the Browns last year... the Browns ranked 26th in total offense, suggesting their offensive line was not real good...

The year before, he played in 2 games for the Bills, starting none of them... and in 2003, he started 12 of 13 games played for Buffalo... the Bills ranked 30th in the league in total offense... again, not a glowing recommendation for his talents...

I don't have time read through everything said but we'll start here. Pucillo was on a terrible offensive team last year so as depth he's ain't good. I believe that is your contention here. However, Kosier, who started for the SF and Detroit offenses, he's stellar. Interesting fact when you apply this theory to your own team. You speak of the Skins having no depth at O-line? They have about as much as anyone else. They have a solid defensive backfield with 7 good or starting quality DB's in Springs, Rogers, Wright, Jimoh, Talyor, Archuleta, and Prileou. QB is irrelevant because no team has a starting quality QB in the back up role. They have great depth at WR and RB, as well as D-Line. Their best D-Lineman is Cornelius Griffin, a solid starter and top ten DT in the NFC. LB is okay as well with the system that Williams runs, as we've plugged guys in successfully for two years now.

Now let's turn it around for a minute. What quality depth do the cowboys have at RB, WR, O-Line, D-Line and LB? My impression based on your posts in here is that you equate stats and lack of knowlege of our players with a lack of depth. Certainly that's the case when you state that Chris Clemons isn't a good back up LB and base this analysis on stats. Two years ago you probably said the same thing about Lemar Marshall and Antonio Pierce and look at them now.

Bottom line it. It's a coaches league. Talent levels aren't as far apart between teams now as they have been in the past. Superior coaching will always win out over superior talent. As examples, the Steelers and Patriots have been mentioned as teams that draft well. Really? Because the other thing they have in common is some of the best coaching in the NFL. Other teams rely primarily on the draft and not free agency and they still haven't won anything. Why? Inferior coaching. Detroit ain't knocking down any doors to FA and they ain't knocking down the playoff door either. Want some more? How about SF, Houston, New York Jets, and Baltimore? They haven't done alot of work in FA and rely primarily on the draft. One of them has won a SB in the last ten years. Simply put, no team has depth at every position. Players will get hurt. You can throw all the stats around you want but the reality is, the superior coaches will get good production out of the players they have regardless of whether they are UDFA's or top end picks.

In the end, we'll be just fine because we have some of the best coaches in the NFL. Considering Parcells lost Payton, relies on Zimmer as DC, and hasn't won anything without Belichik, can you say the same thing? :cool:

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Birdlives said:
Bottom line it. It's a coaches league.

do the coaches make the important plays, or failing ones, on the field?

Birdlives said:
Superior coaching will always win out over superior talent.

and superior coaching with superior talent wins over all ;) which bodes well for the Cowboys, I don't know about y'all though

Birdlives

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
do the coaches make the important plays, or failing ones, on the field?

and superior coaching with superior talent wins over all ;) which bodes well for the Cowboys, I don't know about y'all though

I guess you don't read too well do ya? By your standard we win because Gibb/Williams/Saunders> than Parcells/Palmer/Zimmer

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Birdlives said:

I guess you don't read too well do ya? By your standard we win because Gibb/Williams/Saunders> than Parcells/Palmer/Zimmer

no, YOU don't read well, because I said action the FIELD is more important than coaches, of course they help, a successful gameplan wins games, but it's the players on the field who actually do it

silverbear

Reaction score
Birdlives said:
I don't have time read through everything said but we'll start here. Pucillo was on a terrible offensive team last year so as depth he's ain't good. I believe that is your contention here.

No, my contention is that EVERY offense he's played on has been pretty bad... and generally, that goes directly to the quality of the offensive LINE play...

However, Kosier, who started for the SF and Detroit offenses, he's stellar.

Kindly point me to where I said that Kosier was "stellar"... absent that, I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't distort my arguments that way...

The TRUTH is, I'm a little leery of Kosier... but another truth is that he was a good deal more highly sought after in this free agent market than Pucillo was...

You speak of the Skins having no depth at O-line? They have about as much as anyone else.

No, they don't... in fact, their depth situation on the OL is one of the worst in the league... for sure, the Cowboys have better quality backups, with more NFL experience, than the Skins do...

They have a solid defensive backfield with 7 good or starting quality DB's in Springs, Rogers, Wright, Jimoh, Talyor, Archuleta, and Prileou.

1) Calling Jimoh "solid" is a stretch... he's the definition of a "fringe" ballplayer...

2) You misspelled "Prioleau"... how can we be expected to take you seriously, when you can't even spell the names of the players on your own team correctly...

3) Even if I gave you Jimoh, 7 DBs is the bare MINIMUM number a team needs, when most teams have defensive sets that require the use of 7 DBs at the same time... so if even one of those 7 goes down, then you're stuck with the likes of Christian Morton, Dmitri Patterson, Curry Burns et al...

They have great depth at WR and RB, as well as D-Line.

I dunno that your depth on the DL is that great, but I'll give you the depth at WR and RB... never said they lacked depth everywhere...

Now let's turn it around for a minute. What quality depth do the cowboys have at RB,

Marion Barber III started 2 games for the Cowboys as a rookie, gained 538 yards and scored 5 TDs... he's the primary backup to Julius Jones, and combined, they totalled over 1500 yards (1531, to be exact)...

After Terrell Owens and Terry Glenn, we have Patrick Crayton (a 3rd year player who has already caused you Skins fans a few nightmares)... then we have rookie draftee Skyler Green, a quick, smallish WR who will likely be our starting kick returner as well... then we have Miles Austin and Sam Hurd, two very intriguing undrafted rookie free agents... then we have Terrence Copper and Jamaica Rector returning... Rector is an intriguing story, Parcells is considering trying him at CB as well... not switching him to CB fulltime, mind you, but having him try some double duty... Copper is nothing more than a solid special teamer, but will likely be our 5th WR... a sleeper might be JR Tolver, and finally, we come to Ahmad Merritt, who is very fast, but doesn't seem to offer much in the way of receiving ability... I expect he'll be an early cut...

So basically, you've got TO, Glenn and Crayton, all of them at least semi-proven, then (in my order of preference), you've got Austin, Rector, Hurd, Copper and Tolver vying for 2 roster spots...

Either Al Johnson or Andre Gurode will win the starting center job... if it's Johnson, Gurode will be the top backup at guard and center... Andre has 44 starts in the NFL, in 4 seasons... Jason Fabini, Rob Petitti and Marc Colombo will be competing for the starting job at RT, the others will be backups... Petitti started all 16 games as a rookie last year (and struggled late, but there are valid reasons for that), Fabini has started in all 114 games he's played in the NFL, Colombo is a former first round pick by the Bears whose career has been derailed by injury, but who is now healthy... even he's started 7 of the 23 games he's played in his career... there's 5 players, 3 of whom will start, all of whom are better than any backup the Skins have...

Stephen Peterman is a 3rd year player, a former 3rd round draft pick who has also seen his career hurt by injuries... this is a make or break year for him... Cory Procter, Shannon Snell and Matt Tarullo are just roster filler, but they're each better than all but 2 of your backups (that being Tyson Walter and Mike Pucillo)...

D-Line and LB?

ROTFLMAO... son, you just proved that you don't know jack about the Cowboys, 'cause we're VERY deep at those positions, and most of the depth is young depth...

On the DL, you have Marcus Spears and Chris Canty, both 300 pounders, starting at DE... after them, you've got Greg Ellis, a veteran who's led the team in sacks the last 5 seasons, and Jason Hatcher, a rookie draft pick who is drawing comparisons to Leon Lett (and who will also eventually play at around 300 pounds)... ;ast year's rookie draft pick Jay Ratliff can play DE or DT... they're so deep at DE that it's entirely possible that Kenyon Coleman will NOT make the team (he only started 5 games for the Boys last year)...

It's not QUITE as good at NT, where Jason Ferguson is the veteran starter... after him, the job will come down to a battle between this year's draftee Montavious Stanley, NFLE signee Samuel Taulealea, a 340 pounder who reportedly has incredible leg strength, 2nd year player Thomas Johnson and the aforementioned Ratliff...

At LB, the starters will likely be DeMarcus Ware, Bradie James, Akin Ayodele and Bobby Carpenter... for depth, they have Al Singleton, who started 33 games for the Boys the last 3 years; Scott Shanle, who started 11 games for the Boys the last 2 years; Kevin Burnett, a 2nd round draft pick last year who was hurt most of the season; special teams standout Rocky Boiman, who's started 10 of the 54 NFL games he's played in... sleepers include Ryan Fowler, a 3rd year player who started 3 games for the Boys last season when the injury bug bit, highly regarded undrafted rookie free agents Kai Parham from Virginia and Oliver Hoyte from Notre Dame, and fringe prospect JJ Horne, a rookie out of Pitt... so we have at least 4 semi-proven backups for the 4 starters in Singleton, Shanle, Burnett and Boiman... no depth problems here...

My impression based on your posts in here is that you equate stats and lack of knowlege of our players with a lack of depth.

Once again, a Skins fan desperately wants to think that I don't know his team's roster... well, hoss, I've got news for you-- where I live, in the Shenandoah Valley, Skins coverage is EVERYWHERE-- in the Washington Post, in the local papers, our local TV stations are the DC stations... and since my nephew/roommate is a lifelong Skins fan, the only time we DON'T watch their games is if the Boys are playing at the same time, and even then, we do a LOT of switching between games...

Certainly that's the case when you state that Chris Clemons isn't a good back up LB and base this analysis on stats.

Never said he wasn't good, I said he was one dimensional... and you can dis stats all you want, but I have used them for years, I've learned how to use them to analyze what went on down on the field, and I am confident that I can give you a good read on how the game went, even if I didn't see it, by reading the stats sheet...

But my criticisms of Clemons run a bit deeper than that; you see, I'm a devoted draftaholic, and have reams of scouting reports to refer to from when a player came out of college (which in Chris' case, was 2003)... my favorite sources are Kiper's book, and Ourlads'...

Kiper talks about Chris' regrettable tendency toward being injury prone, saying "With injuries downgrading his production or forcing him to miss time in two of his three seasons, durability is a concern"... and lo and behold, Chris has already missed 12 games in the last 2 years... clearly, durability is STILL a concern with him... Kiper goes on to remark on how inconsistent Clemons was in college, saying "When he was at full strength, he was fairvly productive ina very offense-laden SEC, although his performance level did vary some along the way"...

Summing up, Kiper considers Clemons to be rather injury prone, and rather inconsistent...

Ourlads is considerably more critical, saying "Not especially strong in the legs or upper body. Needs to use his hands better whent taking on blocks-- gets tied up too much. Often looks to duck around contact. Susceptible to low blocks. Not an immediate mover (Bear's insert-- this means he doesn't read the play well off the snap, what the pros often call "recognition")... somewhat hesitant... he takes bad angles at times and is an inconsistent tackler... not fluid in his change of direction. Needs work in coverage"...

Wow, what GLOWING scouting reports...

Two years ago you probably said the same thing about Lemar Marshall and Antonio Pierce and look at them now.

And yet another false assumption... never trashed either one of them, both were clearly better than any backup linebacker the Skins currently have...

Bottom line it. It's a coaches league.

Jimmy Johnson disagrees with you, he has always said you win with PLAYMAKERS in this league...

But as for your coaching, I see you Skins fans getting all giddy over Al Saunders, but there's one, LITTLE problem-- Saunders runs a 2 back offense, the Skins prefer more 2 TE sets... so either the offense will change significantly, in which case all you Skins' fans' talk about "continuity" will be right out the window, or Saunders will change his approach, in which case there has to be some doubt about how well he'll fare making such a change...

the Steelers and Patriots have been mentioned as teams that draft well. Really?

Yes, really...

Because the other thing they have in common is some of the best coaching in the NFL.

Yeah, good players will help make a coach look good... LOL...

Other teams rely primarily on the draft and not free agency and they still haven't won anything. Why? Inferior coaching.

Nope, inferior drafting, questionable personnel decisions in free agency... look at the consistently bad teams, and you'll see a bad front office, bringing in players of lower quality...

You can throw all the stats around you want but the reality is, the superior coaches will get good production out of the players they have regardless of whether they are UDFA's or top end picks.

Ultimately, there's only so much any coach can do to make chicken salad from chicken s***,,,

In the end, we'll be just fine because we have some of the best coaches in the NFL.

That's right, homer, your coaches will magically overcome injuries (if they happen)... you keep right on whistlin' past the graveyard, and ignore the fact that the guys you'll have to be bringing off the bench in those situations are inadequate by NFL standards... doesn't matter, Coach Joe will wave his magic wand over them, and make them PLAYERS...

Considering Parcells lost Payton, relies on Zimmer as DC, and hasn't won anything without Belichik, can you say the same thing? :cool:

Well, nobody can predict this year, but since the Boys were just BARELY behind the Skins last year (both in their record and in most statistical categories), and have had an even better offseason personnel-wise than the Skins have, I have every confidence they'll fare at least as well as the Skins do (again, the wild card being injury, any team can be decimated by too many injuries)... and for the long term, you bet your bippy (wow, did I just date myself, LOL) that I like the way the Boys are building a solid base of YOUNG talent, over the Skins' approach...

silverbear

Reaction score
Birdlives said:

Yup, you're an idiot...