Your reasons why you think TO would or wouldn't work for Dallas in 2006?

slick325

Reaction score
Won't work because he and Keyshawn couldn't co-exist. Key sees himself as equal to T.O. talentwise and would never accept a role as the 3rd best WR on this roster.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
slick325 said:
Won't work because he and Keyshawn couldn't co-exist. Key sees himself as equal to T.O. talentwise and would never accept a role as the 3rd best WR on this roster.

Hate to say it but I'm going with the assumption that we cut Key if we sign TO.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
I won't disagree with ya, but like I said, for just one year, I think it would work. After that, we may see a return to his old patterns.

As long as things go smooth but you get a bump in the road and TO goes off and he does not just do it behind closed doors he starts running his mouth to any media person who will listen to him and once this garbage gets out the media will see to it that the story does not die down. Even year 1 with the Eagles had him and McNabb with problems or did you forget when McNabb walked away from a complaining TO? A week later the two try and show the media there was no issue both guys started putting on a show on the sideline walking away from each other. TO is just not worth the headache and does not guaranteed that he will get this club to the SB. The risk involved is a split team and TO manage very well to split teams and divided teams normally do not win games.

HDC

Reaction score
TO tears apart the teams he is part of. He destroys unity. Team unity is the crucial element of a Parcells team.

slick325

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Hate to say it but I'm going with the assumption that we cut Key if we sign TO.

If that's the case, it would work but only short term. One year with T.O. and then draft a WR next season in the 1st round. Hopefully the 2007 WR draft class would be better than this years crop.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
juice28 said:
I voted yes, but I have plenty of reasons that he will not work too much longer after 2006. But first let me ask T.O. dreamers this: Do you actually think T.O will retire in Big D? And if not, do you actually think he's going to leave this organization quietly?
who cares?

1fisher

Reaction score
parcells is not known for "airing it out"... how many times the last few years have you seen it? Two or three? He likes to run the ball and you know TO would be in his ear wanting the ball thrown his way. Who are you going to cut if you bring him in?

Keyshawn= no
Glenn = no
Crayton= no
witten= no

You would have to get rid of one of these and I just don't think Parcells does that!

I hope he signs with someone else soon so this madness will stop!:bang2: :bang2:

Zippy Speedster

Reaction score
Lets not kid ourselves, whether he comes here or wherever, he's going to be getting a big chunk of change right off the bat.

I think he wants no less then and I think he gets a 5-7 year deal wherever he ends up. $7m range for 2006 with his signing bonus and incentives included. That's my guess atleast.

They'll put yearly termination/escape clauses within the contract. That's how the team signing him will protect themselves. I'd imagine it'd be an option for either party to get out after each year if they wanted.

Owens is prime real estate for any team brave enough to take that chance on him, he's knows it and everyone knows it. It's not going to come cheap. This guy could be the reason for the next super bowl champ. I've totally changed my opinion on this situation, no discounts coming for whomever. TO won't get what he's actually worth, but he'll get a helluva lot more then most think he's worth, and it'll be in the upper echelon of WRs paid.

- - -

As for the actual question---YES I do think he would work out here in Dallas. One of only a small handful of teams I could actually see him working out on. The guy is like Parcells in one aspect, each at this one point in their career where the only place they really want to perform is on the "BIG STAGE". The Home of the Star is the biggest stage of them all as far as the NFL goes. Bill knows this, that's one of the reasons why he came here, and so far been happier then he's seemed in years while coaching. I think TO also already knows this to. For all intents and purposes, his coming out party was the disgracing of our star. He already chose us YEARS ago! We're the best. We're the biggest. We're the brightest. He chose us. He's always been on the outside looking in. Think about it, he's not a "goodguy" Jerry Rice, he's a "badguy" Michael Irvin! Last kid picked on the playground (drafted by 49ers). Subbing on the girls team (picked up by the eagles). The guy has always wanted to be a Cowboy--of course he'll work out here!! Your guess is as good as mine.

1fisher

Reaction score
Zippy Speedster said:
Lets not kid ourselves, whether he comes here or wherever, he's going to be getting a big chunk of change right off the bat.

I think he wants no less then and I think he gets a 5-7 year deal wherever he ends up. $7m range for 2006 with his signing bonus and incentives included. That's my guess atleast.

They'll put yearly termination/escape clauses within the contract. That's how the team signing him will protect themselves. I'd imagine it'd be an option for either party to get out after each year if they wanted.

Owens is prime real estate for any team brave enough to take that chance on him, he's knows it and everyone knows it. It's not going to come cheap. This guy could be the reason for the next super bowl champ. I've totally changed my opinion on this situation, no discounts coming for whomever. TO won't get what he's actually worth, but he'll get a helluva lot more then most think he's worth, and it'll be in the upper echelon of WRs paid.

- - -

As for the actual question---YES I do think he would work out here in Dallas. One of only a small handful of teams I could actually see him working out on. The guy is like Parcells in one aspect, each at this one point in their career where the only place they really want to perform is on the "BIG STAGE". The Home of the Star is the biggest stage of them all as far as the NFL goes. Bill knows this, that's one of the reasons why he came here, and so far been happier then he's seemed in years while coaching. I think TO also already knows this to. For all intents and purposes, his coming out party was the disgracing of our star. He already chose us YEARS ago! We're the best. We're the biggest. We're the brightest. He chose us. He's always been on the outside looking in. Think about it, he's not a "goodguy" Jerry Rice, he's a "badguy" Michael Irvin! Last kid picked on the playground (drafted by 49ers). Subbing on the girls team (picked up by the eagles). The guy has always wanted to be a Cowboy--of course he'll work out here!! Your guess is as good as mine.

How do you know "he's always wanted to be a Cowboy"? He could have danced on the star because he hates everything about the Cowboys?????? Folks need to take the blinders off! TO = BAD NEWS!

Champsheart

Reaction score
Honestly in this whole T.O. discussion I do not think there is a right or wrong answer.

Everything everyone is saying who wants and does not want T.O. are correct IMO.

I dont think there is any question his talent would help this team take it to a new level.

On the other hand how can you not be concerned about the selfish display and attitude he is put on in the past.

Would he be different? Can Parcells and JJ make the difference?

The only way to find out would be if he became a Cowboy.

The question is are you willing to take a chance?

I would say I am, if T.O. has any chance of changing it would be after all that has recently happened, and JJ and BP may be the ones to help him out.

That diffently is not a guarantee though.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
I can't answer that. Like my first post, all I can guarantee is 2006 will be quiet. That's why I asked only about 2006 in the poll. TO is going to shut up for one year if for no other reason than to get one more big contract, or prove all his naysayers wrong. After that it's anybody's guess but I think the Cowboys need to approach the offseason with a win now mentality with older players like Bledsoe, Glenn, Key, Allen, Rivera making up most of the key positions on the offense, and barely and promising young backups in the wings to replace them.

He is an idiot, but he is also a businessman. There is no way he acts up this season. If he does, he could kiss his career goodbye.

slick325

Reaction score
1fisher said:
parcells is not known for "airing it out"... how many times the last few years have you seen it? Two or three? He likes to run the ball and you know TO would be in his ear wanting the ball thrown his way. Who are you going to cut if you bring him in?

Keyshawn= no
Glenn = no
Crayton= no
witten= no

You would have to get rid of one of these and I just don't think Parcells does that!

I hope he signs with someone else soon so this madness will stop!:bang2: :bang2:

Actually, Parcells "aired it out" with Glenn and Jefferson in New England and got to a Super Bowl. Bledsoe had 4000yds under Parcells one season.

Last season we "aired it out" enough to have an 1100 yard receiver and Key had over 60 receptions. T.O. is much more explosive than any of the wideouts we have on our roster. He can do more with less opportunity than anyone else other than Glenn. All of that to say, if T.O. has 8 balls thrown his way per game and catches 5 he will have more yards and touchdowns than we have seen in Dallas for a long time. Yards after catch is where he makes a living so he needs less opportunities.

We can still be a run heavy offense like we were when Emmitt was here but that doesn't mean a great WR won't make the most of his opportunities. Ask Michael Irvin. His numbers looked pretty good despite playing with the all-time leading rusher who was getting 300 plus carries per season throughout.

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
Yeah, it could work if we can win some games.

10. Bill Parcells
9. incentive contract, where all ifs(Rec, yards, TDs, Super bowl, pro bowl), if met make him the richest WR in the game.
8. He's the best in the game.
7. We need a GREAT WR, not just good ones.
6. Jerry Jones, he'll stroke TOs ego, just like Deion's.
5. DREW BLEDSOE, he is the QB TOs been looking for. He can put the ball ON him. Not just in the area.
4. BIG STAGE, just like TO likes.
3. :starspin TO can stand on it everytime he scores.
2. He needs us as much as we need him.

And the #1 reason..........

Every Dallas fan will love him regardless of what he has done in the past if he puts up the numbers and helps us win a superbowl.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Every Dallas fan will love him regardless of what he has done in the past if he puts up the numbers and helps us win a superbowl.

Don't lump every fan in to that. I will love we won a SB but still hate TO just like I did Deion.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
EveryoneElse said:
Yeah, it could work if we can win some games.

10. Bill Parcells
9. incentive contract, where all ifs(Rec, yards, TDs, Super bowl, pro bowl), if met make him the richest WR in the game.
8. He's the best in the game.
7. We need a GREAT WR, not just good ones.
6. Jerry Jones, he'll stroke TOs ego, just like Deion's.
5. DREW BLEDSOE, he is the QB TOs been looking for. He can put the ball ON him. Not just in the area.
4. BIG STAGE, just like TO likes.
3. :starspin TO can stand on it everytime he scores.
2. He needs us as much as we need him.

And the #1 reason..........

Those are your reason as for everyone loving him if he puts up good numbers? I don't all of us would feel that way. For a play to work it takes 10 other men doing their job and frankly I'm sick of seeing ars holes like TO acting as if they are the only reason the score took place. This team does not need an 11 year vet who acts like a 5 year old

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
chinch said:
short, incentive laden contract would work

Please quit with the 'incentive laden contract' stuff. That is exactly what would cause a problem, needing to reach specific numbers to attain a certain salary.

And since he wants MORE money, he'll want, no, he'll INSIST, that he gets the ball, and when he doesn't, that's when the dominos start falling....

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
jackrussell said:
Please quit with the 'incentive laden contract' stuff. That is exactly what would cause a problem, needing to reach specific numbers to attain a certain salary.

And since he wants MORE money, he'll want, no, he'll INSIST, that he gets the ball, and when he doesn't, that's when the dominos start falling....
Thank you.....at least a few of us get it

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
Don't lump every fan in to that. I will love we won a SB but still hate TO just like I did Deion.

I'm sure you were cussing at the TV, and beating your dog everytime Deion picked off a pass or returned a punt for a TD. You may not like the guy, but you have to respect the skill and that he is helping your team. I don't like the way BP goes about his business, but I know he is a brilliant football guy and I love that he's on our side.

Theres a difference between the guy and the football player.

slick325

Reaction score
Honestly, I am indifferent towards acquiring T.O. If we get him great, that means Jerry Jones and Coach Parcells feel it would work. As long as he behaves, which could be said about all players I guess, then great. If we don't get him, so be it, you can never miss what you never had.