You don't move on from Dak unless you have The Franchise already on the roster

morat1959

Reaction score
Look I dislike Dak and think the correct move is to move on.

But Rush was carried by the D and only had to make a handful of plays. That why they couldn’t compete with Philly.

Dalton? He was something like 4-5 or 4-6. He did not exactly tear it up.

Like I said, you just cannot extend Dak for that contract. But the disrespect he gets and how easily QBs are replaced is ridiculou!
You’ll never know if you don’t bring in competition. The Jones were always worried about hurting his fragile feelings.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Pretty well the opinion is that Jerry made a royal mess of Dak's contract.

Clean up the mess by letting Dak go after this year. And who knows? Maybe a once in a millon bolt of lightning will strike and the Cowboys win the SB this year.

At that point a lot would happen - Jerry would have the not-with-Jimmys-influence trophy, Dak could be relieved of his Cowboys quarterback job, Cowboys could stop being the one of only 2 teams to not make the NFC conference championship game this century, Cowboys would gain some new fans to replace old farts like me when we kick the bucket and Jerry would sell a ton of merchandise.

But regardless, since it is such a mess, like any mess, quit trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear and end the debacle...

McKDaddy

Reaction score
But you guys keep going from scapegoat to scapegoat. How many scapegoat’s are you guys gonna allow Jerry and co. To have?
I think Jerry & Co. have been called out as hard & certainly for longer than the players. We can't change ownership.

The players signed up to be public figures with their work scrutinized in high def by everyone. Like everything else in life, they are sometimes over scrutinized. But the bell curve is fair. The bell curve says some players just aren't positive difference makers. They control what they do on the field. That's not on Jerry.

kskboys

Reaction score
Unless you have to pay him so much that you're not going to win anyway.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
about the OP, Ideally you should have another qb you think can be as good or better on the roster.
But with the mess jones boys have created, the thing to do is to move on without a guy on the roster.

It is all a matter of opinion though.

Also it depends on what jones boys have planned for 2025.
Will there be a new HC?? New qb? who knows.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Green Bay had Favre and did not move on from four until they were sure on Aaron Rodgers.

Many years later, Green Bay did not move on from Aaron Rodgers until they were sure Jordan Love was the guy.

The Colts did not move on from Peyton Manning until they had Andrew Luck.

Successful organizations don’t move on from guys until they have the guy.

If you don’t have a plan, it could be several 5-11 seasons (like Washington since cousins left).

So unless he drafts a qb, he would gambling the franchises stability and worth. Or he would have to believe in Trey Lance.

In 2016, I saw Dallas play Cleveland in Cleveland. Cleveland was winless (0-8?) and the fans that did show up (very little), all left by the end of the first quarter. Concession stands, etc. had no lines.

I don’t think he moves on until he has the guy in house. He moved on from Romo because he had Dak. He has shown that awareness in the past. And Dak and Dallas have made the playoffs consistently, he needs to step up in the playoffs.

It’s Jerry’s money, he has to pay Dak until he has someone better. He knows it, Dak knows it.

Go Cowboys!
If a Rodgers falls to where we can draft him like GB lucked into then great but at the same time is not re-creatable by any franchise. That makes it awful policy.

The Colts let Manning go then tanked the next year. You have your order of operation mixed up. That did not even work out so I am not sure why you are using it as an ideal.

Then of course you have counterexamples in the Rams who merced their way into Stafford plus a 'ship or SF who bailed on their "franchise" asset and went with a 4th rounder to great success.

There is more than one way to skin a cat. Generally speaking when someone is trying to sell you something as the only option it is a con job.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
The OP sounds like he's scared of the unknown. He's content to stick with mediocre garbage because the replacement could be worse. The replacement could be a hall of famer, but you will never find out if you don't try.
He's not the only one, the crowd of "who are you going to replace him with" drives me nuts, like is their nobody else who can throw a ball

75boyz

Reaction score
He's not the only one, the crowd of "who are you going to replace him with" drives me nuts, like is their nobody else who can throw a ball
Yeah,
same here. Like you must have a hundred percent plan of something better or we'll stick with our comfort zone ceiling of one and done playoff pretender.
The risk is worth the reward.
Those saying otherwise are literal mouthpieces for Jerry's relevance philosophy.

If we blow a draft pick, so be it. Draft another one.
And keep drafting until you hit.
This QB purgatory is insanity personified in doing something over and over the same way while expecting different results.

Every single fan should know by now how the season ends if Dak stays at QB.

And that's not good enough.
Time to move on.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Look I dislike Dak and think the correct move is to move on.

But Rush was carried by the D and only had to make a handful of plays. That why they couldn’t compete with Philly.

Dalton? He was something like 4-5 or 4-6. He did not exactly tear it up.

Like I said, you just cannot extend Dak for that contract. But the disrespect he gets and how easily QBs are replaced is ridiculou!
Only a couple extremists think Cooper should play and that's not because they think he's better than Dak.

If you think "it's time to move on"....then you just fraking do it. It CAN be (but not necessarily) like a homer remodel...it gets worse before it gets better.

This sitting on the fence out of fear...just truly insanity.

(not you Carson...just in general)

And Dak has earned some of the criticism. He has a large swing pendulum, that has a pattern. Sometimes inexplicable.

kskboys

Reaction score
Pretty well the opinion is that Jerry made a royal mess of Dak's contract.

Clean up the mess by letting Dak go after this year. And who knows? Maybe a once in a millon bolt of lightning will strike and the Cowboys win the SB this year.

At that point a lot would happen - Jerry would have the not-with-Jimmys-influence trophy, Dak could be relieved of his Cowboys quarterback job, Cowboys could stop being the one of only 2 teams to not make the NFC conference championship game this century, Cowboys would gain some new fans to replace old farts like me when we kick the bucket and Jerry would sell a ton of merchandise.

But regardless, since it is such a mess, like any mess, quit trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear and end the debacle...
Sorry, not possible. Certain conditions must be met to be a super bowl contender. Cowboys have no way to meet those conditions. We are at the very minimum around 7-8 players away from that.

kskboys

Reaction score
Only a couple extremists think Cooper should play and that's not because they think he's better than Dak.

If you think "it's time to move on"....then you just fraking do it. It CAN be (but not necessarily) like a homer remodel...it gets worse before it gets better.

This sitting on the fence out of fear...just truly insanity.

(not you Carson...just in general)

And Dak has earned some of the criticism. He has a large swing pendulum, that has a pattern. Sometimes inexplicable.
Very well said.

The bolded is a hallmark of how one becomes a super bowl contender.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yeah,
same here. Like you must have a hundred percent plan of something better or we'll stick with our comfort zone ceiling of one and done playoff pretender.
The risk is worth the reward.
Those saying otherwise are literal mouthpieces for Jerry's relevance philosophy.

If we blow a draft pick, so be it. Draft another one.
And keep drafting until you hit.
This QB purgatory is insanity personified in doing something over and over the same way while expecting different results.

Every single fan should know by now how the season ends if Dak stays at QB.

And that's not good enough.
Time to move on.
It comes from people who have little understanding of the world of NFL football. They are basically Rah Rah fans. Which is fine.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Green Bay had Favre and did not move on from four until they were sure on Aaron Rodgers.

Many years later, Green Bay did not move on from Aaron Rodgers until they were sure Jordan Love was the guy.

The Colts did not move on from Peyton Manning until they had Andrew Luck.

Successful organizations don’t move on from guys until they have the guy.

If you don’t have a plan, it could be several 5-11 seasons (like Washington since cousins left).

So unless he drafts a qb, he would gambling the franchises stability and worth. Or he would have to believe in Trey Lance.

In 2016, I saw Dallas play Cleveland in Cleveland. Cleveland was winless (0-8?) and the fans that did show up (very little), all left by the end of the first quarter. Concession stands, etc. had no lines.

I don’t think he moves on until he has the guy in house. He moved on from Romo because he had Dak. He has shown that awareness in the past. And Dak and Dallas have made the playoffs consistently, he needs to step up in the playoffs.

It’s Jerry’s money, he has to pay Dak until he has someone better. He knows it, Dak knows it.

Go Cowboys!
You are right. Teams dont move on from franchise QBs before they find another one.

Problem is we dont have one. But we dont invest anything to find one.

kskboys

Reaction score
about the OP, Ideally you should have another qb you think can be as good or better on the roster.
But with the mess jones boys have created, the thing to do is to move on without a guy on the roster.

It is all a matter of opinion though.

Also it depends on what jones boys have planned for 2025.
Will there be a new HC?? New qb? who knows.
It's a pipe dream. And you have to get lucky to have two top 15ish NFL QB's on any given roster. It's not a plan, it's pure luck.

kskboys

Reaction score
You are right. Teams dont move on from franchise QBs before they find another one.

Problem is we dont have one. But we dont invest anything to find one.
Yes they do. Lions w/ Goff, Pitt w/ Rothy, Gnats w/ Eli.

It happens all the time, only the very few are blessed w/ having another ready to take the helm.

What you guys are proposing is pure luck.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
His theory is literally what the Cowboys did lol. Moved on from Romo when they found a superior quarterback.
Dak better than Romo ?

Seriously i am no Romo fanboy, i dont even think he was a good QB. But to call Dak a better QB than him? Come on man. Romo at least was able to read defenses pre snap.

We changed QBs because we had a run woth Dak and Romos body was calling end-of-life. It was a no brainer to not risk it and go back to Romo.

kskboys

Reaction score
Dak better than Romo ?

Seriously i am no Romo fanboy, i dont even think he was a good QB. But to call Dak a better QB than him? Come on man. Romo at least was able to read defenses pre snap.
There's very little difference between the two. Both have strengths, but also have weaknesses that always rear their ugly heads, especially come playoff time.