CZ POLL Your Opinion Of Jerry Jones As Owner And GM

How do you define Jerry Jones as both an owner and general manager?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I was going to say, good owner, bad GM, however, the more I think about it the less I feel that is the case.

Too many times he puts profits over winning, the stadium is the best example of this. Dallas has won 52% of their road games since 2009 and only 56% of their home games. The stadium is a work of art that gives this team little to no edge.

His coaching hires have put his own comfort level about excellence, Campo, Wade and JG all fit that mold. The one time he brought in a great coach he undermined BP with guys like TO.

He has done some good things like holding onto Will Clay, but a lot of his moves are overridden by his glaring mistakes.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I love how some folks act like Jerry is two different people. :muttley:

yimyammer

Reaction score
I'd rather be adding money to the bottom line by Lombardi's to the trophy case.

You think NE's worth is due to Bob Kraft's business acumen or all those championships they have won the last 20 years?

Bingo, jeri has been getting away with bloody murder the last 25 years due to the 3 Super Bowl wins of the 90's and hasn't done squat since. If they could find a way to put winning football above all else and actually win Super Bowls again, the team would be even more valuable, popular etc

jeri is leaving money on the table doing things his way

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
JJ is a great business man and has done a lot for the league in his tenure as an owner-- and I actually like the guy as a human being. The Jones family is philanthropic and generous and you hear people that work for them rave about them-- even when they are no longer employed. Therefore-- good owner.

But-- definitely a bad GM. His performance is erratic. He makes knee jerk decisions sometimes, at other times, he stands pat and takes no action for far too long. He is loyal to a fault and has made some questionable decisions when it comes to trades, player contracts, and draft calls. He has a legendary ego and that has gotten him into some trouble as well. If he would replace himself as GM with a non-nonsense football operations guy, he would balance out the top of the organization with an entrepreneur/visionary paired with an implementer/executer.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
If your barometer is winning, then there is no logical choice but bad/bad.

We haven't been to an NFC championship, much less a super bowl, in nearly a quarter century. Calling Jerry good in any football context is absurd if your measure of success is success on the field. If having a great stadium and lots of prime time games - relevance - is your idea of "good", then you got it. You just don't get any Lombardis.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Anyone choosing/saying anything other than bad owner/bad gm is exposing themselves

You cant be a good owner and continue employ one of the worst GM in sports
THIS is Jerry's greatest accomplishment. He has MILLIONS of us in a state of hypnosis....THIS is why he is in the HOF. He has hypnotized us into thinking he is a good owner. And its not just us....he was inducted into the HOF....and all that has done is caused him to double down in believing he is a football man that is qualified to put together a quality coaching staff and a quality on field product!

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
This team has not been relevant for over two decades so just stop pretending and fooling yourselves. Yes I will give you Jerry has a formula for being ~.500 we are no longer in the Dave Campo era where 5 wins seemed like an accomplishment.
Jerry is happy if we go 7-9 to 9-7 that means we will be tantalizing enough to be talked about every week. Reporters will ask him about firing coaches, his face will be plastered on Fox NFL Sunday and two Sunday night games. Their week 17 game will get flexed because they will be fighting for a playoff spot.
Winning does not mean anything to Jerry. Judge a person by their actions not by what they say.
What has Jerry done to make you believe he cares about winning as his top priority? The Cowboys could do zero marketing, zero promotion and still make more money than almost any team in the league. The Star & reputation was built because
of
Playing in 8 of the first 30 Super Bowls.
21 consecuitive .500 and above seasons 1965-1985
Staubach, Dorsett, Doomsday, Landry ... to JJ, Triplets, memorable games..
Ice bowl, Steeler SB's, 5 SB appearances in the 70's, the Catch, Herschel, Jerry buying the team, Jimmy Johnson turning the league on its ear, coming back to prominence in the 90's.

What have we done since all of the above?
Losing to Arizona in 1998
Losing to Seattle, Giants, Vikings, Packers twice?

The Cowboys have not been to a championship game since the 1995 season. Let that sink in for a minute. We are an organization of mediocrity
This x 1000. THIS is the truth. Just go LISTEN to his own words when he was not allowed to draft Johnny Manzel. Out of his own mouth he agonized about how popular/relevant for the next 10 years we would have been had we drafted him. And he said this AFTER Zach Martin made ALL PRO as a ROOKIE. This was AFTER it was evident Manzel could not play AND was a problem off the field. Jerry has told us MANY times what is important to him...yet there are STILL people who thinks he wants to win!

visionary

Reaction score
Im one of the very few that loves jerry as an owner and gm

the only bad thing about him is his willingness not to fire Jason Garrett that is downright unacceptable

the other mistakes hes made as a GM i can live with because i know he wants to win he’s extremely stubborn but thats just who he is what can you do

thank you for this answer
There are always a few people in every class who answer even the easiest question wrong

Classmates like you helped make I graded well on the curve

:facepalm:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
How can you be a good owner and hire Jerry as GM, then hire Jason Garrett as HC? How does that make Jerry a good owner?
Yep

If he’d get out of his own way he could be a great owner. But his ego won’t let him.

Well said Bob and why he’s neither.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Can the THREE (3) people who voted him as a Good Owner/Good GM identity themselves?
There are still some fans who provide Jerry a pass for life cause of the early success with Jimmy.

The fact Jerry has 3 Rings prevents him from the being the Core target or Root of the evil to all fans.

Many of us ole local diehards believe without the early success he would have already been run out of town.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This has been truly fascinating. Many thanks to everyone who has voted or will vote later.

I introduced this earlier but it never gained any traction. I will re-introduce it into discussion by phrasing it differently:

The Pro Football Hall of Fame's Board of Selectors put Jerry Jones into the Hall essentially on his merits as an owner and not as a general manager. Does anyone agree with their judgment? Disagree? Or believe they got it completely wrong because of some other reason?

efh313

Reaction score
This has been truly fascinating. Many thanks to everyone who has voted or will vote later.

I introduced this earlier but it never gained any traction. I will re-introduce it into discussion by phrasing it differently:

The Pro Football Hall of Fame's Board of Selectors put Jerry Jones into the Hall essentially on his merits as an owner and not as a general manager. Does anyone agree with their judgment? Disagree? Or believe they got it completely wrong because of some other reason?
JJ is without a doubt a hall of fame owner. He should have fired GM Jerry a looooong time ago.
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.