You don't build a team through free agency!

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Man, that is some really stupid possible thinking. You don't make picks like that when you have no LB's, a rotational 3 tech starting, and an aging OLine. That is even more fair!!!!!
Man, I'm not saying it's right and in the FO's opinion, they must have been happy with Osa stepping up.
Man, you didn't see how our 2 most recent play-off defeats (up to that point), we're due to our inability to stop the run (hence Mazi) and the run game being ineffectual. A blocking TE would help run game SCHEMING, rather than individuals.
Man, you're Mr Hindsight.... that draft was for need, it failed but at least they had some kind of plan.
On the LB situation didn't we have LVE, Clarke, Cox (and later Overshone). We're a team playing Nickle, underwhelming, but it's not a position of great importance for Quinn.
Hindsight's a fine thing ..... just look at it as Jones going ALL-IN on the draft, you don't need to agree with it (I dont), but Man you can see what they were possibly thinking.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
the rams also made a lot of trades. they didn't build through FA. getting stafford was key. then they added a couple of players in trades and picks up along the way to just round out the team. lets not forget, this was a rams team that went to superbowl, toe to toe with New England only to lose in late 4th quarter in a close game against the Goat. so the cup board wasn't empty
The Rams were able to make (or the GM was able) to dispassionately make the appraisal on what was needed to reach the next level.
Wasn't the starting point between 2020 season to 2021 the assessment that Goff wasn't going to do it and trading for Stafford?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The Rams were able to make (or the GM was able) to dispassionately make the appraisal on what was needed to reach the next level.
Wasn't the starting point between 2020 season to 2021 the assessment that Goff wasn't going to do it and trading for Stafford?
yes. they upgraded the QB position, but my point was they had a good team that went to superbowl with Goff (if he wasn't good enough) and toe to toe with Patriots. when that failed to bring in a trophy, they made the trade and paid handsomely for it. also made a few small moves, trades, and pick ups during the season and won the superbowl. but it wasn't building a team through FA

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
yes. they upgraded the QB position, but my point was they had a good team that went to superbowl with Goff (if he wasn't good enough) and toe to toe with Patriots. when that failed to bring in a trophy, they made the trade and paid handsomely for it. also made a few small moves, trades, and pick ups during the season and won the superbowl. but it wasn't building a team through FA
That's not the point of the OP was making. We wouldn't need to build through FA either. As for the Rams situation in 2020, it seems the closest comparison to where we are now.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
That's not the point of the OP was making. We wouldn't need to build through FA either. As for the Rams situation in 2020, it seems the closest comparison to where we are now.
not sure if we are similar to the rams. my point was they went to the superbowl and came close. we haven't come close to anything. would any of these moves put us over the top? or just one or two levels up.

also, it sort of has to be the perfect storm. Detroit needed to rebuild. needed draft picks. they had one of the top 5 QBs in the league. Rams needed to upgrade QB position to get over the top. they gave up a bunch to get him. almost everything else was in place for them. I don't think we have everything in place. RB is meh, OL needs revamped. DL sucks. LBs are awful. we have way more holes to fill and giving up draft picks to upgrade QB position will only turn us into detroit.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
not sure if we are similar to the rams. my point was they went to the superbowl and came close. we haven't come close to anything. would any of these moves put us over the top? or just one or two levels up.

also, it sort of has to be the perfect storm. Detroit needed to rebuild. needed draft picks. they had one of the top 5 QBs in the league. Rams needed to upgrade QB position to get over the top. they gave up a bunch to get him. almost everything else was in place for them. I don't think we have everything in place. RB is meh, OL needs revamped. DL sucks. LBs are awful. we have way more holes to fill and giving up draft picks to upgrade QB position will only turn us into detroit.
So we come full circle. If we're so far off, team wise, what's the point in upping money to Dak?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
So we come full circle. If we're so far off, team wise, what's the point in upping money to Dak?
I never advocated for that. I have said repeatedly, there are multiple options and subsequent consequences. we as fans need to be realistic about the outcomes, but the issue is Jerry doesn't think the same way, given his focus is not on winning championships (winning season is more important to him and more profitable). so he will make business decisions as opposed to football decisions.

- if we sign Dak, then this team needs a lot of help and I don't trust the team and the culture. they haven't shown me anything.
- If we go with Lance, then we probably not see much success end up with a top 10 pick perhaps. I just don't think Lance is any good. not a bad outcome. a chance to grab a QB, as someone posted that most successful QBs are first rounders and looking through the list the good ones were mostly top 10 picks.
- we can draft one, but then what do you get at 24 and do we have support to help him. we have 3 picks in first three rounds and then 2 in 7th. and ton of holes to fill

of the above, the first option is most profitable, so Jerry will go with that.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Yup, he did. Let a pile of players walk that he had no idea whatsoever played a huge role in the super bowl wins. Does Jerry even know that Jimmy Jones scored the TD that gave Dallas the lead 14-7 in super bowl 27?
Jerry let go Jimmy Smith and he is the Jaguars all time leading WR. Instead he wasted 2 no.1 picks on Galloway, who never made a Pro Bowl, and past on Randy Moss. Jerry Dumbo GM Jones.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Jerry let go Jimmy Smith and he is the Jaguars all time leading WR. Instead he wasted 2 no.1 picks on Galloway, who never made a Pro Bowl, and past on Randy Moss. Jerry Dumbo GM Jones.
that's his talent evaluation failure.

with that said, Jimmy Smith was injured both years with cowboys and Jimmy ran out of patience. we did win some superbowls without Jimmy. didn't we?

the Galloway signing was stupid. he wanted to appease Aikman who wanted him. same reason he drafted LaFleur. that's allowing the inmates to run the assylum. and Jerry's reasoning for Galloway was to pair him with Ismail and he thought in his fantasy yahoo approach to building a football team

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Los-Angeles-Rams-Sean-McVay-exorcises-past-demons-to-win-Super-Bowl-56-scaled.jpg
To be fair, they did it a lot more through trading everything they had. LOL

Which leads me back to the all in comment from the Jones boys… we’re waiting dudes.

Jerry, don’t listen to that son of yours, he’s just rubbing his hands together, waiting to inherit your fortune. Go talk to your board of advisors and Jimmy Johnson, and start trading those pics away before you die. Before all of us die goddamnit! We just want to see another Super Bowl!

eromeopolk

Reaction score
that's his talent evaluation failure.

with that said, Jimmy Smith was injured both years with cowboys and Jimmy ran out of patience. we did win some superbowls without Jimmy. didn't we?

the Galloway signing was stupid. he wanted to appease Aikman who wanted him. same reason he drafted LaFleur. that's allowing the inmates to run the assylum. and Jerry's reasoning for Galloway was to pair him with Ismail and he thought in his fantasy yahoo approach to building a football team
Revisionist Jerry Dumbo GM Jones history. Jimmy Smith was a top special teams player coming off injury his rookie year only missing 4 games. He led the team in receptions the next year in preseason but complained of abdominal pains. Later diagnosed with appendicitis after botch job by training staff and doctors for the Cowboys (see Arlington Jonesboys poor ranking in work conditions today). Jerry then tried to not pay him for the 1993 season (he has 2 SUPER BOWL RINGS!). Then Jimmy was fired, who really liked Jimmy Smith because of his HBCU background and father being an ex NFL Player.

Jerry Dumbo GM Jones was the problem as he healed and the Jags leading WR and Ring of Honor member. He started playing in Jimmy Jones world as GM messing up everything destroying a Dynasty in 2 years that would have reign for as long as the Patriots Dynasty.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Revisionist Jerry Dumbo GM Jones history. Jimmy Smith was a top special teams player coming off injury his rookie year only missing 4 games. He led the team in receptions the next year in preseason but complained of abdominal pains. Later diagnosed with appendicitis after botch job by training staff and doctors for the Cowboys (see Arlington Jonesboys poor ranking in work conditions today). Jerry then tried to not pay him for the 1993 season (he has 2 SUPER BOWL RINGS!). Then Jimmy was fired, who really liked Jimmy Smith because of his HBCU background and father being an ex NFL Player.

Jerry Dumbo GM Jones was the problem as he healed and the Jags leading WR and Ring of Honor member. He started playing in Jimmy Jones world as GM messing up everything destroying a Dynasty in 2 years that would have reign for as long as the Patriots Dynasty.
Jimmy smith was let go because of injuries and then he flourished. water under the bridge. and he didn't win a championship anywhere else.

kskboys

Reaction score
Man, I'm not saying it's right and in the FO's opinion, they must have been happy with Osa stepping up.
Man, you didn't see how our 2 most recent play-off defeats (up to that point), we're due to our inability to stop the run (hence Mazi) and the run game being ineffectual. A blocking TE would help run game SCHEMING, rather than individuals.
Man, you're Mr Hindsight.... that draft was for need, it failed but at least they had some kind of plan.
On the LB situation didn't we have LVE, Clarke, Cox (and later Overshone). We're a team playing Nickle, underwhelming, but it's not a position of great importance for Quinn.
Hindsight's a fine thing ..... just look at it as Jones going ALL-IN on the draft, you don't need to agree with it (I dont), but Man you can see what they were possibly thinking.
Terrible evaluation. I don't make any statements from hindsight. You're such a weak poster that you have to claim things that aren't true. There, insult back at ya, happy now?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
You build a team using all 3 facets. FA, Trade, draft. This team hasnt spent money on a FA since Bradon Carr.

That was in 2012 I think.
yes, but at that time, they had JG as HC lol and marinelli as DC lol.
I remember people here saying Carr was not used like he should have been.
So getting a good player is good, if you are going to use him in a manner that lets him excel.

But just think for a moment, JG and Marinelli together means crappy coaching and game mgmt, so no exceling!
You have to have good coaches.
Look at phil, they lost their OC and DC and then they just fell apart. Had they kept those 2 somehow, possibly in the SB again.

Also if your going to have to play KC in SB, your going to have to be very good team and have great coaches to beat them.

Coaches are key, and jerry and his boy think any ol coach can do it with some good players lol.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Also, I agree with jerry as right now is not the time to spend big on FA, as this cowboy team is not good enough, and the HC and some of his
coaches, are just not good enough either.
If he had hired BB then it would be the time to spend big on a couple of guys like chris jones .

With our coaches a big FA or 2 is not going to help enough to get to a SB. Much less beat KC in a SB.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
You do not build a team with FA

You COMPLETE a team with FA
exactly, but they have to have better coaches too.
Atlanta got to the SB but lost it due to the team thought they had it won, and let brady come back and win it.
That was on the coaches for atlanta.

Chasing6

Reaction score
yes, but at that time, they had JG as HC lol and marinelli as DC lol.
I remember people here saying Carr was not used like he should have been.
So getting a good player is good, if you are going to use him in a manner that lets him excel.

But just think for a moment, JG and Marinelli together means crappy coaching and game mgmt, so no exceling!
You have to have good coaches.
Look at phil, they lost their OC and DC and then they just fell apart. Had they kept those 2 somehow, possibly in the SB again.

Also if your going to have to play KC in SB, your going to have to be very good team and have great coaches to beat them.

Coaches are key, and jerry and his boy think any ol coach can do it with some good players lol.
Who decides who plays in Dallas? The coaches or GM Jeruh.

plasticman

Reaction score
Looks can be very deceiving. In most cases, these big name free agents are signing on to a team that is already built. This is why they signed in the first place.

Their careers are at the point where they are not interested in helping a team build. They want a championship now and the best way is to sign on to a team that appears to be heading in that direction.

What these free agents are offering a team is extra insurance and a little extra distance from their competition in terms of overall talent. They get a discount because they are a top contender, this is how teams are able to afford them.

Many veterans don't believe in the Cowboys ability to compete for a championship which is why it is difficult to sign them for a reasonable price. We may have noticed some players that had the Cowboys on their list but ultimately chose a different team.