Your top 5 Greatest Rock & Roll Bands ever

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's it exactly.

It's not there aren't very good bands still out there making great music, it's just 20 years from now no one will be talking about the lasting effect any of them made. Beatles, Rolling Stones, Led Zep, AC/DC, Van Halen, Kiss, Beach Boys, The Eagles, 3 Dog Night... those folks will still be talked about 20 years from now.
All the bands on my list have several good albums. My goodness I could name at least 10 bands that I had 8-10 or many more albums back in the day. Most were around 30 or more years. Other than 3 bands I can't think of any more that I have bought more than 3 or 4 of their CD's in the last 15 years. It doesn't mean they aren't good. But they aren't going to make a top 5 greatest bands ever list.

TX_Yid

Reaction score
  1. The Beatles
  2. The Doors
  3. The Rolling Stones
  4. Queen
  5. Guns n Roses

Difficult to leave Pink Floyd and AC/DC off a list like this

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rolling Stones
The Faces
The Georgia Satellites
The Black Crowes
Nine Pound Hammer

NickZepp

Reaction score
Led Zeppelin
Rush
Alice in Chains
Pink Floyd
Beatles

Queen, Stones, Soundgarden, AC/DC, and Cream would be the next 5.

NickZepp

Reaction score
Hard to believe there is so little love for ZZ Topp on this thread. Who doesnt love Jesus just left Chicago?
ZZ Top is in my top 15-20 but top 5/10 is just so hard to get into for me. ZZ Tops got a solid library though. La Grange, Mexican Blackbird, Just Got Paid, Stages, Legs, Pearl Necklace, Sharp Dressed Man, Tush all great songs.

NickZepp

Reaction score
Beatles
Rolling Stones
Early Fleetwood Mac (without the silly Stevie Nicks)
Led Zeppelin
Beach Boys (post macho car and surf silliness)

I even love early Beach Boys too it is dated but still fun pop stuff. But Brian Wilson was amazing after he started hearing voices. Pet Sounds, Smiley Smile and Sunflower were all good albums. But Brian Wilson came back in full force in the late 70s for the Beach Boys Love You album. It's more of a lost classic now but you gotta listen to it if you are a fan of em.

RS12

Reaction score
Stones
Led Zep
Deep Purple
Alice Cooper Group
Yes

Yeah, Deep Purple was great with Gillam and Blackmore. Strange kind of woman one of my faves, Blackmore was great on this one.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I even love early Beach Boys too it is dated but still fun pop stuff. But Brian Wilson was amazing after he started hearing voices. Pet Sounds, Smiley Smile and Sunflower were all good albums. But Brian Wilson came back in full force in the late 70s for the Beach Boys Love You album. It's more of a lost classic now but you gotta listen to it if you are a fan of em.

I too really enjoy the early Beach Boy's work.

For those that condemn it, you have to put it into context of '62-'65 and those early Beach Boys albums fit that era to a T. Heck they took California living and created hit song after hit song out of it... We didn't get that many hit songs about living in Florida or in the North East!

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Big fan of Wilson, mate!
Blimey, his "Brian Wilson" album (1988) is superb with "Love and Mercy" (asking and trying for redemption) and "Rio Grande" (forlorn and ghostly in tone).
He's tortured, alright, but has made us think hard about life, bloke, that is once he and the Beatles heard each other and emulated each other as far as studio wizardry and verse.
Early Beach Boys is joyous and bouncy, but shallow. But at that age that is what life is.:)

NickZepp

Reaction score
A movie came out earlier this year called Love and Mercy about Brian Wilson's early career and late 80s-90s recovery period. It's a good film. But Brian Wilson was hearing voices and suffering from Bi-polar during his most productive part of his musical career.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yes
Zeppelin
Bad Company
Aerosmith
Allman Brothers

And..... because I don't follow directions well:

Pink Floyd
Finally an Allman Brothers top 5 and first Yes I've seen. With Zep and Floyd . 4 of my top 5.

I grew up in a time when I saw them all live in the 70's. Great era to grow up with Rock.

Last edited: