You care so much about players checks?

ICP

Reaction score
We care about guys like Zeke getting Jerry's brinks truck driven to his house and then underperforming and hamstringing the team financially. Hmmmmm, I guess we should care more about Jerry's stupid decisions

ultron

Reaction score
See Baseball. People lose their minds over what a guy like Bryce Harper makes or what the Yankees paid to sign Garrett Cole.

People have issues with every major sports star making millions at a 1,000 x my salary or insert more noble profession here clip.

Basketball has a salary cap that can afford big contracts and people lose it when people get the big super max contract.

It's just human nature.
I still think people don’t really care about how much the player makes, what they care about is the hard cap in sports like football & basketball and the ‘soft cap’ in baseball (even though there’s technically no salary cap, every team has a budget). I don’t think any Yankees fans are upset about Garrett Cole or how much he makes, but that’s just my opinion.

Techsass

Reaction score
You're kidding yourself if you don't realize it ticks a large portion of people off these players get paid millions to play a game.
Some people were ticked off that Keith Richards (who proclaimed he was heroin addict, but not a junkie in court) was making millions back when the average decent salary was around $10-15k. Most folks really didn't care.

ultron

Reaction score
Lol no. This might be true here and there, but on this board, specifically, it's just people crying about what other people make. It has nothing to do with the cap.
Idk man I have to disagree, sure there is a minority of people (maybe 20%) that care about stuff like that but the overwhelming majority doesn’t care, they just care because of the cap.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NOT ZEKE! :lmao: sorry Steve couldnt help it LOL. I dont think any of them are underpaid but its more about the overall picture and how they fit in team structure capwise. Which positions and players are living up to their value and which bonehead moves jerry and Steven has done.

Wait a minute how about J.P Ladecuer(spelling?) ? I mean he has to bend over multiple times a game that can have long term affects on his well being. Im going with J.P
LOL...I already said as much to corso....

Might have a good point. We surely take him for granted. Good reliable player.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Idk man I have to disagree, sure there is a minority of people (maybe 20%) that care about stuff like that but the overwhelming majority doesn’t care, they just care because of the cap.

This is the truth. Nobody cares what athletes are making. Nobody cares what entertainers are making. Nobody cares about that kind of stuff. What we care about is what we are paying to be entertained and what percentage of the cap is being used because, as you have clearly pointed out, it effects other areas of the team.

Anybody who disputes this will probably try and offer you a genuine, hand crafted, tinfoil, Fedora.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The amount of money pro athletes make is insane, but the human race as a whole is also insane.
It is also normal for most of us to be envious of football players that make 5-40 million a year !
26 mil a year is $500,000 a week! lol
I cant even comprehend making that much a week....every week ! lol can you guys?
I have no issues saying I am envious or jealous of that.
Well sure, but at least you don't have to play a game every week for four months!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I assume you meant we care about fitting in as many good players as we can? Obviously with roster limits the Cowboys can't fit any more players under the salary cap than any other team.
Not more players, but with creative salary cap skills you can have more very good players under the cap.

cern

Reaction score
due to the constraints put on front offices by the salary cap, most teams pay close to the same to their star players based on position and pay the lower tier players what is left. i personally don't care at all what they make except to the extent of how it affects the rest of the team. case in point, texas breaks the bank to pay deshaun watson, but know they can't keep deondre hopkins and trade him away. watson is now stinking up the joint without his star receiver. it's the lesson of the pie.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
due to the constraints put on front offices by the salary cap, most teams pay close to the same to their star players based on position and pay the lower tier players what is left. i personally don't care at all what they make except to the extent of how it affects the rest of the team. case in point, texas breaks the bank to pay deshaun watson, but know they can't keep deondre hopkins and trade him away. watson is now stinking up the joint without his star receiver. it's the lesson of the pie.
:hammer:

Bold is why it is insane for anyone to depend upon a totally misplaced merit system for counter-arguing actual, real-life, decades long, market driven salary compensation for professional players. Personally, I think every professional athlete (and many others in the private sector as well) are overpaid. However, that particular personal peeve does not prevent me from understanding why players are paid the way they are.

Dre11

Reaction score
We care about the salary cap and fitting as many players under it as we can. Any questions?

lol...and that means what? KC has a bad cap situation, Rams have bad cap, no picks and they're fine

DandyDon52

Reaction score
exactly nobody cared in the 90's during the Superbowl runs
NOT MAny fans were on the internet back then and there was no media sites, and no social media .
I didnt get online till 98.
Now days we have it thrown in our face on a regular basis, on the internet, and from the guys doing games, and of course the fox pregame show etc.
Just look at how much the dak contract thing was talked about , so much I got sick of it.
Part of it is the nfl, I dont know why the info is even released to the public, we dont need to know, and we shouldnt know, but they blab about it to us all.

Same thing for personal issues with players, we dont need to know, but they tell us , and then keep telling us lol till we are sick of it.

cern

Reaction score
NOT MAny fans were on the internet back then and there was no media sites, and no social media .
Now days we have it thrown in our face on a regular basis, on the internet, and from the guys doing games, and of course the fox pregame show etc.
Just look at how much the dak contract thing was talked about , so much I got sick of it.
Part of it is the nfl, I dont know why the info is even released to the public, we dont need to know, and we shouldnt know, but they blab about it to us all.

Same thing for personal issues with players, we dont need to know, but they tell us , and then keep telling us lol till we are sick of it.
it wasn't made available until the 70's due to tireless work by agents and the players union. staubach did not have an agent. he made his own deals with tex schramm. when the info became available and he saw how little he was paid in relation to other qb's, he immediately went out and hired an agent. when asked about his prior comments that tex was a fair man, staubach replied something to the effect, "perhaps i've been a bit naive".

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I imagine knowing how the salary cap is being used helps bettors

diamonddelts

Reaction score
The NFL Draft, salary cap, and franchise tags are all illegal to me. It should be free market. Trying to restrict where someone works, forcing someone to work for you, and having a restriction for how much someone can request for their service is all bullfeces. But since the NFL players have no balls and won't stand together, the nflpa is the weakest of all unions in professional sports.

Jerry Jones was one of the biggest mouth pieces for the salary cap. Which is ironic, since the salary cap pretty much killed his team's success for almost three decades. He cannot spend his way out of bad decision-making, bad free agency acquisitions, and years of bad drafts under the worst general manager in the league.