You Will Never Draft The Next Patrick Mahomes If You Handcuff Yourself To Alex Smith

75boyz

Reaction score
Yup, definitely at the risk outweighs the reward stage. This guy can not beat 4 consecutive playoff teams. He can't. Regardless of HC,OC,DC or personnel support. Hes peaked and reached his ceiling.
So with that said, just caving in to 2 more seasons is my biggest hangup as well. I say draft one this year, let him play some or all the time and inform Dak that new guy is the starter for '24 so as to force Dak's no trade clause hand.

Minimize as best as you can this QB purgatory to ONE year vice 2.

AGAIN Yes, the risk is worth it because the team is absolutely going no further with Dak.

zenmastersauce

Reaction score
I see many fans here simply satisfied with making the playoffs and winning a few regular season games.

The Chiefs made the playoffs the year they traded up to draft Mahomes and the rest is history.

We all know that if the situations would have been reversed we'd have fans here saying things like "Alex Smith's don't just grow on trees! We made the playoffs! You just need to get him help at WR and OL. If we do that we're good!"

It's impossible to know if you're getting the next Mahomes or the next Manziel, but you're never going to know unless you actually try.

The Cowboys FO biggest issue is handcuffing itself to mediocrity and becoming comfortable in it. That's not just with the QB position either. However, the QB position needs to be taken seriously. We've not taken a QB in the 1st round since Aikman. I'd much rather us try on the unknown talent then handcuff ourselves to mediocrity.
There is a literal graveyard of possibilities that exists in the NFL with teams who regularly risk it all to draft up to get that guy. The issue is that those same teams are also the ones struggling at the bottom of the league. Titans? Browns? Bears? Lions? The list goes on. I think the entire lot of you would be more irritated if we had a life where we basically have zero to look forward to at all than to at least make a decent run of things in the playoffs. Sometimes it's luck, sometimes it's the players but the facts bare out that more often than not. Whether it is Dak or someone else, Brady was found late in the draft, and Goff or Wentz was first round so you pick your poison. The reality though is Dak is at the point of conversation in do we keep him so this next year after Kellen with a different QB and OC coach will decide that long-term keeping need. As for McCarthy, he is there to stay likely regardless of what happens to Dak.

zenmastersauce

Reaction score
KC replaced a well paid starting QB who wasnt quite good enough and made it to the SB.
TB replaced a well paid starting QB etc...
Rams replaced etc.
Eagles replaced etc.
Bengals replaced etc.

Anyone see a pattern?
There is also another pattern,
Texans
Titans
Bears
Lions
Jets
do you see a pattern? How many have had the draft capital for years? Point is that its very possible to go one way or the other in the NFL where nothing is certain or guaranteed.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
I see many fans here simply satisfied with making the playoffs and winning a few regular season games.

The Chiefs made the playoffs the year they traded up to draft Mahomes and the rest is history.

We all know that if the situations would have been reversed we'd have fans here saying things like "Alex Smith's don't just grow on trees! We made the playoffs! You just need to get him help at WR and OL. If we do that we're good!"

It's impossible to know if you're getting the next Mahomes or the next Manziel, but you're never going to know unless you actually try.

The Cowboys FO biggest issue is handcuffing itself to mediocrity and becoming comfortable in it. That's not just with the QB position either. However, the QB position needs to be taken seriously. We've not taken a QB in the 1st round since Aikman. I'd much rather us try on the unknown talent then handcuff ourselves to mediocrity.
I think the part we are all missing here is the owner. he isn't getting younger and the constant rebuild is probably painful for him and his conservative approach.

Part of it is the possibility that he thinks he is very close to the SuperBowl. A person only makes change when he/she is forced to or believes they have to. Outside of that you end up pounding sand trying to convince for drastic change.

2023 is going to be a MM team with Dak at the helm. The question that has to be answered is how will this end up being different than any other years and how have we actually pursued improvement on the field and not just on paper.

kevinhickey

Reaction score

I totally agree with this post. There comes a time when the owner need to look in the mirror and ask themselves....Can Dak take us to a championship? We have to be ready when the right guy comes along and be aggressive with the pursuit

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Realistically they can’t from under Dak. But I’d look in later rounds to find someone. The bar isn’t Mahomes. You can win with guys not as good as him. Chiefs are a far better team than people give them credit for. Andy Reid is an offensive mastermind and they do a great job of putting guys on that team that fits scheme. Dallas just puts names together and hope they gel.
Reid...lol... he is such a Mastermind that in his entire coaching career he reached 1 super bowl prior to Mahomes arriving. Mahomes arrived and 5 straight AFC title games and 3 super bowls in 5 years.

If Mahomes was with the Dolphins, Reid would have been in zero Super Bowls. Did you watch Mahomes out there on 1 leg taking his team to the Super Bowl? Had zip to do with his coaches.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Reid...lol... he is such a Mastermind that in his entire coaching career he reached 1 super bowl prior to Mahomes arriving. Mahomes arrived and 5 straight AFC title games and 3 super bowls in 5 years.

If Mahomes was with the Dolphins, Reid would have been in zero Super Bowls. Did you watch Mahomes out there on 1 leg taking his team to the Super Bowl? Had zip to do with his coaches.
Reid went to a SB with the Eagles and what 5 NFCCG before Mahomes was even in college.

Just stop it.

kskboys

Reaction score

Yup.

Kudos to Reid for realizing he needed a better QB, and that Mahomes might be it.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
And let’s be honest…they really can’t move on from him right now anyway. They should always look to draft a guy you never know you may hit again. But Mahomes is once in a generation. If you are searching for that you will find yourself looking like the Jets.
I think you should at least consider this. Yes, Mahomes is generational, the best I've ever seen, ever.

However, you have to admit the position has evolved and Mahomes "like" QB's might not be so rare. Kids in high school have 1500 reps in spread offenses between games and camps before they even get to college. Caleb Williams could be awesome (or a bust) but you are seeing things from QB's like Josh Allen we just haven't seen before.

So I think the possibility of finding a good to great QB is not as far-fetched as it once was and the league could have 8-10 great QB's at any one time.

But at the very least, the organization owes its fan base hope by drafting a QB, even if it's in a later round

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I totally agree with this post. There comes a time when the owner need to look in the mirror and ask themselves....Can Dak take us to a championship? We have to be ready when the right guy comes along and be aggressive with the pursuit
Well sure if the owner in question simply had a big ego and thought he must consider other options to win a championship.

That is not Jerry Jones.

Jerry Jones' mindset is that he has a keen football mind, which determined Dak Prescott will win a championship.

Which he determined with Tony Romo before him.

Which he determined with Quincy Carter before him.

Literally, he looks into the mirror every day. Other eyes see (or should see after all this time) an owner who has not relinquished general managership for 34 years that should have gotten him fired decades ago. His eyes see a Pro Football Hall of Fame general manager who constructed rosters that won three Super Bowls. And did so as an owner to boot.

Jerry Jones is not your average owner. Never was. Never will be. The only time he sees things and is forced to defend his way of thinking is whenever someone corners him and puts him on the spot. That has happened very rarely unfortunately.

Hardline

Reaction score
Full disclosure, you usually annoy me with all your hate Dak posts. But this was well stated and I’m starting to agree with you. Maybe there’s still a chance for us to be friends. At the very least, I can give you a like for this post.
The best way to be friends is not falsely accuse people of being Dak haters.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
I like this comparison simply for the fact that just lie Alex smith had a boring game dak Prescott also has a boring game. He can’t throw a deep ball. Nothing comes easy. Methodical touchdown drives punctuated with a zeke smash dive. Or a ceedee lamb catch and run for 6. Pollard too.

I remember with romo we was watching some game and my old step mother just out of nowhere, she didn’t even care about football, but for some reason out of nowhere she jumped out of her chair and screamed “just throw the ball!!” Because romo was doing his typical dodge duck dip dive dodge routine. Think he ended up completing it too. He shut that burnt roast cooking seahag right up . Ko seriously she cooks for past worse than Dak Prescott throws back shoulder fades