You know, everything really does point to LVE

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Not even close. Ray was a wrecking ball out there against the best when Miami was a force. He might have gotten washed out on a few plays and missed on some. But his instincts and sideline to sideline were so elite. MLB has to do be able to move well in space which LVE does, but he gets pancaked like crazy. Ray was not even close to LVE's size either. Damn watching Ray back in college gave me chills he hit so freakin hard.
Yeah I don't know what he's talking about. Ray Lewis was a BEAST out there. If he got ran over it must've been a fluke.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
That's the problem you never see him close the gap. He tries to get skinny and gets pancaked. He even does it on the goal line. Watch Evans' tape. The guy is a downhill thumper that can run as well. I don't think he is as good in coverage but man he is strong as hell at the point of attack. If we aren't going to invest in a space eater on the D line we need someone in the middle that will have to take on blocks. That's my opinion based on this team.
Did you see the Ray Lewis post?

scottsp

Reaction score
The guy somehow managed to get 141 tackles in a college season. He also forced 4 fumbles and had 2 interceptions. He single handily created 6 turnovers in 14 games. That’s impressive.
I think we have unrealistic expectations of what a MLB does in the nfl. If people don’t see a wrecking ball destroying 325 lb pulling guards running straight at them and then bringing down a 225lb RB running a 4.4 through the hole then somehow he is labeled as weak. Us fans are guilty of doing this with Jaylon Smith last year also.
Fans can’t accept that the laws of physics can’t be broken and sometimes then LB running into traffic in a gap is the best play because it forced the RB to take a path away from his blockers and where the gap is.

Yeah, no... I'm really speaking to the issues I myself witnessed in the games I viewed, weighing those against pros/cons listed in scouting reports. There is something to be said for his numbers and measurables, but I do not care for what I saw. The other items you referenced are just noise as they have no bearing with respect to this opinion, with the hyperbole being noted :)

Could I be wrong? Hell yes. Even if I did this for a living, there is a good chance of that. Again, what I watched bothered me enough to pass.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I did I responded to it as well. Did you see my response? I also feel if we draft a LB right now at 19, it tells me the team is not sold on Jaylon's progress
Richard wants to play more 3 LB sets against RPO offenses like the seahawks. We just lost Hitchens. Lee is 32 and keeps missing games. LB is a need.

superonyx

Reaction score
Yeah I don't know what he's talking about. Ray Lewis was a BEAST out there. If he got ran over it must've been a fluke.
Watch the entire Ray Lewis video. If you seriously watch that and come back and tell me he was a beast i want you to tell me the time stamp on the video where he was a beast.
This video has him giving up at least 1 TD in coverage and another could possibly be credited to him. He over pursuits, he runs himself out of plays, ect.

If this is the level of play that gets you to say the guy played like a beast then you will be happy no matter who we draft to play MLB.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Watch the entire Ray Lewis video. If you seriously watch that and come back and tell me he was a beast i want you to tell me the time stamp on the video where he was a beast.
This video has him giving up at least 1 TD in coverage and another could possibly be credited to him. He over pursuits, he runs himself out of plays, ect.

If this is the level of play that gets you to say the guy played like a beast then you will be happy no matter who we draft to play MLB.
I would rather have a guy at 6'4" 255 be over aggressive, hit the wrong holes, over pursue, and run himself out of a play. Then a monster of a man seen being soft with any contact and being put on his back by fullbacks and tight ends.

Klingo3034

Reaction score
That's the problem you never see him close the gap. He tries to get skinny and gets pancaked. He even does it on the goal line. Watch Evans' tape. The guy is a downhill thumper that can run as well. I don't think he is as good in coverage but man he is strong as hell at the point of attack. If we aren't going to invest in a space eater on the D line we need someone in the middle that will have to take on blocks. That's my opinion based on this team.
Don't want Evans who can't run 40 yards and has groin injury.

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
If it's LVE at 19 then I will be really disappointed but I guess we would just have to give it time. But man the more I think about it the more nauseous I get

Now you know how I felt on draft day last year when we took Taco.

PUSHfold

Reaction score
There are only 17 players identified as true 1st round worthy this year by the FO. If we don't trade up we aren't going to get one. /QUOTE]

Lol this is ridiculous...you're assuming every single team has the same 17 people as first round grades and each team before us will take one of them.
Dumb rational.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Untapped potential. I don't know how many here have been through Riggins ID, but it's a postage stamp town in the Bitterroots on the Salmon River and known more for their rafting than their football. LVE came from an 8 man program which is an entirely different creature than 11 man and a system where you aren't asked to take on blockers but instead to play with speed and to be a great open field tackler. Most 8 man teams don't even play with two offensive tackles. Because of this, Boise State spoon fed him into the program as a freshman and he was injured after only 6 games as a sophomore. Then after a couple of seasons acclimating to the 11 man system he broke out and had a monster year. While I understand the concerns about shedding blockers, the kid really had less experience at this technique than most of the members of this board who grew up playing 11 man. Maybe some don't want to take a player still learning the position at #19 and that's understandable, but I think he's an immediate contributor and a future star in the league.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'd welcome a pick the caliber or LVE. His upside is more than promising in my view and the immediate returns should be more than sufficient. I'd say he apparently has the intelligence and the physicality to absorb our system quickly and become a highly valued member of the Dallas defense. I'm not overly concerned about the questions about his technique vs. his handling of blocks. It's simply something that every rookie LB must master before becoming fully integrated into the NFL and the jump in its level of their performance demands. I think he could likely resolve our crying need for help at LB.

Last edited:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

That is because BSU asked their LB to shoot gaps. You don't see any of the BSU guys trying to stack. This notion you have going that he cannot fill downhill or scrape down the line and finish just seems ignorant to me.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

I do this same stuff when people tell me Dak can't play. I saw the guy in college just like we all did. He was a man among boys. I didn't even waste time looking at that Youtube video. Ray Lewis was a SAVAGE on the field.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I do this same stuff when people tell me Dak can't play. I saw the guy in college just like we all did. He was a man among boys. I didn't even waste time looking at that Youtube video. Ray Lewis was a SAVAGE on the field.
There lies the problem.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
The knock on Ray Lewis coming out of Miami was that he wasn’t big and that blockers could get their hands on him and dig him out of the hole. In college, Ray’s forte was definitely not taking on blocks. He was all speed and instincts.

So, I’m not saying that LVE won’t learn to take on blocks or that he won’t be good... I’m just saying that it is a projection for him to play in the middle. For this team, at this time, with these needs, I would just want more of a sure thing at 19.

In the second round? Sure. Not with the first though.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.