Your Hate Picks at 19

okstateCowboy

Reaction score
Didn't play a lot of high level competition so he's both hard to judge and not ready at the same time. There's a monster of a difference between getting around a stiff and getting around an NFL quality blocker.

Boise State is far from FCS. There have been good NFL players from there... D Lawrence, Scandrick, T Crawford, Ajayi, Doug Martin

cnuball21

Reaction score
Didn't play a lot of high level competition so he's both hard to judge and not ready at the same time. There's a monster of a difference between getting around a stiff and getting around an NFL quality blocker.

It would definitely be more of an upside as we only have one monster season to go off, but there aren't any athleticism red flags as the dude is a SPARQ monster.

I can get behind the pick due to the lack of quality LB's outside the top 50 and how the deep the draft is at other positions of need (OG, WR).

1 - LVE
2 - Washington (WR) / Chark (WR) / Gallup (WR)
3 - Smith (OG) / Corbett (G)

Or throw in a DT in there in rounds 2 or 3.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
There is a chance that LVE and Sutton could be the Cowboys first and second round picks.
giphy.gif

Cap12

Reaction score
mine:
Any WR not named Ridley (wouldn’t love Ridley but wouldn’t hate it)
Any OT (moving Collins is a no for me)
Taven Bryan
Any WR period, but I'd throw the remote if they drafted Sutton at 19.

Tristan

Reaction score
I don’t understand the hate for LVE. Is it because he’s white or went to a small school? Only started one year? I don’t know if he will be any good but he’s one of the best athletes at a position of great need. Great size and can play all LB positions
Alot of us still cant get over the whole Bobby Carpenter thing, eerily similar in how they rose up the boards late. Bobby was actually a stud at osu but shouldnt have been a high pick. I think LVE is a second or third round pick at best and is getting pushed up because the lb class sux imo.

Tristan

Reaction score
Funny after seeing all these different responses is half of us are going to be pissed one way or another unless we get James or Vea.

After all this if we ended up with any of these guys Id feel kicked in the gut....

LVE please God,NO, Please! Dont do it to me again Jerry!
Taven Bryen meh
Kolton Miller I smell BUST

Would be giddy w..
Ridley
Vea
Hernandez
Wynn
Daniels
Payne
Landry

Would be fine w...
Moore
Sutton
Evans
Davenport

Last edited:

DiResta

Reaction score
Any offensive player that cannot play LG
i really dont want them to move La El again
seriously
leave him the guy did pretty damn good against the best in the league and with some injuries later in the year
like to see them address guard in the 3rd or 4th and have Fleming as swing tackle and Martin backing up guard/center

DiResta

Reaction score
My TV goes out the window if we take Ridley or Kolton Miller.
my hate pick will be a offensive tackle
1 because our tackles are young and very good
2 means they are moving Collins again and he wants to stay at RT plus i dont think he is as good inside against power

Pants

Reaction score
Hate picks @ #19? Anything that ends with: “.....from the university of Alabama.”

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
mine:
Taven Bryan

Vander Esch is dependent on info that is unavailable to fans. Medical and Mental Makeup. He needs to be a guy that has a love for football like Sean Lee in order to overcome a lack of experience and be worth being picked at #19. Physically he has ideal measurables.
6-4
Long Arms
6.88 3-cone which is excellent
4.65 forty
1.56 ten
39.5 vert

If their evaluation of mental makeup and medical for Vander Esch was good, then he might be the perfect pick at #19. If there was ANY issue with medical or mental makeup, then they should not draft him at #19.

Don't draft at #19:

Harold Landry
Sutton
Bryan
Hurst
I'm OK with an OT in general because most OL that can play LT can also play OG. It is better value to get a player with LT ability than a Guard only. Having said that, I would prefer a trade back if they are going to draft an OL this year considering the available players.

I'm undecided on the LB Evans. He looks like a safe pick but the upside might be limited. He refused to run a forty which is a red flag. Even if his speed is OK, there is a mental makeup question about a healthy player not running the forty.

ghst187

Reaction score
mine:
Taven Bryan

Agree with the above and will add that the picks I hate at 19:
Anyone not on the list in my sig below that could realistically be available at 19 or picks a bit above
Also, I’d prefer to trade up for any top tier talents like Vea or Edmunds rather than trade down and get two meh guys, one of which probably won’t make the team anyway.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
my hate pick will be a offensive tackle
1 because our tackles are young and very good
2 means they are moving Collins again and he wants to stay at RT plus i dont think he is as good inside against power

Very very few quality LTs can't play OG at a high level. They can draft a LT and play him at OG. If an injury occurs then he moves to OT, if not he stays at OG. Flozell even at almost 6-8 played OG as a rookie. A healthy Tyron Smith could be a Pro Bowl Guard.

Tyron's back is a huge concern. He has missed 3 games each of the last 2 years and was not great in a couple of games where he played through injury. The reports this offseason were worded in a way that implied they considered surgery but decided he could manage without it. That is often the players decision and I'm sure Tyron would do anything to avoid surgery.

DFWJC

Reaction score
specific issues:
Ridley: Possibly a slot only. Likely maxed out at Bama for size/strength yet tests poorly in those areas.
Sutton: Too raw, will need a couple years. I see him as a round 2/3 guy with tons of upside but also some real bust potential.
Moore: Team was so bad that his film is hard to grade for me. Feels like Dez Bryant 2017 to me not DB 2014.
LVE: 1 year guy with some injury concerns. Plays tall which makes him very blockable at times. When he has good technique can waylay dudes.
Evans: Not very big. Safety plus type like Sean Lee which may mean he struggles physically to stay on the field long term.

in general:
i don't like paying guys who've never had money big money then thinking they'll all of a sudden love football. draft gym rats.
beware big schools. name recognition causes guys to rise. i'd never ignore those guys because they produce tons of talent but i would be aware of that fact when grading prospects.
i like guys who can do "something" for you now but have upside. at wr i might like christian kirk more than others as i see him as a plus returner day 1 who can grow into a real receiving threat.see tyreek hill.
i'm also not as worried about a guy only running 3-4 routes well provided i can use those 3-4 routes in my offense day 1. i need enough to get him on the field then i can help him grow from there but he's gotta be able to play snaps day 1.
i'd always consider the bpa but immediately ask myself what is his role on the team. if he has no role i would move down til i either selected best player for me or traded down.
i dont need 10 draft picks. i can move around to end up with more top 150 guys then add a few UDFA at position I ran short of much easier than I can fit 10 rookies onto a roster. i don't need to select 6th/7th round picks for some other team....
Bama players rarely max out for strength or speed.
There's exceptions, of course, but year after year they have guys that dont test as well at the combine as they play on the field.
They draft many of the best players and have great coaching
But the program isnt know as much for being a Sparq factory.

Ridley even said he never even trained once at Bama for things like the long jump, etc
He claims he could massively improve on things like that if it expected of him. Hes a bit of workaholic, so I don't doubt it.
He ran a lot of routes..appears to be ripped,but slight (kind of like Ocho Cinco or M Harrison) caught a lot of balls and did some lighter strength training while staying flexible.

Btw, that doesnt mean I dont like Moore.
I do.
I just think the board is a bit rough of Ridley.
Dude could get 100 inches more open via route-running and a people are worrying about a few extra inches in a vertical jump.
Like Antonio Brown does