Yeah, the stinking Commanders dont have a 2nd & 4th next year in 2007 draft

jrockster77

Reaction score
silverbear said:
OK, list all the Super Bowl winners from the past decade who have built primarily through free agency...
Its a combination, genius. But if you want an example of a DOMINATING team that did it the way Gibbs and co are, just take a look at the 2000 Ravens.

Silverbear....you obviously know very little about the Commanders, and are basing most of your arguments on hate for the team. I suggest doing a little research before you post again, as you have absolutely no clue what the **** you're talking about.

Thanks in advance.

jrockster77

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
yeah, wait a minute, what playoff...game...SSSSSS, plural, have you guys won w/ this strategy?

I know Pitt has won a championship w/ great drafting, New England has won 3 in 5 years because of great drafting

also notice those 2 teams don't spend much in free agency either

New England took a chance on a QB that EVERY TEAM IN THE NFL thought was bad. Yeah, good drafting, but to use them as an example is just ********. They got lucky.

Where's Dallas' 6th round QB that's going to win them the next 3 out of 4 superbowls????

jrockster77

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
Brandon Lloyd is a safe bet? if you like mediocrity at WR I guess

Hmmm....a mediocre receiver in a TERRIBLE offense schooled the crap out of your defense last year....what does that say about the Cowboys???

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
random Cs said:
We're developing Molinaro to play LT and we signed Tyson Walter, whom I'm sure you're familiar with.

I am indeed, and was highly amused when you guys signed him... your characterization of him a bit later in this post is pretty much accurate...

We also signed Mike Pucillo from Cleveland for the interior.

Pucillo started 6 of the 10 games he played for the Browns last year... the Browns ranked 26th in total offense, suggesting their offensive line was not real good...

The year before, he played in 2 games for the Bills, starting none of them... and in 2003, he started 12 of 13 games played for Buffalo... the Bills ranked 30th in the league in total offense... again, not a glowing recommendation for his talents...

For his 4 year career, Mike has played in 25 games, starting 18...

This kid Ike Ndukwe from Northwestern is supposed to make the team.

He might actually be their best backup right now, though of course he's still totally unproven... I find it significant that when first Randy Thomas and then Ray Brown went down, he still didn't see any playing time...

Clemons is the man; I'm sold on him. I've seen what he can do when healthy.

Yeah, he did suffer a season ending injury in 2004, but before that he was doing pretty well (3 sacks in 6 games)... the question is, was that six game stretch really indicative of how good he is, or was he just an unknown who wasn't drawing much attention from the opposing offenses?? Bottom line, he has 5 sacks in 20 games, which works out to an average of 4 sacks per 16 games played... he also has just 2 passes defensed in that time, and 16 total tackles, indicating that rushing the passer is just about his only real NFL skill...

I wouldn't give up Khary for any other back-up MLB in the nfl; special teams play has been a big problem the previous year.

Ahhh, but the discussion here isn't about special teams play, it's about linebacker play... as a linebacker, Campbell makes a good special teamer...

For openers, the guy's been awfully injury prone, having missed 23 games to injury in his first 4 seasons... this suggests that if you do have to count on him for extended playing time, he's liable to break down, too...

He also has all of 36 tackles in 37 games played, no sacks, no interceptions, no passes defensed...

We're trying. Journeymen O-Linemen aren't much, but they'll be an upgrade over 43yr old Ray Brown and Cory Raymer.

I couldn't disagree more... I was in awe of how well Brown was able to play at 80 years old (LOL), and I'd bet that if the Skins could talk him out of retirement, he could still outplay Pucillo and Walter... and Raymer, while a stiff, was still somewhat better than either Mike or Tyson as well...

We upgraded our secondary by replacing Walt Harris with Kenny;

While I like Kenny, I don't know if he's an upgrade over Walt... his one advantage is size, I could see him moving to safety in a pinch (which is why I would have liked it if the Boys had pursued him)...

Having Renaldo Wynn be able to be a back-up helps the D-Line rotation and our back-up DT's are all young; they should improve.

I have no real criticisms of your defensive line, other than them not being particularly good when it comes to rushing the passer... though Andre Carter offers them a bit more pass rush (not as much as a lot of Skins fans think, but a bit more rush), but that's offset by the removal of LaVar Arrington from the equation... for my money, he offered the same pass rush potential, if not more... mind you, I understand that the Skins needed to send LaVar packing, I'm just saying that I don't see a real improvement in their pass rush from trading off Arrington for Carter...

Well, I know my team. You sure you know yours?

LOL... if I know YOUR team that well, that I can comment at length on your BACKUPS, you might want to assume that I have at least the same knowledge of my own team...

Kosier is a bum!

There's a lot of folks-- including NFL talent evaluators-- who disagree with that opinion...

Point taken though, your O-Line depth is obviously above ours. But, we've had more stability in our starting 5 then you guys have.

Yes, you have... part of that comes from your starting offensive linemen being uncommonly durable, but part of that comes from nothing more than sheer luck... the thing is, you guys have beaten the odds for so long now that sooner or later, you're bound to get bit by the injury bug... if it's not this season, then you guys will be a dead mortal lock for 10-12 wins, easy... but if it IS this season, you might struggle to reach .500...

If Randy Thomas had gone down in game six rather than game fourteen (like Flozell Adams did), the Skins would have missed the playoffs last year... just look at their offensive output for the last game of the regular season and the two playoff games, and you'll see what I mean:

Week 17, Washington versus Philthydelphia: 62 plays, 279 total yards... 4.5 yards per play...

Wild Card Game versus Tampa Bay: 49 plays, 120 total yards... 2.4 yards per play...

Divisional Playoffs versus Seattle: 65 plays, 289 total yards... 4.6 yards per play...

Totals: 176 plays, 688 total yards... 3.9 yards per play... 229.3 yards per game...

If those numbers were extrapolated over an entire 16 game season, the Skins would have wound up 31st in total offense, ahead of only the Niners, and dead last in the league in yards per play...

For contrast, they averaged over 330 yards per game, and 5.1 yards per play, for the regular season... so their offensive production dropped off some 30 per cent when they lost ONE starter...

Now, I don't think the Skins would be THAT bad if they suffered a coupla injuries on the offensive line, but I will say that I wouldn't be startled to find them in the bottom ten in total offense if something like that happened... that's at the root of my argument about your team's depth problems...

, maybe we'll get lucky this season and be able to see how good your backups really are... :p: (found one)

LOL... for some reason, I find myself hoping we have the same kind of good luck on the injury front that the Skins had last year...

silverbear

Reaction score
jrockster77 said:
If you think the Oline depth of this year's team is WORSE than last year's team, then you have absolutely zero football knowledge, and are completely unqualified to even hold a football. I say you should be banned from further football discussion for at least two years...that's enough time to learn the game, don't ya think?

Your argument would be much more compelling if you offered something FACTUAL by way of rebuttal, rather than just another juvenile name-calling post...

I had Skins fans telling me I was clueless 2 years ago, when I told them that the center position was a huge black hole in the lineup... but since then, the Skins signed Cory Raymer, and when that proved to be a colossal joke, went out and signed the eminently mediocre Casey Rabach... seems the Skins agreed with me that they had a problem at center...

If I had a nickel for every one of you wannabe experts who argued with me, and tried to insult my football knowledge in the process, I'd be a wealthy Bear today... I'd have berries and salmon for breakfast, lunch and dinner, LOL...

I stand by my argument-- Ray Brown was, and probably still is, better than either Pucillo or Walter (as a Cowboys fan from day one of their existence, I know Tyson Walter very, very well, and am highly amused that he now plays for y'all)... for that matter, as bad as Raymer was, he was still as good as either of those stiffs...

So, y'all have lost Brown (your best backup last year) and Raymer, and replaced them with Walter and Pucillo... look at the numbers, homer:

Brown and Raymer have played in 360 NFL games, starting 288 of them... Walter and Pucillo have played in 65 NFL games, starting 27 of them... and both of them have played on rather BAD offenses (Walter with the Boys and the Texans, Pucillo with the Bills and Browns)...

Now, make a case that Tyson Walter and Mike Pucillo are superior to Ray Brown and Cory Raymer... or do you have anything other than BS and 'tude to bring to the argument??

The draft isn't that important, and FA mixed with the draft can be a winning formula.

Not the way the Skins are doing it, not in this day and age... a team like the Skins will win as long as they stay healthy, but implode if they don't get fortunate on the injury front...

If you can't realize that, you are a football novice...and know nothing about the league.

I believe I'll stack my credential as a knowledgeable football fan up against yours any day...

silverbear

Reaction score
jrockster77 said:
Yeah...because if you draft somebody, guaranteed they're gonna be quality depth.

I see-- you're saying stay away from the draft, because you MIGHT wind up drafting a bust...

Well, that's how you wind up with little to no depth on your roster... apparently, you lack the football knowledge to understand that injury is a part of the game, and the wise team plans for such injuries...

I mean, the Cowboys had so much depth and drafted so well that Torrin Tucker was their starting LT.

That only happened because Flozell Adams got hurt, and was indicative of a lack of depth on our part at the position... sorry, that doesn't disprove my argument at all...

Yeah...our nickel cornerback was the starter on the 7th ranked passing defense in the NFL last season. Yeah...our depth is terrible. :rolleyes:

ROTFLMAO... you really are an idiot...

As I expounded on at some length, the Skins currently have six quality defensive backs on their roster... problem is, virtually every team has some sets that require SEVEN DBs... and what happens if even one of those six has to miss time??

Answer-- Ade Jimoh, Christian Morton, Dmitri Patterson, Curry Burns et al...

Uhhh...if ANY team in the NFL has two offensive linemen or two defensive backs go down with injury, they're in trouble.

If the Boys lost 2 linemen, it would hurt, but the replacements they could bring off the bench would be significantly better than ANY backup you guys could bring off yours...

And if you think everything will be okay when Bleedsoe goes down, you're sadly mistaken.

Work on that reading comprehension, troll, I've already said I don't share the staff's enthusiasm for Tony Romo...

But unless "Bleedsoe" was an inadvertent typo, you've just regaled us with an INCREDIBLY stupid, juvenile insult, 'cause ol' Drew has actually proved to be rather durable in his NFL career... he's "only" played in his last 64 games without missing time... in his 13 year NFL career, he's played all 16 9 times, and only once has he failed to play in at least 13 games (2001, when he played in just 2 games, and IIRC it wasn't injury that took him out of the lineup then either)...

What's ironic about a SKINS FAN ragging on Bledsoe's ability to stay healthy is that YOUR quarterback hasn't been NEARLY as durable... in the same 13 years in the league, Brunell has played in 147 games, Bledsoe has played in 188... Mark has only played an entire 16 game schedule 3 times in those 13 years, compared to Bledsoe's 9 times...

A smart betting man, looking at those numbers, would put his money down on Drew Bledsoe playing as many, or more games this year than Mark Brunell does...

silverbear

Reaction score
jrockster77 said:
Wow....you're truly the dumbest person I've ever met. Congratulations.

What, you consider the truth to be "dumb"??

No wonder you're a Skins fan...

And once again, juvenile insults are not an adequate substitute for factual rebuttal... in fact, if anybody's making themselves look dumb in this thread, it's the guy who's doing nothing but slinging insults, because he doesn't have any facts to bring to the table...

That would be YOU, homer...

silverbear

Reaction score
jrockster77 said:
Its a combination, genius. But if you want an example of a DOMINATING team that did it the way Gibbs and co are, just take a look at the 2000 Ravens.

The Ravens' approach was not the same as the Skins' and you know it... but even if it was, what have they accomplished since then??

They got lucky by staying healthy for one year, then couldn't sustain their success... so, if it's a one year wonder that you hope your favorite team can become, then you're on the right path...

Silverbear....you obviously know very little about the Commanders,

It's rapidly becoming clear that I know your team better than you do... I have listed even the most fringe players on your roster in my arguments, and have offered their career stats to back up those arguments... and through it all, not ONCE have even attempted to argue the facts I've brought to the discussion...

and are basing most of your arguments on hate for the team.

That shows just how clueless you are-- I don't "hate" the Skins at all, in fact I haven't "hated" any team since Buddy Ryan retired from the Iggles... I root FOR the Cowboys, and don't have time to waste hating on other teams...

I suggest doing a little research before you post again, as you have absolutely no clue what the **** you're talking about.

I'd suggest that you might want to bring a few more FACTS to the table, rather than an endless succession of juvenile insults... you're gettin' your butt kicked here... :cool:

silverbear

Reaction score
jrockster77 said:
New England took a chance on a QB that EVERY TEAM IN THE NFL thought was bad. Yeah, good drafting, but to use them as an example is just ********. They got lucky.

Where's Dallas' 6th round QB that's going to win them the next 3 out of 4 superbowls????

Where's yours??

silverbear

Reaction score
jrockster77 said:
Hmmm....a mediocre receiver in a TERRIBLE offense schooled the crap out of your defense last year....what does that say about the Cowboys???

It says our DBs did a lousy job against the Niners... but that game was rather atypical for the Boys, given that they finished up 11th in the league in pass defense, second in percentage of completions allowed, 54.7 per cent...

But yeah, they stunk it up against the Niners... to this day, neither Cowboys fans or the coaches can really tell you what happened... I just say it was a "fecal matter happens" kind of game...

silverbear

Reaction score
jrockster77 said:

It says our DBs did a lousy job against the Niners... but that game was rather atypical for the Boys, given that they finished up 11th in the league in pass defense, second in percentage of completions allowed, 54.7 per cent...

But yeah, they stunk it up against the Niners... to this day, neither Cowboys fans or the coaches can really tell you what happened... I just say it was a "fecal matter happens" kind of game...

It's really kind of stupid of you to isolate on one game, and one performance, and demonstrates once again that you're not a particularly knowledgeable football fan... if you were, you'd know that game was a statistical anomaly, both for the Boys, and for Lloyd (he never came CLOSE to those numbers the rest of the season)... indeed, that game was Lloyd's career best yardage total... it would take a special kind of stupid to look at that one game, among 45 total games played, and expect that kind of performance on a weekly basis...

superpunk

Reaction score
jrockster77 said:
Wow....you're truly the dumbest person I've ever met. Congratulations.

In your time here you've shown a distinct inability to follow even the simplest logical concepts.

I see the trend continues.

Just FYI....in the future, just because YOU can't understand what is being said, doesn't mean that there is something wrong with the other person.

The fault lies much closer to home.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Birdlives said:
Wow, trade Skins for cowboys and Brunell for Bledsoe and you could easliy be talking about the cowboys. Funny how that works so well...
:rolleyes:

Only thing is that Brunell is made out of eggshells and Bledsoe is tough as nails.

I feel that we are also deeper at Oline and the DB position than the Skins. Frankly, we are deep in almost all of our position compared to last year.

random Cs

Reaction score
silverbear said:
Yeah, he did suffer a season ending injury in 2004, but before that he was doing pretty well (3 sacks in 6 games)... the question is, was that six game stretch really indicative of how good he is, or was he just an unknown who wasn't drawing much attention from the opposing offenses?? Bottom line, he has 5 sacks in 20 games, which works out to an average of 4 sacks per 16 games played... he also has just 2 passes defensed in that time, and 16 total tackles, indicating that rushing the passer is just about his only real NFL skill...
Probably, our LB's coach said he needed to learn the consistency to be an every down player.

Ahhh, but the discussion here isn't about special teams play, it's about linebacker play... as a linebacker, Campbell makes a good special teamer...
Well, Robert McCune, from Louisville, will probably end up taking the spot. Our special teams in the Norv,Marty,Schotty, Spurrier era's was all equally atrocious and a big indication of what all the player turnover and coaching carousel did to our team.

I couldn't disagree more... I was in awe of how well Brown was able to play at 80 years old (LOL), and I'd bet that if the Skins could talk him out of retirement, he could still outplay Pucillo and Walter... and Raymer, while a stiff, was still somewhat better than either Mike or Tyson as well...
I don't wanna talk trash about Ray, he's a real good guy. Raymer had a pathetic season, he was awful.

While I like Kenny, I don't know if he's an upgrade over Walt... his one advantage is size, I could see him moving to safety in a pinch (which is why I would have liked it if the Boys had pursued him)...
Walt has a terrible last season. Kenny is bigger and more physical; a better fit for our defense.

LOL... if I know YOUR team that well, that I can comment at length on your BACKUPS, you might want to assume that I have at least the same knowledge of my own team...
joke...;)

There's a lot of folks-- including NFL talent evaluators-- who disagree with that opinion...
You guys starting him at LG? Keep him there, he seems outmatched when he plays OT.

If Randy Thomas had gone down in game six rather than game fourteen (like Flozell Adams did), the Skins would have missed the playoffs last year... just look at their offensive output for the last game of the regular season and the two playoff games, and you'll see what I mean:
There was a little more going on there. Though Randy was a huge loss, Brunell was also hurt and all those games you mentioned were on the road, where our offense was inconsistent all year.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
illone said:
Sure, when you're trading for washed up vets you might be right. When you're acquiring young talent with tons of upside then your logic falls short, very short.

who have you signed that has tons of upside?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
jrockster77 said:
It was the dominating defensive performance in the playoffs in Tampa that has us excited.

I remember it as pathetic offensive performance in Tampa

jrockster77 said:
Its also the addition of offensive guru Al Saunders that has us excited, as well as competent receivers opposite of Santana that has us excited.

you mean average receivers don't you? Randle-El isn't even that

jrockster77 said:
The sweep was nice, yes, but whether or not we sweep you has very little impact on the success of our season.

then why do you guys constantly bring last year up?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
jrockster77 said:
Case in point: Gibbs trades up to nab Chris Cooley in the 3rd round, when many experts and scouts say he reached. Bill Parcells told this kid he would never play in the NFL. 2 seasons, 1000 yards, 13 touchdowns and almost 70 first downs later, Gibbs looks like he knows what he is doing. ;)

link?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
jrockster77 said:
Comparing the 2nd quarter of SB22 (19 years ago) to the 5 Cowboy Superbowls (the most recent of which was 10 years ago) is vastly, vastly different. I wish you could see the difference...I really do.

I see the difference, 5 Super Bowls trumps anything you guys did :laugh1: