You know what this board needs? More Chris Johnson Highlights

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
You know what this thread needs??

....some more momurdagoomba78. That guy rules.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
tyke1doe;2032008 said:
But the thing about "highlight tapes" is that they only show the positive plays.

I don't know from the CJ tape whether he ran into a hole that was clogged and chose another hole. The tape doesn't show that.

So I can't give a complete assessment of his abilities. The scouts have all the tapes on him and, I'm sure, look at all the runs CJ made.

I think this was the most accurate statement I have heard on this entire post!

adamknite

Reaction score
tomson75;2032217 said:
You know what this thread needs??

....some more momurdagoomba78. That guy rules.

I miss him already. His views on Chris "The Fresh Prince" Johnson, would have contributed greatly to this discussion.

Couldn't be any worse than some I've seen.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
J-DOG;2032210 said:
But I'm suppose to believe you?
Skill set not running style.
It's like a brick wall.:laugh2:

You would think that if you say that he runs like Willie Parker and has a skill set similar to Westbrook that he would finally get it wouldn't you.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Kolemmitt;2032205 said:
I actually meant Memphis instead of Tulane, you have to forgive me, it was early in the morning! My point was is that if you take a way a handful of games against sub-par defensive teams his rushing stats are not impressive enough for me to take him in the first round. If I am taking a RB in the 1st round, I want him to be a potential #1 back. I tried to allude to the fact that as an all around offensive weapon, including a part-time runner, a reciever, and kick returner he could be pretty special, but that is the kind of guy that I would take in round two or later. I think we are thinking the same thing, but I just did a poor job of explaining it.

Point taken....and I agree with Rd 2 (or Rd 3 if the Fortes and Smiths go earlier)

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
coach316;2032212 said:
ag·ile Function: adjective

1 : marked by ready ability to move with quick easy grace

If that video doesn't define agility...I don't know what does

Bias

# (n.) A leaning of the mind; propensity or prepossession toward an object or view, not leaving the mind indifferent; bent; inclination

SMCowboy

Reaction score
J-DOG;2032210 said:
But I'm suppose to believe you?
Skill set not running style.
It's like a brick wall.:laugh2:

When did I ever say that they didn't have similar skill sets? Nowhere, infact I said that their skill sets are similar. But I don't compare RB's based on skill sets, I compare RB's based on running styles.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
SMCowboy;2032253 said:
When did I ever say that they didn't have similar skill sets? Nowhere, infact I said that their skill sets are similar. But I don't compare RB's based on skill sets, I compare RB's based on running styles.

You said that other people were saying that. Youre confused. No one said that CJ ran like Westbrook. What people said is that he runs like Willie Parker and has skills in the passing game like Brian Westbrook as his ceiling.

SMCowboy

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2032187 said:
Youre blind SM. He makes a cut to get to the hole and often does not need to make another cut because the LBer does not have time to react.

i realize what you are trying to say. That CJ is like Julius in that hell get to tthe second level and not make another cut running into defenders. As i said before he makes spin moves and cuts on LBers and safeties consistently when he needs to. Westbrook and Emmitt made cuts becasue they had to CJ does too but because of his speed and burst normally he is powering through arm tackles which as what you saw a lot of.

And despite your time as towel boy, you are in no position to say what the definition of anything is. He made multiple cuts in a lot of thoose runs but he didnt do it just for the fun of it. Thats actually one of the things that his coaches talked about is how he really improved on making people miss once he got past the line.

Sorry but Ill take the word of his OC over yours.

As for Rices vision in the highlight films you have to be kidding me. A friggin moe could have found the gaping holes that his line was created for him. Sure hes patient and sure he finds them but on those highlight films its not as if theyre hard to find.

As Tyke pointed out you need to see what happens when a DE gets free and breaks down the oline and see how a back recovers from that or if a LBer quickly fills a hole that was once open. You don t see that on Rices or CJs film because a good run in those circumstances goes for a few yards.

As I said there were only two plays on that highlight reel where he lowered his shoulder in both he powered on for several more yards. Again your blind.

And no he doesnt just use spin moves although that is one thing. And as for your opinion that spin moves not working in the NFL perhaps you should look at some Barber runs. You truly are clueless.

Oh and if you insist on capitalizing for emphasis at least spell it right. Its THROUGH. As for Barber having power of course he does hes probably pound for pound the most powerful runner in the NFL. he knocked urlacher back. that does not mean that power only means flattening people. if you move a pile that is power. If you stiff arm someone to the ground that is power. if you lower your shoulder to get a tough extra couple of yards that is power. does tham mean you have enough power to pancake top LBers in the NFL. No but that doesnt mean no power at all.

Julius Jones and Chris Johnson run nothing alike. Julius Jones is a slasher, Chris Johnson is a 1 cut RB.

You are right other than the fact that I have been able to talk to several division 1 head football coaches as well as a couple of NFL scouts about what they look for in players. I have no knowledge about what to look for in players.... :lmao2:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Kolemmitt;2032205 said:
I actually meant Memphis instead of Tulane, you have to forgive me, it was early in the morning! My point was is that if you take a way a handful of games against sub-par defensive teams his rushing stats are not impressive enough for me to take him in the first round. If I am taking a RB in the 1st round, I want him to be a potential #1 back. I tried to allude to the fact that as an all around offensive weapon, including a part-time runner, a reciever, and kick returner he could be pretty special, but that is the kind of guy that I would take in round two or later. I think we are thinking the same thing, but I just did a poor job of explaining it.

Thats called cherry picking. While were at it why dont we take out Rice and Charles 3 best games too and see whether they are still top selections. Statistically you do that wehn the mean and the median are very different. Then you remove the highest AND LOWEST to normalize.

you just dont throw out data because it doesnt support your opinion.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
SMCowboy;2032263 said:
Julius Jones and Chris Johnson run nothing alike. Julius Jones is a slasher, Chris Johnson is a 1 cut RB.

You are right other than the fact that I have been able to talk to several division 1 head football coaches as well as a couple of NFL scouts about what they look for in players. I have no knowledge about what to look for in players.... :lmao2:

Sure thing towel boy.

SMCowboy

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2032259 said:
You said that other people were saying that. Youre confused. No one said that CJ ran like Westbrook. What people said is that he runs like Willie Parker and has skills in the passing game like Brian Westbrook as his ceiling.

Sorry, I never saw that, all I have seen is people say that Westbrook and Johnson are similar RB's. If they are simply saying that the skill sets are the same, then yes that is definately the truth....

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
wow! that kid looks so sick!!!..........running against highschool competition.

DFWJC

Reaction score
SMCowboy;2032086 said:
Are you saying that Johnson does make other cuts, but that not a single one of his films EVER show it? In those films where he was being tackled before the endzone, he NEVER have a chance to make other cuts.

Being a one cut RB is NOT a bad thing, infact it is the exact type of RB that the Denver Broncos like to use in their system. But to act like Chris Johnson is NOT a 1 cut RB shows you are looking more in awe at his runs, than actually trying to analyze him and his running skills.

Look, you sound somewhat knowledgeable....but we have a disconnect. I do not think CJ is ultra shifty and if you want to say he's a "one cut" back, no problem here. Maybe we define it differently. If that's so, then so was Tony Dorsett and so is Wille Parker. Usually, as you must know, the faster a back is the harder the coaches preach for them to make a cut and get the hell down field where they use their distinct advantage. There are few blazing RBs that also have crazy moves--two are/were L Tomilson and B Sanders.

Like someone said earlier, we are probabaly making way too much of a few runs on tape. That goes both ways. Most highlights for a speed back are made to show speed...but they are just highlights.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
coach316;2032212 said:
ag·ile Function: adjective

1 : marked by ready ability to move with quick easy grace

If that video doesn't define agility...I don't know what does
I can agree with that.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
the amount of hatred for this kid is ridic.

wow! that kid looks so sick!!!..........running against highschool competition.

tell me the colleges and division of the top 5 RB's in the league

DFWJC

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2032326 said:
the amount of hatred for this kid is ridic.

tell me the colleges and division of the top 5 RB's in the league

Hey, don't let it bother you...so of these dudes are just yanking your chain. You almost can't pick a RB in this draft without finding people that are way down on him. It's the draft...so it's total uncertainty.

But yeah, that comment had to be in jest because the best RB in the league (Tomilson, IMO) played in the same conference as CJ when he was at TCU. TCU has now change conferences, but you get the drift.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;2032264 said:
Thats called cherry picking. While were at it why dont we take out Rice and Charles 3 best games too and see whether they are still top selections. Statistically you do that wehn the mean and the median are very different. Then you remove the highest AND LOWEST to normalize.

you just dont throw out data because it doesnt support your opinion.

Ok, that's fine. Go ahead, I think Rice and Charles are also second round or later guys. Although, I don't think you could honestly compare Johnson's career as a runner to Rice's. To me, a first round back should dominate or at least do well week in or week out, and I only see three of those guys in this draft.
The thing about this kid is that if you take away just five games he is not even an average runner. His recieving and returning skills are a different matter. Five good games versus literally scores of average or poor games over a career. Call it cherry-picking if what you want, but if Im a GM, I can't over look that.
But hey, I could be wrong, I do not claim to be anything of an expert, just a humble fan. If we draft him, Ill be arguing for everything I'm arguing against to all my buddies in a heartbeat.

J-DOG

Reaction score
SMCowboy;2032253 said:
You were saying there was no comparison....remember that.
But there is...and from a lot more reliable sources who actually get paid to make scouting reports.
I could care less if Westbrook's thighs are bigger than Chris Johnson's or if he more powerful.
Johnson has shown that he can get the job done SIMILARY to Westbrook in the same areas.
1.Pass recieving
2.Kick returning
3.As a rb.
I'll let you grumble about how Westbrook is more patient,shifty...yada,yada,yada!
I don't care...I just know Johnson can do the same things as Westbrook could coming out of college. And that's the exact point I was making.