Zach Martin vs Larry Allen, who you got!

kskboys

Reaction score
How exactly would Martin NOT be considered in this conversation? Can any of you, other than decades of built in legacy, show me the accolades that Larry has that martin doesn't?

Zack Martin is 14th all time in terms of all-pros

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/all_pros_first_team_career.htm

Martin is there with greats like Rice, Reggie White, Aaron Donald, Lawrence Taylor.

Some of you are seriously downplaying how great of a talent Martin is - this is like the opposite recency bias. It's essentially "No current players can match the play of titans of the past".
I don't go by accolades.

I actually see the opposite. For some reason you're downplaying how good Larry Allen was.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I don't go by accolades.

I actually see the opposite. For some reason you're downplaying how good Larry Allen was.
I haven't downplayed Larry Allen at all, he's one of the best to ever do it. Martin is as well.

Martin and Donald will go down as some of the best to ever do it at their position. If you want to think Allen is better, that's fine, but this idea that the gap is astronomical just isn't being argued well from any of you here.

There was a stretch in Martin's prime where he gave up 1 sack out of something like 1,100 snaps and had very few penalties as well. I mean, this is stuff that should be discussed as legendary in it's own right. Allen was a physical freak that beat people with his strength and Martin does it with finesse.

quickccc

Reaction score
At OG , ..Larry Allen's awesome combination of top athleticism, physical tools, raw power, killer mentality, overall talent and level of dominance place him above any other OG in NFL history, ..not just Zack Martin.

So What's next ....... WRs battle with Dez Bryant vs Michael Irvin ?

ErikWilliamsHeadSlap

Reaction score
Forget everything on paper. Just watch them. If you have seen them both play, you know LA was better. Despite his greatness, nobody ever lost sleep over having to face Zach Martin. Players, some of them at the top of their game, preferred to miss the game rather than face Larry. No different than Reggie, LT, Barry, Deion...Mahomes. Some players are just different and you know it when you are watching them.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Are you being intentionally thick?
I ask the same question of you. It is common, verified knowledge that defenders faked injury, sickness, etc., to avoid lining up against LA. I asked a simple question of whether any avoid Martin. You then replied with statement about Guards. ???

Also, it's common knowledge the league has gone softer in the last 30 years. Ie, sure there are some players who could line up against the old guard .... but it's pure conjecture as to whether they could take the beating game in & game out.

SFloridaCowboy

Reaction score
Greatest fear linebackers and defensive backs had when playing the Cowboys when Larry Allen was a starting guard: seeing Larry Allen coming towards them, full steam ahead as a pulling guard on a sweep play to the right.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
If you ever seen Larry play you would already know the answer to your question.

kskboys

Reaction score
I haven't downplayed Larry Allen at all, he's one of the best to ever do it. Martin is as well.

Martin and Donald will go down as some of the best to ever do it at their position. If you want to think Allen is better, that's fine, but this idea that the gap is astronomical just isn't being argued well from any of you here.

There was a stretch in Martin's prime where he gave up 1 sack out of something like 1,100 snaps and had very few penalties as well. I mean, this is stuff that should be discussed as legendary in it's own right. Allen was a physical freak that beat people with his strength and Martin does it with finesse.
And once again, I'd say the gap being much smaller is not being argued well by you.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
This vs battle is going to heat up in here!! Both great players for this team for years. Larry Allen a very powerful man, Martin a powerful man but I think in this age he's more technical in his play. You need a yard on 4th and 1 who are you running behind???
Scary Larry by a bunch!

mattjames2010

Reaction score
And once again, I'd say the gap being much smaller is not being argued well by you.
I'm the only one here who actually argued my point and backed it up with actual accolades and statistics.

But whatever. Old heads gonna be old heads.

gtb1943

Reaction score
There is enough film on Larry Allen to make judgement. Everyone knows he was a special talent....but so is Martin, and I'd argue Martin has had much better competition during his era and he is still THE best guard in the league. 7x first team all-pro and 2x second team all pro. His accolades are right there with Larry Allen's accolades.

There really isn't much to point to that Larry Allen was this astronomically greater guard than Martin. Maybe in terms of strength? But I'd say Martin is a better finesse guard.
So have you watched entire games of LA? No. So you frankly are uninformed on this

gtb1943

Reaction score
I'm the only one here who actually argued my point and backed it up with actual accolades and statistics.

But whatever. Old heads gonna be old heads.
LA is in the HOF and Zach is not. Sort of destroys your claims about accolades does it not?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
LA is in the HOF and Zach is not. Sort of destroys your claims about accolades does it not?
Martin is a surefire HOFer - and it's a stupid standard to hold him to when he's still playing and racking up all-pros lol