You know what this board needs? More Chris Johnson Highlights

SMCowboy

Reaction score
DFWJC;2032074 said:
I agree with you that Westbrook and CJ's running styles are very different....people are getting carried away with that comparison. They compare only in their abilites to catch the ball and cause chaos out of the backfield.

CJ is WAY WAY faster than Westbrook (4.57 in 40). Westbrook's lower body is stronger, even though he weighs about the same as CJ. Westbrook is shiftier...partyly because he has to be. CJ hits the hole quicker and is gone. However, people saying CJ is a one cut back are overstating it just a bit. Once you make it to free space, it's kind of moronic to keep making cuts....
once you are open, just run to the freaking endzone already! :laugh1:

Cheers

Are you saying that Johnson does make other cuts, but that not a single one of his films EVER show it? In those films where he was being tackled before the endzone, he NEVER have a chance to make other cuts.

Being a one cut RB is NOT a bad thing, infact it is the exact type of RB that the Denver Broncos like to use in their system. But to act like Chris Johnson is NOT a 1 cut RB shows you are looking more in awe at his runs, than actually trying to analyze him and his running skills.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Stupid things I have read in this thread.

1) Only making one cut and then hitting the hole hard is now bad. Stupid because last time I checked, if you dont do that its called indecisive and dancing in the backfield.

2) Getting out of your stance and running up to the QB to get the ball is now a bad thing. i really shouldn't have to comment on this. Wow they showed him in slow motion running to get the ball. Wow that was pure genius.

3) The further repetition that he is only speed. I remember at one point theo was trying to talk about how he doesn't cut, he instead shuffles his feet. It was clear ont hat previous clip but this time its not low res and its shown in slow motion. Despite that, I am sure he is babbling that same nonsense in this thread. --best use of the ignore feature yet-- You can see him plant his foot and move laterally behind the line to hit the hole and in the open field to avoid defenders.

Is he able to cut as far as Rice? No but you bet he can moreso than the other top backs except maybe Charles.

Also there are several times where he is hit hard either high or low so that his tread and center of balance are not aligned and he is able to right himself. That is called balance.

As for vision I agree with tyke on this. you cannot say definitively on that until youve seen all the snaps and I agree with that wholeheartedly. It appears he does but we need to see the plays where the line is breaking down to be sure.

4) He showed no power in those clips. Im not even going to bother with all the arm tackles he ran through. But there were two other plays that stuck out to me. One was where he lowered his shoulder at the 5 and rode the safety into the EZ. I guess that is just being glossed over. The second is where hes running up the left sideline and a defender takes a good angle but CJ stiff arms him and then throws him to the ground.

I have seen Rice try to do that and fall down. Yet you people think Rice has power but CJ does not. Lovely.

5) He only makes one cut. Well he does only make one cut and hits the hole decisively like your supposed to. Now quite often when hes past the line, he absolutely destroys pursuit angles but if he comes up on a back or backer he makes cuts spin moves lowers his shoulder, stiff arms etc. And the moves work. All was shown on those clips. But hey the 'hes only speed' mantra continues.

Shady12

Reaction score
DFWJC;2032065 said:
Please stop using a once in a lifetime back like Emmit as an example of not needing speed. Emmitt was in the top 1% in vision and patience as a RB.

Here are some present and past RBs who had VERY good speed. It IS one the main things that seperate most of the good ones from the great ones.

M Faulk 5-10 211 4.33
J Addai 5-11 210 4.40
T Dorsett 5-11 192 4.33
Wille Parker 5-10 209 4.28
B Sanders 5-8 203 4.37
L Tomilson 5-10 221 4.38
Jim Brown 6-2 232 sub 4.4 (equivalent to 4.3 now)
Simpson 6-2 212 sub 4.4?
Dickerson 6-3 220 sub 4.4?

My guess is that both CJ and Charles will play at about 205-210lbs. Only the top four on that at list have somewhat similar body types as CJ and Charles, but I wanted to illustrate that speed kills. Parker, IMO, is most similar to CJ.

Emmitt was more the exception than the rule.

Emmitt was valid, because it shows you don't have to be a burner. I get your point, his attributes made him special, but I'm just showing you don't need to be a burner to be a GOOD running back (now if you're talking GREAT, like in terms of all-time, yeah, the examples of having below average speed are hard to find).

Mainly I just meant in my quoted post is that you don't have to be an elite 4.3 guy. Barber has good quickness, burst, and lateral agility (to go with being very physical of course). He just lacks the top end speed. He, for example, can get through the first level and get you 30-40 yards before being caught. Nothing wrong with that. It would be nice to have a guy who could take it to the house on plays like that but heck if we get another guy who can get 4-5 yards a carry and break some long ones too like Barber can I'm happy with that. But do I want a guy who runs a 4.67 (or something close to that) like Barber did? No. But we don't have to have a HOME RUN GUY either. I wouldn't complain about getting Johnson (unless it's in the first) but looking at the total package of he and other backs in the draft I'd rather have others.

SMCowboy

Reaction score
DFWJC;2032085 said:
:bang2:

I guess time will tell. I think he will be better than Bell though.

I don't care who we draft at RB, as long as his name is NOT Chris Johnson. Looking at the film of all the RB's, all look like very good RB's, except for Johnson. I will be beyond shocked if he doesn't fall on his face like John Avery did. I think he will end up a whole lot WORSE than Tatum Bell.

One cut RB's simply do NOT make it in the NFL if they do not have great strength. In the NFL you are not going to have alot of times where you can make one good cut and them have an open field. You MUST be able to either break the tackle of a LB or Safety or be able to cut and make them miss. The few times in the film where after his first cut, he didn't have an open lane to run, he tried to run threw defenders, at his size, he will never make it in the NFL running like that.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Fuzzy, your thread was a great success. Everyone seems to have "seen the light" and followed in line with your position. Congratulations.

:muttley:

J-DOG

Reaction score
SMCowboy;2032061 said:
I don't have a favorite RB in this class. But this comparing him to Brian Westbrook has to stop. You must be BLIND if you can't see that Brian Westbrook and Chris Johnson are 100% opposite type of runners.

Westbrook will constantly pick his way threw holes. Chris Johnson makes one cut and that is it.
The Westbrook comparisons have always been there...not just from me either.
If you don't think so then that's your own belief, but I think I will believe the numerous scouting reports that have made that same comparisions rather than yours.
And you call me blind.:laugh2:

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
J-DOG;2032121 said:
If you don't think so then that's your own belief, but I think I will believe the numerous scouting reports that have made that same comparisions rather than yours.
I think only Drew Broylhart has made that comparison. And I'm pretty sure his comparison was only about their size (which really doesn't make sense either).

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
J-DOG;2032121 said:

I see absolutely no similarity in their running styles at all...Westbrook can stop and start on a dime and can cut w/o appearing to lose speed, I dont see anythign like that from Johnson at all...Westbrook is also built more powerfully than Johnson is. His thighs appear much bigger

David

J-DOG

Reaction score
Seems to me Westbrook had question marks coming out of college about being a featured rb, but he was quick, could catch the ball out of the backfield and was a good kick returner.
Hmmmn.
Where have I heard that recently?
Similar skill set dudes...who mentioned anything about being similar in body type?

SMCowboy

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2032102 said:
Stupid things I have read in this thread.

1) Only making one cut and then hitting the hole hard is now bad. Stupid because last time I checked, if you dont do that its called indecisive and dancing in the backfield.

I Guess Emmitt Smith, and Brian Westbrook today dance in the hole. Since you obviously don't know enough about what you are talking about let me explain. There is a HUGE difference between dancing in a hole, which is when you tippy toe around and never get anywhere. And Sliding and cutting and slidding and cutting. Watch Brian Westbrook run, he is constantly slipping in and out of cracks and creasing every which way. Chris Johnson make one good cut, and he is gone.

2) Getting out of your stance and running up to the QB to get the ball is now a bad thing. i really shouldn't have to comment on this. Wow they showed him in slow motion running to get the ball. Wow that was pure genius.

Running up to the ball isn't a bad thing, but taking the ball running at or near full speed is. In the NFL you MUST give the line a chance to open holes. You don't take the ball at full speed going forward. Move forward, absolutely, jump up and start sprinting forward to get the ball NO WAY!!!

3) The further repetition that he is only speed. I remember at one point theo was trying to talk about how he doesn't cut, he instead shuffles his feet. It was clear ont hat previous clip but this time its not low res and its shown in slow motion. Despite that, I am sure he is babbling that same nonsense in this thread. --best use of the ignore feature yet-- You can see him plant his foot and move laterally behind the line to hit the hole and in the open field to avoid defenders.

If you don't see that Chris Johnson is a 1 cut runner, then you have no idea what you are looking at. Chris Johnson is the DEFINITION of a 1 cut runner. Noone in this thread ever said anything about just shuffling his feet, what people want to see and have yet to see, is him make a play out of nothing, even if it is just for 8 to 10 yards. Show me a clip where he has nothing, he slides along the LOS and finds a crack. Show me a clip where he makes several cuts.

Is he able to cut as far as Rice? No but you bet he can moreso than the other top backs except maybe Charles.

If you want 1 cut, then you are absolutely right, Chris Johnson does make quite a few great cuts, but after he makes one big cut, once he gets into the open field, he doesn't put any great moves on anyone or make any more cuts, where he plants a foot and moves completely against the grain, then all he does is run around guys.

Also there are several times where he is hit hard either high or low so that his tread and center of balance are not aligned and he is able to right himself. That is called balance.

I will give him that he does have good balance. The one thing you got right this whole thread.

As for vision I agree with tyke on this. you cannot say definitively on that until youve seen all the snaps and I agree with that wholeheartedly. It appears he does but we need to see the plays where the line is breaking down to be sure.

You can definately tell if back back has great vision on highlight films. You watch Ray Rice's highlight film, and you can definately see his vision, just watch him slide along the LOS, till he finds a hole, that happens several times in his film. Or watch film and look for plays where he had to create something out of nothing. That is the glaring hole in Chris Johnson's highlight film, the plays that look dead, but he gets a big gain out of them.

4) He showed no power in those clips. Im not even going to bother with all the arm tackles he ran through. But there were two other plays that stuck out to me. One was where he lowered his shoulder at the 5 and rode the safety into the EZ. I guess that is just being glossed over. The second is where hes running up the left sideline and a defender takes a good angle but CJ stiff arms him and then throws him to the ground.

I have seen Rice try to do that and fall down. Yet you people think Rice has power but CJ does not. Lovely.

Power is taking a hit and running THREW the tackle. Chris Johnson does not do that.

5) He only makes one cut. Well he does only make one cut and hits the hole decisively like your supposed to. Now quite often when hes past the line, he absolutely destroys pursuit angles but if he comes up on a back or backer he makes cuts spin moves lowers his shoulder, stiff arms etc. And the moves work. All was shown on those clips. But hey the 'hes only speed' mantra continues.

You are exactly right, he makes one cut, but after that, if he comes up on someone else, he doesn't plant his foot hard and get past them, he uses spin moves and the likes. Guess what in the NFL the spin moves will not work, so he either has to be able to take the defender on and run THREW the tackle and keep going, or he better be able to cut and make that defender miss. Chris Johnson does NOT have the power to run THREW a defender. When I say run threw him, I mean take him on, and blow him off and keep going, not hit him and gain an extra yard or two. Marion Barber runs THREW the tackles, and if you honestly think that Chris Johnson can run threw the tackles like Marion Barber, then there is no hope for you, you are infatuated with his speed and simply do not see his weakness's.

SMCowboy

Reaction score
J-DOG;2032137 said:
Seems to me Westbrook had question marks coming out of college about being a featured rb, but he was quick, could catch the ball out of the backfield and was a good kick returner.
Hmmmn.
Where have I heard that recently?
Similar skill set dudes...who mentioned anything about being similar in body type?

Similar skill set, yes. Similar runners? not even close. Brian Westbrook is constantly slipping and sliding in and out of holes. Chris Johnson is a one cut runner who after he makes one cut, is running full speed and doesn't make another cut, all he does is try and run around guys.

SMCowboy

Reaction score
J-DOG;2032121 said:

Other than the huddle report show me ONE scouting report that compares Brian Westbrook to Chris Johnson, here is a hint, you won't find one.....

DFWJC

Reaction score
SMCowboy;2032112 said:
I don't care who we draft at RB, as long as his name is NOT Chris Johnson. Looking at the film of all the RB's, all look like very good RB's, except for Johnson. I will be beyond shocked if he doesn't fall on his face like John Avery did. I think he will end up a whole lot WORSE than Tatum Bell.

One cut RB's simply do NOT make it in the NFL if they do not have great strength. In the NFL you are not going to have alot of times where you can make one good cut and them have an open field. You MUST be able to either break the tackle of a LB or Safety or be able to cut and make them miss. The few times in the film where after his first cut, he didn't have an open lane to run, he tried to run threw defenders, at his size, he will never make it in the NFL running like that.

So you prefer the 10-12 RBs out there that very well mkae make someone's team over Chris Johnson? I respect that. Like I siad, we shall see.

I will not even dare to proclaim that I know the answer here....just making observations. From here, I see CJ's upside as being very similar to Wille Parker...but NONE of us really knows. Same goes for all NFL socuts in NFL history. They have an opinion and the better ones are correct more than not---and that's it. I've said all along, I'd consdier him if he's there at 61.

J-DOG

Reaction score
SMCowboy;2032160 said:
Other than the huddle report show me ONE scouting report that compares Brian Westbrook to Chris Johnson, here is a hint, you won't find one.....
Let's see Sporting News draft 08 and Lindy's Pro Football Draft 08.
Oh I forgot...blind people can't read...maybe you can find it in brail.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Youre blind SM. He makes a cut to get to the hole and often does not need to make another cut because the LBer does not have time to react.

i realize what you are trying to say. That CJ is like Julius in that hell get to tthe second level and not make another cut running into defenders. As i said before he makes spin moves and cuts on LBers and safeties consistently when he needs to. Westbrook and Emmitt made cuts becasue they had to CJ does too but because of his speed and burst normally he is powering through arm tackles which as what you saw a lot of.

And despite your time as towel boy, you are in no position to say what the definition of anything is. He made multiple cuts in a lot of thoose runs but he didnt do it just for the fun of it. Thats actually one of the things that his coaches talked about is how he really improved on making people miss once he got past the line.

Sorry but Ill take the word of his OC over yours.

As for Rices vision in the highlight films you have to be kidding me. A friggin moe could have found the gaping holes that his line was created for him. Sure hes patient and sure he finds them but on those highlight films its not as if theyre hard to find.

As Tyke pointed out you need to see what happens when a DE gets free and breaks down the oline and see how a back recovers from that or if a LBer quickly fills a hole that was once open. You don t see that on Rices or CJs film because a good run in those circumstances goes for a few yards.

As I said there were only two plays on that highlight reel where he lowered his shoulder in both he powered on for several more yards. Again your blind.

And no he doesnt just use spin moves although that is one thing. And as for your opinion that spin moves not working in the NFL perhaps you should look at some Barber runs. You truly are clueless.

Oh and if you insist on capitalizing for emphasis at least spell it right. Its THROUGH. As for Barber having power of course he does hes probably pound for pound the most powerful runner in the NFL. he knocked urlacher back. that does not mean that power only means flattening people. if you move a pile that is power. If you stiff arm someone to the ground that is power. if you lower your shoulder to get a tough extra couple of yards that is power. does tham mean you have enough power to pancake top LBers in the NFL. No but that doesnt mean no power at all.

SMCowboy

Reaction score
J-DOG;2032177 said:
Let's see Sporting News draft 08 and Lindy's Pro Football Draft 08.
Oh I forgot...blind people can't read...maybe you can find it in brail.

Anyone who thinks that Brian Wesbrook runs ANYTHING like Chris Johnson is either blind, stupid, or has never seen one of the two run. Because their running styles couldn't be more opposite.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
DFWJC;2032032 said:
I am one that would be fine if we don't take CJ, but at least get your facts straight. Not just Tulane and Boise State---how about 301 yards rushing & 4 TDs vs Memphis, 136 yards recieving and 3 TDs vs North Carolina, 147 yrds rushing & 2 TDs vs Houston....etc. The guy is VERY versatile and skilled. He led the nation in total yards.

Once again though, I agree...not in Rd 1, but maybe late Rd2.

I actually meant Memphis instead of Tulane, you have to forgive me, it was early in the morning! My point was is that if you take a way a handful of games against sub-par defensive teams his rushing stats are not impressive enough for me to take him in the first round. If I am taking a RB in the 1st round, I want him to be a potential #1 back. I tried to allude to the fact that as an all around offensive weapon, including a part-time runner, a reciever, and kick returner he could be pretty special, but that is the kind of guy that I would take in round two or later. I think we are thinking the same thing, but I just did a poor job of explaining it.

J-DOG

Reaction score
SMCowboy;2032198 said:
Anyone who thinks that Brian Wesbrook runs ANYTHING like Chris Johnson is either blind, stupid, or has never seen one of the two run. Because their running styles couldn't be more opposite.
But I'm suppose to believe you?
Skill set not running style.
It's like a brick wall.:laugh2:

coach316

Reaction score
theogt;2031839 said:
People that watched the other video and thought he had agility will probably watch this one and think he has agility. I just don't see it in either one.

ag·ile Function: adjective

1 : marked by ready ability to move with quick easy grace

If that video doesn't define agility...I don't know what does

This is Our Year

Ohama, Kill, 52 is the Mike
Reaction score
The one thing I'll say on Johnson is he passes the eye test. Maybe it's just me but he just looks good. He might be the worst RB in the world but just his physical appearance in pads he looks like a player.