Your favorite Horror Movies ever

Hardline

Reaction score
All my favorites have already been mentioned
I love horror movies that are more psychological and keep you on the edge of your seat than straight up monster or slasher movies

Two of the creepiest movies I've ever seen was black and white silent movies made in the 1920s.

Hexen
Nosferatu

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know why but movies like Wrong Turn creep me out more than most horror movies.

There was this X Files episode about this mutant family that kept getting the deformed and grotesque mother pregnant and I couldn't shake that for a while and I saw an interview with Duchovny and he said that was the most disturbing episode he did. The house was made to resemble Texas Chainsaw and if you are ever on I-35, north of Denton, there is a house that's very close to the interstate that very closely resembles that creepy house, I always speed up, like running through the graveyard, when I pass it. Which is silly, spooky things are always faster than we are.

You ever notice Jason and Michael don't run but they always catch whoever they're after. Which supports my theory, dead things don't need a second wind. If they were chasing me, I'd not run and ask them "since I am being cooperative, will you take it easy one me"? You know, like thinking when that cop hits the light, you pull over thinking he will be nicer to you if he doesn't have to chase you down.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know why but movies like Wrong Turn creep me out more than most horror movies.

There was this X Files episode about this mutant family that kept getting the deformed and grotesque mother pregnant and I couldn't shake that for a while and I saw an interview with Duchovny and he said that was the most disturbing episode he did. The house was made to resemble Texas Chainsaw and if you are ever on I-35, north of Denton, there is a house that's very close to the interstate that very closely resembles that creepy house, I always speed up, like running through the graveyard, when I pass it. Which is silly, spooky things are always faster than we are.

You ever notice Jason and Michael don't run but they always catch whoever they're after. Which supports my theory, dead things don't need a second wind. If they were chasing me, I'd not run and ask them "since I am being cooperative, will you take it easy one me"? You know, like thinking when that cop hits the light, you pull over thinking he will be nicer to you if he doesn't have to chase you down.

Oh yes, the "Wrong Turn" series... I've watched them all. Went like many series, the first one was the best and then gradually went south from there. The bloodletting was strong throughout the series.

"Home". Great X-Files episode. Easily in the top-10.

Did you know the woman who played the mother, came back and played another character in the reboot? It was the episode where the brother & sister (she was the sister) were playing a version of "Hang-man" that was actually killing people they didn't like.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Another relatively unknown gem...

"Rituals" made in 1977 and starring Hal Holbrook. Sort of a twist on "Deliverance".

A very good and well acted movie.

It was made in Canada and did not get much in the way of distribution in the US. Still somewhat hard to find, but worth the effort to find it!

quickccc

Reaction score
All my favorites have already been mentioned
I love horror movies that are more psychological and keep you on the edge of your seat than straight up monster or slasher movies

Two of the creepiest movies I've ever seen was black and white silent movies made in the 1920s.

Hexen
Nosferatu

I was always fun-creeped out by the look of Nosferatu.
Why would someone even dare enter a house as guests when the bald host is pale as a ghost, has 9 inch nails and that classic snag tooth fangs?. ..lol
and the way he bites down on the neck of sleeping damsels with those damn neck pokers.

I couldn't follow silent films, but I am glad they updated a color film and English language dubbed version.(1979 version)
I do wonder if the look of " Nosferatu Vampyre " ended up playing a big idea in the look and making of the villain vampire in Salem's Lot, which by the way (along with Count Yorga, Vampire)
was a pretty damn creepy looking vampire movie.

quickccc

Reaction score
this is just my own horror genre top 10 listing:

Best Vampire movies
1 John Carpenters Vampires
2 From Dusk til Dawn
3 Let the Right One in (2008)
4 Queen of the Damned
5 Fright Night 2
6) 30 Days of Night
7 Fright Night
8 Interview with a Vampire
9 Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter
10 Lair of the White Worm

Best Werewolf movies
1 American Werewolf in London
2 Dog Soldiers
3 the Howling
4 Silver Bullet
5 American Werewolf in Paris
6 Underworld
7 the Wolf man 2010
8 Ginger Snaps
9 Red Riding Hood
10 the boy who cried Werewolf

Best Zombie movies
1 Dawn of the Dead (1978)
2 Gates of Hell ( city of the living dead)
3 Dead Alive
4 Return of the Living Dead
5 Day of the Dead
6 Resident Evil
7 Land of the Dead
8 Dawn of the Dead (2004 remake)
9 Return of the Living Dead 3
10 Shaun of the Dead

Best Demonic Movies
1 the Exorcist
2 Evil Dead
3 The Conjuring
4 Light outs
5 Nightmare on Elm Street
6 Jeepers Creepers 2
7 Dead by Dawn
8 Child’s Play
9 Night of the Demons
10 Demons

Best Slasher movies
1 Saw
2 the Shining
3 Friday the 13th
4 Hostel
5 Scream
6 Pieces
7 Texas Chainsaw Massacre
8 Halloween
9 My Bloody Valentine
10 P2

Best Supernatural phenom movies
1 Carrie
2 Poltergeist
3 Final Destination 2
4 the Omen
5 Scanners
6 the Fury
7 Paranormal Activity
8 Firestarter
9 Thinner
10 the Spell

Best Animal- Nature Horror

1 Jaws
2 Jurassic Park
3 Arachnidphobia
4 Kingdom of the Spiders
5 The Birds
6 Deep Blue Sea
7 Anaconda
8 Lake Placid
9 Foods of the Gods
10 Snakes on a Plane

quickccc

Reaction score
The extreme heretical language, coming out of the mouth of a young girl, as she stabs herself repeatedly (where she does) with a crucifix was probably the most shocking thing ever put on film, IMO. That added to the believability as well.

yeh, ... and that was before the studio decided to edit and cut out the very creepy " spider- walk " that Regan coming down the stairs.
I never had an idea of that scene until I saw the Director's uncut version. I dunno why they decided to cut that scene out of the original release.
but when you combine and bring to the film world of the taboo talk and image of demonic possession among culture mainstream, and you add the dark, shadowy creepy look and atmosphere
the unique special effects makeup (Regans' face) the pea-soup vomit, the bed- rocking, hovering body floating, the demonic voice and taught, music theme, it was just so
many phenoms that made this film stand out,

But my question is with today's CGI special effects, cinematography, and advance camera work, why is so hard to duplicate the hysteria and success of this '73 classic ,and note how
there's been sequels to it, and even a failed flopped TV series using it's name title, but never the idea of a movie remake.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
yeh, ... and that was before the studio decided to edit and cut out the very creepy " spider- walk " that Regan coming down the stairs.
I never had an idea of that scene until I saw the Director's uncut version. I dunno why they decided to cut that scene out of the original release.
but when you combine and bring to the film world of the taboo talk and image of demonic possession among culture mainstream, and you add the dark, shadowy creepy look and atmosphere
the unique special effects makeup (Regans' face) the pea-soup vomit, the bed- rocking, hovering body floating, the demonic voice and taught, music theme, it was just so
many phenoms that made this film stand out,

But my question is with today's CGI special effects, cinematography, and advance camera work, why is so hard to duplicate the hysteria and success of this '73 classic ,and note how
there's been sequels to it, and even a failed flopped TV series using it's name title, but never the idea of a movie remake.
It's the whole kebab. Acting, FX that looked real enough, without going CGI, phenomenal story, and a score that enhanced the suspense...Suspense, by the way, is what makes a movie "scary", as opposed to the many "startle" flicks out there.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's the whole kebab. Acting, FX that looked real enough, without going CGI, phenomenal story, and a score that enhanced the suspense...Suspense, by the way, is what makes a movie "scary", as opposed to the many "startle" flicks out there.
I agree, scary is that sense of dread and unease that you can't shake, even after the movie ends. That's why I consider "Alien" to be the best ever for me. He set the scene from the beginning that a simple movement of air moving a page made the audience jump. It was an unique experience for a man that loved creature features growing. I was conflicted, I knew this was something I'd never seen before, this was one of a kind and at the same time was looking forward to the end so I could exhale.

Usually, they'll give us a break, inject something light or comedic to break the tension but Scott never let us off the hook.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
this is just my own horror genre top 10 listing:

Best Vampire movies
1 John Carpenters Vampires
2 From Dusk til Dawn
3 Let the Right One in (2008)
4 Queen of the Damned
5 Fright Night 2
6) 30 Days of Night
7 Fright Night
8 Interview with a Vampire
9 Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter
10 Lair of the White Worm

Best Werewolf movies
1 American Werewolf in London
2 Dog Soldiers
3 the Howling
4 Silver Bullet
5 American Werewolf in Paris
6 Underworld
7 the Wolf man 2010
8 Ginger Snaps
9 Red Riding Hood
10 the boy who cried Werewolf

Best Zombie movies
1 Dawn of the Dead (1978)
2 Gates of Hell ( city of the living dead)
3 Dead Alive
4 Return of the Living Dead
5 Day of the Dead
6 Resident Evil
7 Land of the Dead
8 Dawn of the Dead (2004 remake)
9 Return of the Living Dead 3
10 Shaun of the Dead

Best Demonic Movies
1 the Exorcist
2 Evil Dead
3 The Conjuring
4 Light outs
5 Nightmare on Elm Street
6 Jeepers Creepers 2
7 Dead by Dawn
8 Child’s Play
9 Night of the Demons
10 Demons

Best Slasher movies
1 Saw
2 the Shining
3 Friday the 13th
4 Hostel
5 Scream
6 Pieces
7 Texas Chainsaw Massacre
8 Halloween
9 My Bloody Valentine
10 P2

Best Supernatural phenom movies
1 Carrie
2 Poltergeist
3 Final Destination 2
4 the Omen
5 Scanners
6 the Fury
7 Paranormal Activity
8 Firestarter
9 Thinner
10 the Spell

Best Animal- Nature Horror

1 Jaws
2 Jurassic Park
3 Arachnidphobia
4 Kingdom of the Spiders
5 The Birds
6 Deep Blue Sea
7 Anaconda
8 Lake Placid
9 Foods of the Gods
10 Snakes on a Plane

Not too many b/w movies on your list...

No "Dracula" (1931) or "The Wolf Man" (1941)?

Both are better films than several in either category.

I wouldn't consider "Saw", "The Shining" or "Hostel" slasher flicks.

"Silver Bullet" and "American Werewolf in Paris" both better than "Underworld"? Wow! And again Lon Chaney Jr.'s "Wolf Man" isn't even on the list.

"Jeepers Creepers 2" is a decent flick but it should never be on anyone's top-10 list. lol

"Jeepers Creepers" (first one) is for the first hour, one of the finest horror films I've ever seen. The last 30 minutes are underwhelming but overall it's better film than #2.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My list of top made for TV horror films...

1. Night Stalker
2. Gargoyles
3. Salem's Lot
4. Don't Be Afraid of the Dark
5. Night Strangler
6. Killdozer
7. Snowbeast
8. It
9. Night of the Scarecrow
10. Duel

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some random comments on various Stephen King "for TV" mini-series adaptions...

"The Stand". Solid mini-series. Great cast of actors. I know a lot of folks really enjoyed this and consider it King's best adaption. I can't go that far. I think it's a good adaption but not as good as "Salem's Lot" and "It".

"The Langoliers". I thought is was a decent mini-series. The story was good. Unfortunately the special effects were sub-par, but considering what they were trying to accomplish it probably was the best they could do for a 1995 made for TV production.

"Kingdom Hospital". Very much enjoyed this. It's long, and kind of confusing unless you pay attention but for some reason it clicked with me.

"Rose Red". Stephen King's attempt at a "Hell House" type ghost story. I thought it was good. The acting was good and the story captivating.

"Storm of the Century". I thought it was terrific. For some reason it hardly gets mentioned by horror fans. But it truly is horrifying and the ending is harsh.

"The Shining". This was the Stephen King directed effort. It's a true adaption of his book and with that is in many ways much different than Stanley Kubrick's version. Unfortunately for King, I think his version stinks and Kubrick's is considered not just a great horror film but one of the great films of all-time.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
"Attack of the Mushroom people"

I remember it being about a tramp steamer ship run aground ( or something similar) where previous castaway saliors , I guess ate the mushrooms that grew on that island, transforming them into walking, tatter clad ,Lumbering, huge fat mushroom headed people,,, bullets would just blow huge chunks offa' them( I remember that part,as I don't think I was very old when I watched it that one time,it was a black&white flick)

quickccc

Reaction score
Not too many b/w movies on your list...

No "Dracula" (1931) or "The Wolf Man" (1941)?

Both are better films than several in either category.

I wouldn't consider "Saw", "The Shining" or "Hostel" slasher flicks.

"Silver Bullet" and "American Werewolf in Paris" both better than "Underworld"? Wow! And again Lon Chaney Jr.'s "Wolf Man" isn't even on the list.

"Jeepers Creepers 2" is a decent flick but it should never be on anyone's top-10 list. lol

"Jeepers Creepers" (first one) is for the first hour, one of the finest horror films I've ever seen. The last 30 minutes are underwhelming but overall it's better film than #2.

lol .. I do like re-watching some particular black and white horror movies; a couple of them are not old 50’s and 60’s classic, just formatted in black & white film footage
Here's a look at my favorite Black/White horror films :

1. Creature from the Black Lagoon (surprised no remake?)
2. Night of the Living Dead
3. The Incredible Shrinking Man (battle vs huge house tarantula is an epic classic !)
4. Psycho
5 The Fly ( “help me !” )
6. Village of the Damned (1960) (I did like the late Christopher Reeves' remake version much better)
7. The Addiction
8 A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (2014)
9. Plan 9 from outer space (only because Vampira graveyard scene scared me when I was really young kid)
10 Wasp Woman (I just found out there's a 2004 remake of this)
11 Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein (zany clumsy comedy vs fright horror)

I will definitely check out this “ Carnival of Souls “ that’s been mentioned. Has me very curious to see,
That’s why I love threads like this as I never knew certain films as such ever existed.

quickccc

Reaction score
"Attack of the Mushroom people"

I remember it being about a tramp steamer ship run aground ( or something similar) where previous castaway saliors , I guess ate the mushrooms that grew on that island, transforming them into walking, tatter clad ,Lumbering, huge fat mushroom headed people,,, bullets would just blow huge chunks offa' them( I remember that part,as I don't think I was very old when I watched it that one time,it was a black&white flick)

i'd like to rewatch this again too.
I have very vague dim memory of it. but I do remember that this film would play on TV several times.
I wonder if it was this Mushroom movie that spawn dorky the cult classic " Attack of the Killer Tomatoes " (one of my guilty-pleasure movies)

quickccc

Reaction score

1. Night Stalker
2. Gargoyles
3. Salem's Lot
5. Night Strangler
6. Killdozer
7. Snowbeast
8. It
10. Duel

Wow, Mike, .your first three is right on target with my TV horror movie favorites – Gargoyles was so fascinating when it first appeared – it’s another that I’m surprised that’s it’s not been a remake.
I need to see re-watch “ Don’t be Afraid “ I remember the climatic conclusion with the lady victim and her camera she tried to use to save her,.. but that’s all I recall, and isn’t there a remake of it ?

- I was so glad that Night Stalker evolved into a weekly series (Kolchak the Night Stalker) and that added with the Night Gallery TV series that I always watched addictively.

- If " Duel" is the Dennis Weaver version, (which I loved) I considered that as more of Mystery/Suspense than a Horror.
And that’s exactly the kind of movie that has me saying – “ what would I do if I was in Weaver’s situation ?”
Duel also reminded me of Kurt Russell’s “ Breaking Down. “

Salem’s Lot was another one of my favorite Made for TV classic, Creepy and Dark. Especially when the Vampires are stalking victims by creeping up to their windows.
And David Soul shaking in his boots when confronting a “ rising” vampire in the Medical Coroner’s office – another classic scene !
I don’t think I care for the remake of Salem’s Lot as I did the original.
I definitely remembers Stephen King’s IT from the TV version - but you’re right, I enjoyed the remake "IT" much better

quickccc

Reaction score

1. Night Stalker
2. Gargoyles
3. Salem's Lot
5. Night Strangler
6. Killdozer
7. Snowbeast
8. It
10. Duel

My Favorite Made for TV Horror films:

1. Trilogy of Terror ( how I loved the voodoo doll chase scene)
2 Gargoyles
3. “ V” (two movie series versions)
4. The Spell
5 Tarantula Deadly Cargo (1977)
6 Helter Skelter
7 Ants
8 Reflections of Murder (the undead rising bathtub scene!)
9 The Deadly Tower (Charles Witman story)
10. Vampire (ABC or NBC?) 1986

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Some random comments on various Stephen King "for TV" mini-series adaptions...

"The Stand". Solid mini-series. Great cast of actors. I know a lot of folks really enjoyed this and consider it King's best adaption. I can't go that far. I think it's a good adaption but not as good as "Salem's Lot" and "It".

"The Langoliers". I thought is was a decent mini-series. The story was good. Unfortunately the special effects were sub-par, but considering what they were trying to accomplish it probably was the best they could do for a 1995 made for TV production.

"Kingdom Hospital". Very much enjoyed this. It's long, and kind of confusing unless you pay attention but for some reason it clicked with me.

"Rose Red". Stephen King's attempt at a "Hell House" type ghost story. I thought it was good. The acting was good and the story captivating.

"Storm of the Century". I thought it was terrific. For some reason it hardly gets mentioned by horror fans. But it truly is horrifying and the ending is harsh.

"The Shining". This was the Stephen King directed effort. It's a true adaption of his book and with that is in many ways much different than Stanley Kubrick's version. Unfortunately for King, I think his version stinks and Kubrick's is considered not just a great horror film but one of the great films of all-time.
I completely disagree on The Stand. I thought the pace and the acting were terrible, and for the most part, the casting was really bad. Trashcan Man was possibly the lone exception. Everyone else was absolutely forgettable.

quickccc

Reaction score
My Favorite Horror TV shows series:

1 Walking Dead
2 Stranger Things
3 True Blood
4 the Strain
5 American Horror story
6 Salem’s Lot
7 Vampire Diaries
8 Penny Dreadful
9 Dexter