Your Favorite One Hit Wonder Song

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I had my first Top 40 station when it came out and I liked it because it stood out among all the stuff I couldn't stand. When you manage a radio station that has a format you don't like, you have to find pearls.

This song also did the same for me and turned me onto this artist and I still dig them and this is one of my all time videos.

Well that was different.......not in a bad way.......just different. I think this would grow on me if I still did drugs.

rags747

Reaction score
I think it was Elvis Costello who said something like... you've got all your life to write your first album and six months to write your next one.
Which is pretty much why I think bands usually put out their absolute best stuff in their 20's and then they tend to not be as good or totally change their sound.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Which is pretty much why I think bands usually put out their absolute best stuff in their 20's and then they tend to not be as good or totally change their sound.
And that can work for a band as well as it did for Tommy James.

The band that really pissed me off for changing their approach and starting to do "songs that sell" was Chicago with their wus songs. Man, I wasn't a big horns guy until I heard them on CTA and their follow up albums, what a great blending and the creativity just oozed form the grooves.

But just one change in a member can completely alter the sound like subtract Tom Johnston from the Doobies, one of my top 10 bands, and add Michael McDonald and it was a different band.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't remember it being in Rocky but it was in the late 80s Stallone movie "Lock Up".
It wasn't in Rocky but listen to the theme Conti wrote and then this song and the influence is apparent. That's not a slam against him but the fact that song took root in his mind and that's a compliment to The Ides of March.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
It wasn't in Rocky but listen to the theme Conti wrote and then this song and the influence is apparent. That's not a slam against him but the fact that song took root in his mind and that's a compliment to The Ides of March.

Gotcha, thank you.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I watched a show on AXS TV the other day that was on this very topic. The top one hit wonder they came up with was Spirit in the Sky by Norman Greenbaum. Pretty good choice.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I watched a show on AXS TV the other day that was on this very topic. The top one hit wonder they came up with was Spirit in the Sky by Norman Greenbaum. Pretty good choice.
I personally hate that song, but I can't argue about its popularity.