You know what this board needs? More Chris Johnson Highlights

Shady12

Reaction score
Watched the video.. Very fast but not overly elusive. Like many are saying, a one cut guy. Not going to string moves together. I see a poor man's Jamaal Charles (who has elite agility/quickness/lateral mobility) who can also be a kick returner. Charles probaby could be too but he wasn't asked to return kicks in college. I don't see him as someone you will be able to rely on if MBIII goes down. Would I take him at the end of the second? Yes if other 2nd rounders like Charles and Rice aren't on the board.

SMCowboy

Reaction score
marchetta;2031941 said:
Actually, CJ is a mirror image of Brian Westbrook (Iggles) when he came out of college. It took Brian an offseason to build up his body so that he became an every down franchise RB. CJ has the potential to become an even faster, more explosive, version of Westbrook. However, it's going to take him an offseason to build up his body to be complete everydown RB. His rookie year, he'll be used as a complimentary RB and a 3rd down RB, which is exactly what we need. Then in his 2nd year, he'll be able to carry his share of the load with MBIII. I'd be more than happy with this scenario, but if we want a complete RB that can carry the load NOW with MBIII, then we need a guy like Ray Rice. But I'd be more than happy with either in the 2nd round.

Johnson is NOTHING like Brian Westbrook. Chris Johnson is a 1 cut RB, all the way. He is an absolute PERFECT example of a 1 cut RB. Brian Westbrook is anything BUT a 1 cut RB, he can slip and slide threw more holes than anyone I have seen in a long time.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
SMCowboy;2031971 said:
Chris Johnson is your absolutely prototypical one cut RB. The problem with 1 cut RB's, is that if you are going to be just a one cut RB, then you had better big big and strong, otherwise you are not going to be able to hold up very long as a top flight RB. Chris Johnson will no doubt be able to make thing happen even in the NFL when he gets into space, his speed is amazing. But, in the NFL with his one cut running style, he will be another Tatum Bell.

I went back and watched again and all I see, even against Houston is a RB who makes one cut, and then goes straight ahead. I do not see him move latterly along the LOS looking a feeling for holes and picking his way threw multiple little holes.

Why would he have to make several cuts if one cut puts him in the clear? :confused:

Look, he is what he is: a fast running back.

If you can get open by making one cut, fine.

If it takes you three cuts, fine.

I really don't see what the big deal is.

Chris Johnson is going to need an offensive line that opens holes for him. Then he's off to the races. And even if he's not, he's still going to pick up yards.

I did notice, however, that he was brought down by more than a few ankle tackles. Then, again, if you're that fast and you get in the clear, even if you don't go all the way, you're picking up yards.

With his type of speed, even if he puts more pounds and muscles on - which he will have to - he's not going to lose too much in the speed department.

He has too much of it.

But we'll see. The draft, fortunately, is two weeks away and counting. :D

heavyg

Reaction score
tyke1doe;2031987 said:
Why would he have to make several cuts if one cut puts him in the clear? :confused:

Look, he is what he is: a fast running back.

If you can get open by making one cut, fine.

If it takes you three cuts, fine.

I really don't see what the big deal is.

Chris Johnson is going to need an offensive line that opens holes for him. Then he's off to the races. And even if he's not, he's still going to pick up yards.

I did notice, however, that he was brought down by more than a few ankle tackles. Then, again, if you're that fast and you get in the clear, even if you don't go all the way, you're picking up yards.

With his type of speed, even if he puts more pounds and muscles on - which he will have to - he's not going to lose too much in the speed department.

He has too much of it.

But we'll see. The draft, fortunately, is two weeks away and counting. :D

See here is where I have my problem. I am not saying you are wrong about CJ. But I see the same thing from D-Mac. As far as the ankle tackles. You hardly ever see him lower his shoulder and power through like some of the other RB's in this draft. Yet the ones who want him seem to think he is a mac truck.

I just don't think he is worth giving up a lot of picks to get him. When you can get a back just as good or better (IMO) with out trading picks

Reaction score
heavyg;2032000 said:
See here is where I have my problem. I am not saying you are wrong about CJ. But I see the same thing from D-Mac. As far as the ankle tackles. You hardly ever see him lower his shoulder and power through like some of the other RB's in this draft. Yet the ones who want him seem to think he is a mac truck.

I just don't think he is worth giving up a lot of picks to get him. When you can get a back just as good or better (IMO) with out trading picks

Let them hype Mcfadden man. When he turns out not to be the great running back they claim he will be they will have amnesia.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
heavyg;2032000 said:

I'm not an expert, but I think the difference is that DMac is 6'2 and Chris Johnson is 5'10. It's easier for a shorter back to lower his shoulders than a bigger back.

This isn't a defense for D-Mac or a knock on CJ. I'm just highlighting the differences.

But the thing about "highlight tapes" is that they only show the positive plays.

I don't know from the CJ tape whether he ran into a hole that was clogged and chose another hole. The tape doesn't show that.

So I can't give a complete assessment of his abilities. The scouts have all the tapes on him and, I'm sure, look at all the runs CJ made.

heavyg

Reaction score
tyke1doe;2032008 said:
I'm not an expert, but I think the difference is that DMac is 6'2 and Chris Johnson is 5'10. It's easier for a shorter back to lower his shoulders than a bigger back.

This isn't a defense for D-Mac or a knock on CJ. I'm just highlighting the differences.

But the thing about "highlight tapes" is that they only show the positive plays.

I don't know from the CJ tape whether he ran into a hole that was clogged and chose another hole. The tape doesn't show that.

So I can't give a complete assessment of his abilities. The scouts have all the tapes on him and, I'm sure, look at all the runs CJ made.

Fair enough. I can see your point on the height.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
heavyg;2032000 said:

your wrong about Dmac on so many levels and the fact that you compare him to kordell stewart shows you no nothing about him.

heavyg

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2032016 said:
your wrong about Dmac on so many levels and the fact that you compare him to kordell stewart shows you no nothing about him.

I guess we shall see. Like I said. If I am wrong I will be the first to admit it. Will you?

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I could live with him at #28 as he would bring a different dynamic to our offense, but I can't live with the comparisons of saying he's MB3 with speed. That's ridiculous. Watch MB3 straight-arm defenders and try to hurt them. CJ does none of that. One is a north-south runner, one is not.

And a note to all those who make highlight packages - ditch the slow-mo, we don't care and it's annoying. Those last three minutes were painful.

J-DOG

Reaction score
People who don't like Chris Johnson are never going to like him because they have thier own favorite rb's in this draft.
To me this kid is the real thing...in fact if you are looking for a Wow factor...it's Mcfadden and this kid at rb.
We wouldn't have to trade up to get this kid.
There are a lot of good rb's in this draft...don't get me wrong but the Wow factor involves acceleration,vision and speed.
1.Mcfadden
2.Chris Johnson
3.Jamaal Charles
I don't care if Chris Johnson is seen as a full time rb at this stage...we have Marion Barber for that.
Anyone who thinks that a rb will come in here and get the majority of the carries from Marion Barber is clueless to what we need on offense.
We need speed!!!!!!!!!!
Breakaway speed!!!!!!!
To me Johnson and Charles are the logical choice at rb for me.
Felix Jones is not even close in my opinion.
And don't give me the arguement about level of competition either.
Brian Westbrook went to Villanova for crying out loud. Johnson has similar skill set to Westbrook when he came out for the draft.
Johnson would add so much to our team as far as special teams and recieving out of the backfield. You could even line up in the slot as a wr and create mismatches that way.
Name me another rb in this draft who could come in right away and do that for our team?
You can't.
Although Charles and Mcfadden are fast they do not have the recieving skills of Johnson. And Johnson is faster.
What's not to like???

DFWJC

Reaction score
Kolemmitt;2031795 said:
What scares me about Chris Johnson is that if you take away Tulane and Boise State from his senior year his entire college career, as a whole, seems pretty average.

I am one that would be fine if we don't take CJ, but at least get your facts straight. Not just Tulane and Boise State---how about 301 yards rushing & 4 TDs vs Memphis, 136 yards recieving and 3 TDs vs North Carolina, 147 yrds rushing & 2 TDs vs Houston....etc. The guy is VERY versatile and skilled. He led the nation in total yards.

Once again though, I agree...not in Rd 1, but maybe late Rd2.

Shady12

Reaction score
We don't NEED speed at running back. We just need a good running back. Speed is near the bottom of the attributes you look for in a good running back. Barber, for example, is a Pro Bowl caliber back. He has just about everything you'd want. Speed isn't one of those things. Emmitt Smith didn't have much speed. Speed is a luxury at running back. If you can get it along with everything else, then all the better.

We don't need someone who gets a lot of carries like you said, unless Barber goes down. Then you'd be glad you got more of an every down caliber back.

Now, I like Charles over Johnson among the speed backs for those reasons. I think Charles can turn into an every down back in the NFL. Far from a lock. I'd like him to put on about 10 pounds. I think he can, there's always been talk he didn't want to gain much weight his first couple years at UT due to track. But that's not an issue now and I'd guess he put on most of his weight between before his Jr year when he was focused on football as opposed to track. He's also a good receiver. Just didn't get it thrown to him enough. Just looking at highlight packages he caught a lot more balls down the field, having to make tougher catches, than Johnson..although maybe they just weren't put into the packages I watched for Johnson. And Charles is closer in skill set to Westbrook, they both have a lot more wiggle than Johnson.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Shady12;2032044 said:
We don't NEED speed at running back. We just need a good running back. Speed is near the bottom of the attributes you look for in a good running back. Barber, for example, is a Pro Bowl caliber back. He has just about everything you'd want. Speed isn't one of those things. Emmitt Smith didn't have much speed. Speed is a luxury at running back. If you can get it along with everything else, then all the better.
QFT? Indeed.

DFWJC

Reaction score
dbair1967;2031828 said:
I dont know what people are looking at with this kid...he has homerun speed without a doubt, but not much else

I see Jon Avery 2.0 when I watch this kid as a RB...I like his kick return skill and his hands catching the ball, but I dont see pure RB skills at all...he played against an awful schedule and totaled only 47 yds on 18 carries the first two games of the season (Va tech, N Carolina)...he gained basically half his yds in 3 games, all vs dreadful defensive teams...and he was basically a nobody before this season

he is nowhere near the RB prospect Felix Jones is, or even somebody like Ray Rice for that matter

David

I noticed those 1st two games too, so i looked into it. I suspect you did not.

Va Tech game was at VT: ECUs starting QB was suspended before the game, CJ was coming off a neck injury and VT completly loaded up vs the run. CJ did score a TD though. Anyway, VT shuts down all RBs at home.
The UNC game: CJ destroyed UNC with 136 yeards receiving and 2 TDs plus another TD rushing. That's not a good game to show he is not good, but is a good one to show his versatilty.

I'd be fine getting Felix or Ray Rice, by the way.

SMCowboy

Reaction score
J-DOG;2032027 said:
People who don't like Chris Johnson are never going to like him because they have thier own favorite rb's in this draft.
To me this kid is the real thing...in fact if you are looking for a Wow factor...it's Mcfadden and this kid at rb.
We wouldn't have to trade up to get this kid.
There are a lot of good rb's in this draft...don't get me wrong but the Wow factor involves acceleration,vision and speed.
1.Mcfadden
2.Chris Johnson
3.Jamaal Charles
I don't care if Chris Johnson is seen as a full time rb at this stage...we have Marion Barber for that.
Anyone who thinks that a rb will come in here and get the majority of the carries from Marion Barber is clueless to what we need on offense.
We need speed!!!!!!!!!!
Breakaway speed!!!!!!!
To me Johnson and Charles are the logical choice at rb for me.
Felix Jones is not even close in my opinion.
And don't give me the arguement about level of competition either.
Brian Westbrook went to Villanova for crying out loud. Johnson has similar skill set to Westbrook when he came out for the draft.
Johnson would add so much to our team as far as special teams and recieving out of the backfield. You could even line up in the slot as a wr and create mismatches that way.
Name me another rb in this draft who could come in right away and do that for our team?
You can't.
Although Charles and Mcfadden are fast they do not have the recieving skills of Johnson. And Johnson is faster.
What's not to like???

I don't have a favorite RB in this class. But this comparing him to Brian Westbrook has to stop. You must be BLIND if you can't see that Brian Westbrook and Chris Johnson are 100% opposite type of runners.

Westbrook will constantly pick his way threw holes. Chris Johnson makes one cut and that is it.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Shady12;2032044 said:

Please stop using a once in a lifetime back like Emmit as an example of not needing speed. Emmitt was in the top 1% in vision and patience as a RB.

Here are some present and past RBs who had VERY good speed. It IS one the main things that seperate most of the good ones from the great ones.

M Faulk 5-10 211 4.33
J Addai 5-11 210 4.40
T Dorsett 5-11 192 4.33
Wille Parker 5-10 209 4.28
B Sanders 5-8 203 4.37
L Tomilson 5-10 221 4.38
Jim Brown 6-2 232 sub 4.4 (equivalent to 4.3 now)
Simpson 6-2 212 sub 4.4?
Dickerson 6-3 220 sub 4.4?

My guess is that both CJ and Charles will play at about 205-210lbs. Only the top four on that at list have somewhat similar body types as CJ and Charles, but I wanted to illustrate that speed kills. Parker, IMO, is most similar to CJ.

Emmitt was more the exception than the rule.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Love this RB class ! There is some great talent in the 1st , 2nd , and even 3rd rounds for Dallas to choose from . Personally I'll take J. Charles or the way underrated M. Forte .

DFWJC

Reaction score
SMCowboy;2032061 said:
I don't have a favorite RB in this class. But this comparing him to Brian Westbrook has to stop. You must be BLIND if you can't see that Brian Westbrook and Chris Johnson are 100% opposite type of runners.

Westbrook will constantly pick his way threw holes. Chris Johnson makes one cut and that is it.

I agree with you that Westbrook and CJ's running styles are very different....people are getting carried away with that comparison. They compare only in their abilites to catch the ball and cause chaos out of the backfield.

CJ is WAY WAY faster than Westbrook (4.57 in 40). Westbrook's lower body is stronger, even though he weighs about the same as CJ. Westbrook is shiftier...partyly because he has to be. CJ hits the hole quicker and is gone. However, people saying CJ is a one cut back are overstating it just a bit. Once you make it to free space, it's kind of moronic to keep making cuts....
once you are open, just run to the freaking endzone already! :laugh1:

Cheers

DFWJC

Reaction score
SMCowboy;2031884 said:
The more I see Chris Johnson the more I see Tatum Bell part deux.
:bang2:

I guess time will tell. I think he will be better than Bell though.