You don't build a team through free agency!

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
This is what we've been accustomed to hearing, and we end up seeing the results of these comments we're being fed every off season. You can't build a team through FA, but you CAN acquire talent if you get the right guys that can elevate a team such as this team.

We have to get over the past, and focus on the present. Look around the league and see what happens when you make sound moves! Of course not every move will get you to the Superbowl, but at least try!! Please give your thoughts
Interesting post and whether the best (or even achievable) method of going ALL-IN is trading for players that sends you over the top or when you're plugging that one/two glaring weaknesses.
Correct. Which is why taking Schooner in the 2nd was such a monumental mistake. We took a luxury pick in the 2nd w/ glaring holes at LB and DT. That is the problem w/ having a non-football guy as a GM. He wasn't able to assess our areas of need.
To be fair, the possible thinking behind the 'pick' was that a blocking TE would/could improve the running game, regardless of the running game (in the eventuality Pollard went down again), he also met the idea we were going to a TCO (and presumably 12 man personnel).

My point is can you go ALL-IN when you're fire fighting with glaring holes.

If we look at the last successful AI team (Rams, 2021) isnt it that they were a good all-round team, with no real weaknesses, when then went AI with trades for.Von Miller and OBJ?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
This is what we've been accustomed to hearing, and we end up seeing the results of these comments we're being fed every off season. You can't build a team through FA, but you CAN acquire talent if you get the right guys that can elevate a team such as this team.

We have to get over the past, and focus on the present. Look around the league and see what happens when you make sound moves! Of course not every move will get you to the Superbowl, but at least try!! Please give your thoughts
My point is can you go ALL-IN when you're fire fighting glaring holes.

If we look at the last successful AI team (Rams, 2021) isnt it that they were a good all round team, with no real weaknesses when then went AI with trades for.Von Miller and OBJ?
Now we've mentioned the Rams in 2021 as being, possibly, the last successful ALL-IN side, arent there a lot of similarities between them and the situation we're facing. They've gone 4 consecutive winning seasons, and had some play-off success, but have always come up short. The quest is, whether the ALL-IN started with Von Miller and OBJ, or when they accepted that Goff only got them to a certain level and that they needed a different QB.

cowboyed

Reaction score
So far I have seen threads that you can't build teams via free agency or the draft. So how do you build teams, consult with the Lego Company?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Now we've mentioned the Rams in 2021 as being, possibly, the last successful ALL-IN side, arent there a lot of similarities between them and the situation we're facing. They've gone 4 consecutive winning seasons, and had some play-off success, but have always come up short. The quest is, whether the ALL-IN started with Von Miller and OBJ, or when they accepted that Goff only got them to a certain level and that they needed a different QB.
the rams also made a lot of trades. they didn't build through FA. getting stafford was key. then they added a couple of players in trades and picks up along the way to just round out the team. lets not forget, this was a rams team that went to superbowl, toe to toe with New England only to lose in late 4th quarter in a close game against the Goat. so the cup board wasn't empty

deerhunter11

Reaction score
They definitely need both but fixing the DT would really make the linebackers. We could get along just fun with a solid linebacker like a Jewell or a Kendrick’s or a hicks if we had a big pro bowl caliber d tackle up front generating pressure up the middle and plugging the run.

If we need to pick one position to dump real money into it’s the d tackle position imo.
Where in the draft would you take T'vondre Sweat 1 technique Texas , the point is Dallas needs a beast in the middle of the D line. Also Dallas needs a hammer at MLB , a hammer who can cover the pass.If these 2 positions are improved next season , the defense could be fun to watch.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Where in the draft would you take T'vondre Sweat 1 technique Texas , the point is Dallas needs a beast in the middle of the D line. Also Dallas needs a hammer at MLB , a hammer who can cover the pass.If these 2 positions are improved next season , the defense could be fun to watch.
I’m not exactly sure. My first target in the draft is the center position and that’s Jackson powers Johnson but I don’t think he makes it to 24. If it were me and it’s not and they won’t likely do this I’d be making a huge play for a difference maker DT.

Let’s say the top 3 are off the board ; jones, Madubuike and Wilkins then I’d go after the grover stewart /dj reader/leonard Williams tier. I think one of those 3 is gettable I think getting one of them makes it capable to sign a cheaper line back in the jewel,Kendrick’s, hicks price range.

Sweat looks like a beast I’d have no issues if he’s the pick however

1942willys

Reaction score
I’m not exactly sure. My first target in the draft is the center position and that’s Jackson powers Johnson but I don’t think he makes it to 24. If it were me and it’s not and they won’t likely do this I’d be making a huge play for a difference maker DT.

Let’s say the top 3 are off the board ; jones, Madubuike and Wilkins then I’d go after the grover stewart /dj reader/leonard Williams tier. I think one of those 3 is gettable I think getting one of them makes it capable to sign a cheaper line back in the jewel,Kendrick’s, hicks price range.

we need a mean player with a belly. All our Lombardi winning teams had at least one.

kskboys

Reaction score
Interesting post and whether the best (or even achievable) method of going ALL-IN is trading for players that sends you over the top or when you're plugging that one/two glaring weaknesses.

To be fair, the possible thinking behind the 'pick' was that a blocking TE would/could improve the running game, regardless of the running game (in the eventuality Pollard went down again), he also met the idea we were going to a TCO (and presumably 12 man personnel).

My point is can you go ALL-IN when you're fire fighting with glaring holes.

If we look at the last successful AI team (Rams, 2021) isnt it that they were a good all-round team, with no real weaknesses, when then went AI with trades for.Von Miller and OBJ?
Man, that is some really stupid possible thinking. You don't make picks like that when you have no LB's, a rotational 3 tech starting, and an aging OLine. That is even more fair!!!!!

deerhunter11

Reaction score

Solid post ,the major pieces are there , to getting better.The right players will bring positive change.Dallas needs some studs manning the trenches , and some as they say DAWG , MENTALITY.

Skillit

Reaction score
Why / how is this complicated?

You add the best players you can according to value: talent, cost, fit, need……all of it.

FA’s are somewhat a know commodity vs draft pics. Either way- it’s a calculated risk.

If you manage both systems well- you can compete every year.

There’s no 1 final answer.

kskboys

Reaction score
Why / how is this complicated?

You add the best players you can according to value: talent, cost, fit, need……all of it.

FA’s are somewhat a know commodity vs draft pics. Either way- it’s a calculated risk.

If you manage both systems well- you can compete every year.

There’s no 1 final answer.
Correct. However, we overpay our own as well as making bad decisions on who to keep, so that leaves us nothing for FA.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Correct. However, we overpay our own as well as making bad decisions on who to keep, so that leaves us nothing for FA.
Well we love signing our own players coming off an injury. So if LVE does not retire, don't be surprised when he is back.

eromeopolk

Reaction score

You build a team through the draft, trades, and free agency. Any football GM knows that except for Jerry Dumbo GM Jones.

Jay Novacek, James Washington, Tommie Agee, Alfredo Roberts, Vinson Smith, and Frank Cornish were FA signings. Haley, Everett, Casillas, Gesek, and Steve Beuerlein were trades to build the brief 90's Dynasty that Jerry Destroyed in 2 years.

kskboys

Reaction score
You build a team through the draft, trades, and free agency. Any football GM knows that except for Jerry Dumbo GM Jones.

Jay Novacek, James Washington, Tommie Agee, Alfredo Roberts, Vinson Smith, and Frank Cornish were FA signings. Haley, Everett, Casillas, Gesek, and Steve Beuerlein were trades to build the brief 90's Dynasty that Jerry Destroyed in 2 years.
Yup, he did. Let a pile of players walk that he had no idea whatsoever played a huge role in the super bowl wins. Does Jerry even know that Jimmy Jones scored the TD that gave Dallas the lead 14-7 in super bowl 27?