You don't move on from Dak unless you have The Franchise already on the roster

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Green Bay had Favre and did not move on from four until they were sure on Aaron Rodgers.

Many years later, Green Bay did not move on from Aaron Rodgers until they were sure Jordan Love was the guy.

The Colts did not move on from Peyton Manning until they had Andrew Luck.

Successful organizations don’t move on from guys until they have the guy.

If you don’t have a plan, it could be several 5-11 seasons (like Washington since cousins left).

So unless he drafts a qb, he would gambling the franchises stability and worth. Or he would have to believe in Trey Lance.

In 2016, I saw Dallas play Cleveland in Cleveland. Cleveland was winless (0-8?) and the fans that did show up (very little), all left by the end of the first quarter. Concession stands, etc. had no lines.

I don’t think he moves on until he has the guy in house. He moved on from Romo because he had Dak. He has shown that awareness in the past. And Dak and Dallas have made the playoffs consistently, he needs to step up in the playoffs.

It’s Jerry’s money, he has to pay Dak until he has someone better. He knows it, Dak knows it.

Go Cowboys!
Cooper Rush could produce the same results you get with Dak if Lance flops.

Dak is not capable of "stepping it up" against any top ten defense. There's no point keeping him on your roster. If Lance fails you have a higher draft position in 2025 , trade Parsons and move to the top for a QB. A young QB comes into a strong team and you're back in contention 2027.
But moving on from Dak is a must.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The cowboys have been lucky to have gotten Romo and Dak without using a top 5 1st round pick. You can't count on that every time. At some point to get a franchise QB you will need to have a top 5 pick and there's only 2 ways to get one.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Green Bay had Favre and did not move on from four until they were sure on Aaron Rodgers.

Many years later, Green Bay did not move on from Aaron Rodgers until they were sure Jordan Love was the guy.
The Packers were never totally sure about Rodgers but they felt good about him. Rodgers had never started a game and only attempted 59 passes when GB moved on from Favre so the jury was still out on Rodgers. Jordan Love only had one start and 82 career passing attempts when GB moved on from Rodgers. Even though Love played well last season the jury is still out on him. The Packers were obviously better prepared for life after Favre and Rodgers than the Cowboys are if they move on from Dak. Lance hasn’t shown any potential which is why we ended up with him.

Kwyn

Reaction score

If you don’t have a plan, it could be several 5-11 seasons (like Washington since cousins left).

So unless he drafts a qb, he would gambling the franchises stability and worth. Or he would have to believe in Trey Lance.

In 2016, I saw Dallas play Cleveland in Cleveland. Cleveland was winless (0-8?) and the fans that did show up (very little), all left by the end of the first quarter. Concession stands, etc. had no lines.

I don’t think he moves on until he has the guy in house. He moved on from Romo because he had Dak. He has shown that awareness in the past. And Dak and Dallas have made the playoffs consistently, he needs to step up in the playoffs.

It’s Jerry’s money, he has to pay Dak until he has someone better. He knows it, Dak knows it.

Go Cowboys!
But, what about the fans who want the franchise to tank and bottom out for a few years? Their voice matters.

fivetwos

Reaction score
We didn’t have the franchise on the roster when Aikman retired. We haven’t even seriously looked for The Franchise since he left to this day.

The stumbles upon Romo and used a 4th rounder on Dak after Tony missed most of 2015 and there were doubts he would ever be the same. Even then they didn’t expect Dak to end up being the starter in 2016.

Bottom line is Jerry and co. will never look until the starter is gone or and then they don’t really look. One QB drafted in the first 3 rounds in 30 years and none in the first since 1989.
I get what you’re saying and I don’t disagree, but going into the Dak draft they seemed to want to find Romos replacement, and early.

What bothers me is the overall approach. Jerry tried to trade up for Paxton Lynch. We all know how he turned out but no one knew that at the time.

Whichever team it was wanted a 3rd to move up about ten or so spots into the late first. Stephen chimes in with “that’s too expensive.” It’s on film.

Too expensive for what? Your next franchise QB? If you identify him as that a third round pick should mean nothing at all.

If you didn’t like him, then fine, but then those two are on very different pages. That’s yet another problem but for another time.

Either way they desperately need help in selecting and developing the next QB. McCarthy isn’t that guy.

mardwin

Reaction score

Go Cowboys!
You are asking a franchise that hasn't invested a 1st round pick in a QB since the 80s to do the logical thing. In Jerry and Stephens' mind(s) Trey is the guy that gets to be QB once they decide to move on from Dak.

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
they’re not moving on. they’ve scouted no qb whatsoever. if they do then they’re banking on lance being the answer. which reminds me of their brilliant plan with drew henson.

perrykemp

Reaction score
My in-laws from Wisc stated before playoffs it was time to total rebuild the psckers. They claimed it was the sentiment of majority of fans....
....well, that changed i presume
Absolutely, I know a bunch of Packers fans, hardcore fans, who had absolutely resigned themselves for 1-2 years of rebuilding with the idea that during that time they would figure out if Love could be long term QB of the future -- and they also understand it might take more than 1 year to figure that part out.

What changed is they hit it out of the park with the draft, especially the later rounds, and Love along with 3-4 WRs and 2 TEs all took their lumps in the 1st half of the season and started figuring it out and eventually starting playing great.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are asking a franchise that hasn't invested a 1st round pick in a QB since the 80s to do the logical thing. In Jerry and Stephens' mind(s) Trey is the guy that gets to be QB once they decide to move on from Dak.
^ This

they’re not moving on. they’ve scouted no qb whatsoever. if they do then they’re banking on lance being the answer. which reminds me of their brilliant plan with drew henson.
^ and this.

Anything is possible but Jerry Jones has given zero reason to ignore for his track record in acquiring players, especially quarterbacks, in draft/free agency speculation discussion. That is actual Dallas Cowboys quarterbacks and not the ones who never wore The Star like Johnny Manziel and Paxton Lynch. Jones' systematic, 3 1/2 decades long approach (which he had a great deal of assistance with EARLY on) has been notable enough without also tossing in who-could-have-beens.

it may not be a fair application to put upon other football front office executives with far shorter tenures but Jones does have a track record. And it is a long one, like connecting the Churchill Downs and Indianapolis 500 tracks together long.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Good idea. And use the money by not paying Dak to shore up what you suggested. Once we get them shored up, we will be in better position to pay a franchise QB.
we had 15M on the cap last year, we had 20M the year before. its not a cap issue. its a GM issue. we could have signed anyone we wanted, yet CHOSE not to.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Go Cowboys!
Extend Dak with out a no trade clause.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Absolutely, I know a bunch of Packers fans, hardcore fans, who had absolutely resigned themselves for 1-2 years of rebuilding with the idea that during that time they would figure out if Love could be long term QB of the future -- and they also understand it might take more than 1 year to figure that part out.

What changed is they hit it out of the park with the draft, especially the later rounds, and Love along with 3-4 WRs and 2 TEs all took their lumps in the 1st half of the season and started figuring it out and eventually starting playing great.
It took a half season for the Packers to start figuring things out and and playing great. Meanwhile, we're 8 years into the Dak project and we're still waiting for him to figure things out.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Lol...I was also wrong about Drew.