Your top 5 Greatest Rock & Roll Bands ever

mldardy

Reaction score

It's official. :)

But hey, if NWA is in the R&R Hall of Fame, I don't know what R&R is anymore

Rock and roll is a genre of popular music that originated and evolved in the United States during the late 1940s and early 1950s,[1][2] from combined African-American and European American rooted genres known as gospel music, blues, boogie-woogie, jump blues, jazz,[3] rockabilly, and honky tonk music (which derives from Western swing and country music).

That's what rock and roll is. It's not some people that have a guitar and either scream or sing in the microphone. So NWA has every right to be in the R&R Hall Of Fame. The sooner this sinks in that rock and roll is more than just guitar strumming the sooner you'll understand what rock and roll really is.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rock and roll is a genre of popular music that originated and evolved in the United States during the late 1940s and early 1950s,[1][2] from combined African-American and European American rooted genres known as gospel music, blues, boogie-woogie, jump blues, jazz,[3] rockabilly, and honky tonk music (which derives from Western swing and country music).

That's what rock and roll is. It's not some people that have a guitar and either scream or sing in the microphone. So NWA has every right to be in the R&R Hall Of Fame. The sooner this sinks in that rock and roll is more than just guitar strumming the sooner you'll understand what rock and roll really is.

Agreed.

WhizKid

Reaction score
Probably not the greatest, but the top 5 that I found myself listening to this past month (not in order):

1. The White Stripes
2. The Strokes
3. Bob Marley and the Wailers
4. Sublime
5. Rage Against the Machine

It's hard to narrow a top 5 in bands, so I just go with the most recent.

Phoenix

Reaction score
1. Pink Floyd
2. Fleetwood Mac
3. Boston
4. (early) Genesis
5. Heart

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mission of Burma
Dismemberment Plan
Neil Young and Crazy Horse
Sleater-Kinney
X

RS12

Reaction score
1) Zep
2) Stones
3) Who
4) Cream
5) Skynyrd

Just missed

Hendrix exp
Outlaws
Sabbath
Beattles
Allmans
AC/DC

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Funny man. :)

I like ABBA, more pop than rock, but they had some good tunes.

But what the heck... Many here think metal is the thing that should be classified as R&R...
hell, hop on out to itunes and request some "rock and roll" and you get about anything but.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Yep, made everybody work harder and get more creative. Lead directly to Sargent Peppers.

Brian Wilson heard Rubber Should and wanted to do an album of all originals, no fillers. If you own any beach boys records you will know there is quite a bit of filler. Brian was already headed down this path with the summer days and summer nights album. He was taking over as the main and only producing voice and California Girls and Help Me Rhonda have the pet sounds/wall of sound ...sound.

Rubber Soul Showed Brian that you can make an album of all originals so he did. When the album was done bruce johnston took it to england for a debut for the record companies and as the story goes Mcartney and lennon were there and they made them listen to it a second time. The beatles were in the middle of making Revolver and supposedly Here, There and Everywhere was made after listening to pet sounds and God Only Knows which Mcartney loves.

After Pet Sounds and Revolver both went back into the studio...well Brian never left and I guess neither did the Beatles but it was a race to put out the next album before the Beatles for Brian Wilson....The Beatles beat him to it and put out Sgt. Peppers. It is influenced by it and they have all said it was an attempt to equal pet sounds. Sgt. Peppers has a lot of influences though.

Either way its such a great story and I will take Good Vibrations as the best of the bunch!

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Yep. And their ability to change "gears" in the type of music they played in the later 60's was eye-opening.

Right or wrong, my theory is that most people associate them with one particular sound from their early work.

That said, the Beach Boys music catalog is phenomenal.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right or wrong, my theory is that most people associate them with one particular sound from their early work.

That said, the Beach Boys music catalog is phenomenal.

Oh no question that most due associate them with "surfer" music (which is still rock & roll) and yes their music catalog is amazing.