Your Favorite One Hit Wonder Song

blindzebra

Reaction score
Makes you wonder why someone can have a great song or two and go poof. Seems most of these go from late 1950's thru 1970 and then a big bunch in the early to mid 1980's. If I had to make a guess I'd say it was radio play in the early days and then videos in the 80's that made any catchy tune a hit, but when they had to tour to really make it they would fizzle. I have always judged a singer or a band by how good (like the record) they sound live. I think that is why I find 99% of today's music sucks, it is all auto-tuned and lip syncing live, most of these people can't carry a tune in a bucket.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Makes you wonder why someone can have a great song or two and go poof. Seems most of these go from late 1950's thru 1970 and then a big bunch in the early to mid 1980's. If I had to make a guess I'd say it was radio play in the early days and then videos in the 80's that made any catchy tune a hit, but when they had to tour to really make it they would fizzle. I have always judged a singer or a band by how good (like the record) they sound live. I think that is why I find 99% of today's music sucks, it is all auto-tuned and lip syncing live, most of these people can't carry a tune in a bucket.
I think it was Elvis Costello who said something like... you've got all your life to write your first album and six months to write your next one.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Think you hit it on the head.

The UK was far ahead of the US when it came to making music videos so when MTV launched the UK bands were ready and the US bands had to play catch-up. The result was a great many one-hit wonders.

In addition I just think it's darned difficult to make one hit record, not to mention two hit records. As someone else pointed out the timeframe shortens radically from the first album to album number 2. Not to mention all the new distractions that come with having a hit record.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This was a hit? I don't remember ever hearing it.
I had my first Top 40 station when it came out and I liked it because it stood out among all the stuff I couldn't stand. When you manage a radio station that has a format you don't like, you have to find pearls.

This song also did the same for me and turned me onto this artist and I still dig them and this is one of my all time videos.