Zach Martin vs Larry Allen, who you got!

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
The one hill I'll die on is that LA is the best OL to ever play.

Munoz? No. Matthews? ***.

Sorry Zack, you're fantastic. But LA is a football deity

eromeopolk

Reaction score
This vs battle is going to heat up in here!! Both great players for this team for years. Larry Allen a very powerful man, Martin a powerful man but I think in this age he's more technical in his play. You need a yard on 4th and 1 who are you running behind???
This post is a joke right....Ha Ha! After you pick up 4-5 yards, bring the winner 2 cooked chickens, fries, bake him a cake, and give him a 40-ounce.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Martin is going to the HoF. Yet 99 out of 100 would take Larry Allen. That tells you how great Larry Allen was. He might be on the Mt Rushmore of NFL OLinemen.

Larry Allen.

kskboys

Reaction score
Martin is going to the HoF. Yet 99 out of 100 would take Larry Allen. That tells you how great Larry Allen was. He might be on the Mt Rushmore of NFL OLinemen.

Larry Allen.
I'm going to hv to disagree and say 100 out of 100. Larry is recognized by all as in the conversation of the best of all time. Some may put him in 2nd or 3rd or something, but no one leaves him out of the top 5, unless they're just a Cowboys hater.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I'm going to hv to disagree and say 100 out of 100. Larry is recognized by all as in the conversation of the best of all time. Some may put him in 2nd or 3rd or something, but no one leaves him out of the top 5, unless they're just a Cowboys hater.
There is always a dummy or 2 in the crowd.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
LA and Martin aren't far off. Martin is a generational talent himself at guard.

A lot of old heads in here blinded by nostalgia that LA is untouchable in terms of talent.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Martin could be the 2nd best guard ever and this still isn’t close.

LA is the best Olineman ever.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Us old heads SAW LA play in his prime so frankly we know more than those that never did
There is enough film on Larry Allen to make judgement. Everyone knows he was a special talent....but so is Martin, and I'd argue Martin has had much better competition during his era and he is still THE best guard in the league. 7x first team all-pro and 2x second team all pro. His accolades are right there with Larry Allen's accolades.

There really isn't much to point to that Larry Allen was this astronomically greater guard than Martin. Maybe in terms of strength? But I'd say Martin is a better finesse guard.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Zach is the best OG of his era. Larry is the best OG of all time. Not close.
How exactly would Martin NOT be considered in this conversation? Can any of you, other than decades of built in legacy, show me the accolades that Larry has that martin doesn't?

Zack Martin is 14th all time in terms of all-pros

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/all_pros_first_team_career.htm

Martin is there with greats like Rice, Reggie White, Aaron Donald, Lawrence Taylor.

Some of you are seriously downplaying how great of a talent Martin is - this is like the opposite recency bias. It's essentially "No current players can match the play of titans of the past".

McKDaddy

Reaction score
argue Martin has had much better competition during his era
ok, i don't have any clue why you would come to that conclusion but playing along, how many of them have called in sick rather than play Martin?

Case closed.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
ok, i don't have any clue why you would come to that conclusion but playing along, how many of them have called in sick rather than play Martin?

Case closed.
Why would fellow guards call in sick? I am referring to guards that Martin is in competition with for all-pros.

But your anecdote really doesn't argue my point. The accolades are all right there for Martin. His accolades are comparable to some of the best players of all time at their positions. He even has more all-pros than Allen at this point.

Again, this is a thread for old heads who can't come to terms that a recent player might just be on the level of the player they see on their VHS tapes.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Why would fellow guards call in sick? I am referring to guards that Martin is in competition with for all-pros

But your anecdote really doesn't argue my point. The accolades are all right there for Martin. His accolades are comparable to some of the best players of all time at their positions. He even has more all-pros than Allen at this point.

Again, this is a thread for old heads who can't come to terms that a recent player might just be on the level of the player they see on their VHS tapes.
guards? how many guards line up against Martin? :facepalm:

generally when a person has direct reference of two players entire career they are considered a valid witness.

but feel free to continue trying to pass it off as romantized recollection.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
guards? how many guards line up against Martin? :facepalm:

generally when a person has direct reference of two players entire career they are considered a valid witness.

but feel free to continue trying to pass it off as romantized recollection.
Are you being intentionally thick? He's not in competition with defenders for accolades - Martin has consistently beaten out other guards in the league for first team all pro. He's been an all-pro every single year of his career outside of one due to injury. As I said, Martin did this in an era with much tougher competition at the guard position.

When comparing him to OTHER positions and best players of all time - I already showed you, Martin is right there with the best of the best. He along with Aaron Donald absolutely hold up next to the titans of old. This doesn't diminish what LA accomplished.