Your reasons why you think TO would or wouldn't work for Dallas in 2006?

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Not if you are for or against it. Just honestly, do you think TO would work with Dallas? Drop your memories of him stomping on the star, drop the inflammatory ten second sound bites that ESPN shows the world, and think of TO as the football player, and the realities of his situation now that he's getting older.

I think it would work, and here's why:

TO didn't cause any problems his first year in Philly.

He didn't cause any problems in his early years in San Fran.

The reason? No contract disputes!

Is TO a jerk? Yes. Is TO a narcissist? You betcha! (As well as a lot of players I might add.)

But... Is he a good football player who is still a team player? Yes. He blocks with the best of 'em, he plays hurt, he goes up the middle, he has fire on the sidelines and encourages the fans to cheer.

I think TO could work the same way Keyshawn worked. The same crap that happened to TO also happened to Keyshawn, only he got into it with his coach instead of his QB. Some of you who are on TO because of his behavior towards McNabb seem to forget how much of a punk Key was to Jon Gruden. I would even go so far as to say that acting that way towards your coach is a hell of a lot worse than doing it to a player, even if it is the QB.

Here's the thing, TO probably realizes this is his last big contract ever. Just like Key. JJT even wrote in one of his recent articles that our receivers are underpaid. Yet, you don't hear anything from Key. Key realizes this is the end. TO does too. You give TO a satisfying contract and he'll play his heart out for the rest of his career. You're not going to see a 36 year old receiver demand more money. AND... even if you don't give him much of a signing bonus contract because the market doesn't demand it, he will shut up for at least one year so that he can get the contract he lost out on in Philly.

For at least one year, I don't see how you can lose with TO. The only thing that could possibly set him off would be the team falling apart and losing, and in that case, you have a hell of a lot more to worry about than your spoiled franchise receiver. Parcells is probably out of here too if that happens. TO is the least of our worries.

I know the memory of the star stompin' hurts, but you will not find a franchise receiver like this in free agency. You will not find him this cheap. And you will not find a more ideal situation to get a problem child. Key has to be one of the most predictable receivers in the NFL because he's so slow, and only slower with age. You won't get anything other than a quick curl or out route and see him try to out-muscle his defender. If defenses are worried about Glenn, they put another man on him, get a little physical, and he usually disappears. The Cowboys need a receiver like TO if they are really going for it all next year. Just my two cents.

1fisher

Reaction score
blah, blah, blah.......... here we go agian for the 139th time......... TO = :ralph: :ralph:

:D

jack2

Reaction score
He's an ***!, i usually prefer to like my football heroes, it's kinda hard to root for someone u dislike even if he's on ur team! Just say NO!

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
1fisher said:
blah, blah, blah.......... here we go agian for the 139th time......... TO = :ralph: :ralph:

:D
:hammer:

http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v316/Yeagermeister/GoEnglish_com_BeatADeadHorse.gif

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
I said "Yes" - that TO would work out in Dallas in 2006 - because he has worked out in his first year with other teams in the past. 2006 would effectively be his first year in Dallas. But if we do get him, it's post-2006 that I'm more worried about. The question shouldn't be "Can TO work out in 2006?", it should be "Can TO work out - long term - bryond 2006?". That I'm not so sure of.

DBoys

Reaction score
I have no idea to be honest. If it can be done my money is on Tuna. Good news is we will find out Friday. Jerruh will be fast on the players we want just like last year.

ravidubey

Reaction score
Of course he would work. Dallas doesn't have $100 million tied up in one player like Philly does and can thus afford to pay T.O. News flash: All TO wants is to win, be a major contributer to winning, and to be paid what he's worth.

SF stopped throwing him the ball and Philly didn't pay him what he was worth-- ergo problems. Never once did T.O. hold out of a practice (of his own accord) or give less than 110% in games.

Football is a team sport, and the notion of the $100 million franchise QB will IMO soon become extinct. No team has won the Superbowl since paying its QB that kind of money. Teams that pay out that kind of money to one or two players help create a class hierarchy in the locker room. Things fall apart when those players (COUGH)KearseandMcNabb(COUGH) don't perform.

juice28

Reaction score
Will he work out in 2006?YES. Past 2006? NO. Why? The man is just plumb crazy. He'll do his show and dance to improve his image the first year. After that, he's like your spouse after marriage.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
short, incentive laden contract would work:
* Tuna
* NFC East motivation - show up Donny/Eagles
* $ Last chance motivation - last chance to hop on the money train.
* we're a legitimate superbowl contender (imho same shot as anyone in NFC)
* few options - most contenders don't want him / can't handle him
* if you saw him on Punk'd it showed a different side of him
* endorsement $$$ / big stage motivation - dallas is "america's team" unlike ATL with no real national endorsement person. opens doors to other revenues.

now, there are only a few clubs that could handle TO but we're DEFINATELY one of them. when Tuna steps down TO leaves the next year if he acts up. Not a biggie.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
You folks that are voting no still aren't giving any good reasons yet except that ya don't like the guy. I want to hear how you're sure he'll end up like he did with the Eagles.

juice28

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
You folks that are voting no still aren't giving any good reasons yet except that ya don't like the guy. I want to hear how you're sure he'll end up like he did with the Eagles.

I voted yes, but I have plenty of reasons that he will not work too much longer after 2006. But first let me ask T.O. dreamers this: Do you actually think T.O will retire in Big D? And if not, do you actually think he's going to leave this organization quietly?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:

He did the same in San Fran he calls out his QB to the media he did it with Garcia and he did it with McNabb. TO can't keep his mouth shut he feels the need to air out the dirty laundry to the media. We don't need that type of crud going on in Dallas. TO is all about TO and does not give a rats ars about anyone or anything and as long as Football is a TEAM sport Dallas does not need him.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
juice28 said:
I voted yes, but I have plenty of reasons that he will not work too much longer after 2006. But first let me ask T.O. dreamers this: Do you actually think T.O will retire in Big D? And if not, do you actually think he's going to leave this organization quietly?

I can't answer that. Like my first post, all I can guarantee is 2006 will be quiet. That's why I asked only about 2006 in the poll. TO is going to shut up for one year if for no other reason than to get one more big contract, or prove all his naysayers wrong. After that it's anybody's guess but I think the Cowboys need to approach the offseason with a win now mentality with older players like Bledsoe, Glenn, Key, Allen, Rivera making up most of the key positions on the offense, and barely and promising young backups in the wings to replace them.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
He did the same in San Fran he calls out his QB to the media he did it with Garcia and he did it with McNabb. TO can't keep his mouth shut he feels the need to air out the dirty laundry to the media. We don't need that type of crud going on in Dallas. TO is all about TO and does not give a rats ars about anyone or anything and as long as Football is a TEAM sport Dallas does not need him.

I won't disagree with ya, but like I said, for just one year, I think it would work. After that, we may see a return to his old patterns.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:

TO will not be happy unless he's getting 80% of the throws and winning all the time. In Dallas, we will be doing neither. It's not about money, per say. Don't get me wrong, when he isn't getting what he wants, then it's made to be about money but it's really about other things. This player is self centered to the point of inbalance. It doesn't matter what you do, it will never be right because he is not right. Eventually, it will end up breaking downt he team chemistry. I will also go on record right now as saying that Owens will never come for a short, incentive based contract. He will demand a large signing bonus and want at least 5 years. Signing this player is a mistake IMO.

juice28

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
I can't answer that. Like my first post, all I can guarantee is 2006 will be quiet. That's why I asked only about 2006 in the poll. TO is going to shut up for one year if for no other reason than to get one more big contract, or prove all his naysayers wrong. After that it's anybody's guess but I think the Cowboys need to approach the offseason with a win now mentality with older players like Bledsoe, Glenn, Key, Allen, Rivera making up most of the key positions on the offense, and barely and promising young backups in the wings to replace them.

O.K. then. We're speaking the same language. IF we get T.O., I want to go on record for saying he will be the hands down best reciever in the league. But I also guarantee that the first minute something goes wrong, T.O. goes with it.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TruBlueCowboy
You folks that are voting no still aren't giving any good reasons yet except that ya don't like the guy. I want to hear how you're sure he'll end up like he did with the Eagles

Look back at any of the other 3 billion threads about this and you'll see our reasons.

TonyS

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
TO will not be happy unless he's getting 80% of the throws and winning all the time. In Dallas, we will be doing neither. It's not about money, per say. Don't get me wrong, when he isn't getting what he wants, then it's made to be about money but it's really about other things. This player is self centered to the point of inbalance. It doesn't matter what you do, it will never be right because he is not right. Eventually, it will end up breaking downt he team chemistry. I will also go on record right now as saying that Owens will never come for a short, incentive based contract. He will demand a large signing bonus and want at least 5 years. Signing this player is a mistake IMO.

Spot on. TO will be happy....until he isn't and then he will tell the world about it. He's done it EVERY TIME.

"Coach Parcells called me Leon once and now I want a huge contract or I want out. And Drew, he never throws me the ball. I'm a team player, but I can't stand people calling me names and not throwing me the ball. I deserve respect." [Insert sound of Cowboys 2006-2007 seasons blowing up.]

If anyone believes we can win w/out TO, why would you take the chance that he would implode the team like he has a history of doing???