13 the Gate
14 Preacher
15 Tales from the Darkside
16 Tales from the Crypt
17 Kolchak the Nightstalker
18 Night Gallery
19 Salem
20 Van Helsing the series
Supernatural is an awesome show. The first couple of seasons were actually pretty scary, and the story throughout the whole series is very original, and has a wide scope.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I completely disagree on The Stand. I thought the pace and the acting were terrible, and for the most part, the casting was really bad. Trashcan Man was possibly the lone exception. Everyone else was absolutely forgettable.

I'm surprised at how many folks think that is his best TV adaption.

I fall in between... I don't think it's great nor do I think it's terrible.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
i'd like to rewatch this again too.
I have very vague dim memory of it. but I do remember that this film would play on TV several times.
I wonder if it was this Mushroom movie that spawn dorky the cult classic " Attack of the Killer Tomatoes " (one of my guilty-pleasure movies)

Well, I'd google-foo'd it pretty soon after I'd posted about it&,,,1) it hails from the land of the rising sun/ starring the sons& daughters of Nippon,,,2) it's filmed in color,instead of black&white like I'd thought remembering seeing it,3) it also runs by an alternative labelling of "Mantango"( or something sounding like that, I'm not sure,) 4) it debuted in 1963( I knew I wasn't very old when it hit the broadcasting station in my A.O.( whenever that was?,,i prolly wasn't 6 or 8 y.o., anyway),,,,:lmao:IDK if it did, my friend,but I'm gonna' do the Google- Foo on the "attack of the killer tomatoes" here pretty quick,:lmao: to see if there's any cross correlation tween the two in directors/ producers( I doubt it)& to see what year it was released in.

Melonfeud

Reaction score
lol .. I do like re-watching some particular black and white horror movies; a couple of them are not old 50’s and 60’s classic, just formatted in black & white film footage
Here's a look at my favorite Black/White horror films :

1. Creature from the Black Lagoon (surprised no remake?)
2. Night of the Living Dead
3. The Incredible Shrinking Man (battle vs huge house tarantula is an epic classic !)
4. Psycho
5 The Fly ( “help me !” )
6. Village of the Damned (1960) (I did like the late Christopher Reeves' remake version much better)
7. The Addiction
8 A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (2014)
9. Plan 9 from outer space (only because Vampira graveyard scene scared me when I was really young kid)
10 Wasp Woman (I just found out there's a 2004 remake of this)
11 Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein (zany clumsy comedy vs fright horror)

I will definitely check out this “ Carnival of Souls “ that’s been mentioned. Has me very curious to see,
That’s why I love threads like this as I never knew certain films as such ever existed.
Then you ought to check out "Bucket of Blood",,, as it's kind of a "hep-cat beatnik's twisty artistic" in it's plot,,,

Melonfeud

Reaction score
"Carnival of Souls" (1962)

It has only been in the last 10 years that I first watched this gem.

Definitely a "B grade" horror film but there's a depth to it that many horror films (both new & old) fail to reach.

Low budget film that used several local actors, it's the story that's the real winner here. Also the actress that is the main character did a decent job.

The film supposedly influenced George Romero and how he developed "Night of the Living Dead" 5 years later.
*I got that flick on DvD:thumbup:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A lot of many horror films have given me "jump scares" over the years...

But there have only been a few that really freaked me out for more than a night.

A relatively unknown flick from 1972 called "The Grave of the Vampire" did just that.

It wasn't a "made for TV" flick but was a limited theater-run type flick that ended up on TV not long after its initial release.

The violence was pretty intense for a film being shown on regular TV, but that was topped by the vampire raping a woman and her conceiving his child. You don't see the actual rape, but the lead-in to the rape was graphic and obvious.

The film bothered me for days after.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

But there have only been a few that really freaked me out for more than a night.

A relatively unknown flick from 1972 called "The Grave of the Vampire" did just that.

It wasn't a "made for TV" flick but was a limited theater-run type flick that ended up on TV not long after its initial release.

The violence was pretty intense for a film being shown on regular TV, but that was topped by the vampire raping a woman and her conceiving his child. You don't see the actual rape, but the lead-in to the rape was graphic and obvious.

Never saw The Grave of the Vampire, but I've seen Kiss of the Vampire, with Alyssa Milano........sigh. That one "bothered" me for days too.
:thumbup:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know a "hand" coming up outta' the ground at the end of a movie always put the "jump scare" into me:lmao:

*That hand coming up outta' the water at the end of Deliverance ,did it as well.
Yeah, that and an eyeball peeking through a hole in the wall.

Hey, how about Ash Williams hand in Evil Dead II? I slept in handcuffs for a week after seeing that.

quickccc

Reaction score
Never saw The Grave of the Vampire, but I've seen Kiss of the Vampire, with Alyssa Milano........sigh. That one "bothered" me for days too.
:thumbup:

I have Grave of Vampire, i'll have to rewatch it to see that scene ,

quickccc

Reaction score
Not too many b/w movies on your list...

No "Dracula" (1931) or "The Wolf Man" (1941)?

Both are better films than several in either category.

I wouldn't consider "Saw", "The Shining" or "Hostel" slasher flicks.

"Silver Bullet" and "American Werewolf in Paris" both better than "Underworld"? Wow! And again Lon Chaney Jr.'s "Wolf Man" isn't even on the list.

"Jeepers Creepers 2" is a decent flick but it should never be on anyone's top-10 list. lol

"Jeepers Creepers" (first one) is for the first hour, one of the finest horror films I've ever seen. The last 30 minutes are underwhelming but overall it's better film than #2.

I just thought about another horror classic that was Black and White format, a vampire movie at that, and one that ended up being one of my favorite Vamp-flick growing up, even before
the Cushing/Lee Hammer films. " Slaughter of the Vampires "
(and i have to admit the female vampires in it had quite some sex appeal in this movie.)

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just thought about another horror classic that was Black and White format, a vampire movie at that, and one that ended up being one of my favorite Vamp-flick growing up, even before
the Cushing/Lee Hammer films. " Slaughter of the Vampires "
(and i have to admit the female vampires in it had quite some sex appeal in this movie.)
You are not going to stop thinking of another.

quickccc

Reaction score
Which scene?

the scene Michael Winicki is referring to in an earlier post, where vamp force rapes a woman and she ends up pregnant and having the baby in Grave of the Vampire.
Been so long since I've seen that movie as I need to rewatch it in it's entirety.

quickccc

Reaction score
Best “ Jump-scare scenes “ in horror movies: (my favs on my listing)

Lights Out ( several dark corners jump scenes)

The Conjuring (clapping hands, demon top of dresser)

Carrie ( Carrie’s hand out of grave)

Jaws (Gardner’s bald head falling out of boat hull hole)

Blacula (vampire running out of coroner’s office)

Dawn of Dead 1978 (zombie chews on wife )

Sixth Sense (hand of poison dead-ghost grabs foot from under the bed)

Exorcist 3 ( white figure sneaking up on nurse from behind in hospital)

Seven - (presumed skinned dead victim suddenly jumps up from bed)

Salem’s Lot - (David Soul meets Slowly Rising bed sheet from coroner’s office)

The Pit and the Pendulum ( bucked wide eyes at end)

Arachnidphobia ( basement final fight)

Count Yorga (Count slow motion running at victims at stairwell)

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Best “ Jump-scare scenes “ in horror movies: (my favs on my listing)

Jaws (Gardner’s bald head falling out of boat hull hole)

Dawn of Dead 1978 (zombie chews on wife )

Yep, the "head" scene in Jaws was incredible... I screamed as loud as Hooper did!

My jaw was till on the floor during the zombie husband chewing on his wife sequence due to Wooly blowing the guys head off with the shotgun– That scene hit a "10" on the stunning scale. I had never seen anything like that in any movie before (as I'm sure was the same story with everyone else watching that movie back then). The gore in that movie was a game-changer.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Physco
Paranormal Activity
SAW
The Cabin In The
A Nightmare On Elm Street
The Exorcist
The Conjuring
Silence Of The Lambs
The Shining