Zach Thomas is not a good 3-4 LB

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Zach had his career best season playing in the 3-4 and he's on pace to do even better:zipit:

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
David276;2360462 said:
going to totally dis agree with op he is the first flying to tackles he gets no help from bradie james. ratlff is a beast but needs to be a de in the 3-4 canty and spears are not even solid this year. i will wait to hold off ont hem for a few more weeks since wade is takin over supposedly why the hell does bradie have that head set if your talking about making changes give it to ware, hamlin or THOMAS someone who knows what they are doing .

bradie is not the heart and soul of our defense dware is. bradie is an average ilb he was a thrid round pick so alright . but yeah , with that being said neither him or thomas is getting much help from the d line esp when they are trying to get pressure with 4 dudes. i dont know i keep hearing its about execution and not the scheme. what. ??? putting them in a poor scheme isnt going to put them in any kind of positive position to execute
slkdhfslkfdsakldfh :bang2::bang2::bang2::bang2:

and you wreck on the only player on our d besides ware and hamlin and ratliff who plays with heart and actually knows what the heck hes doing!!!!!!!
that's cause bradie has to take on guards to give little zach a free lane to the ball carrier. Zach has been average at best.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
:laugh2:

Yet another thread that should go in the Juckie's Memorable Posts wing of the Hall of Fame.

David276

Benched
Reaction score
Rampage;2360471 said:
that's cause bradie has to take on guards to give little zach a free lane to the ball carrier. Zach has been average at best.

wait the same bradie james who complained about how he cant do that with any kind of effectiveness when parcells was here?
thats more the d line than bradie or zach. zach has been short of standing out. hes not blowing up plays in the back field like he did earlier in his career but is close to doin so but bradie either just runs straight at a pile just kind of hoping to get in the way. or follows zach. my last rant was a bit much, not trying to personally attack anyone just i really see zach and ware as the only players on the d doing anything

Chuck 54

Reaction score
juckie;2360320 said:
He is too small and gets blown up and swallowed trying to fight off 330 lbers.Wade should switch to more 4-3 to play to these Lbers strengths.Carp played well,yes i said it.

I think the 4-3 fits our down linemen better if we put Ellis and Ware at DE's, but these LBs are of poor quality and I'm not sure it would help them much.

We have a lot of draft choices next year, and I think we should be putting a lot of emphasis on drafting 2-3 LBs to compete with our current crop of bums, along with finding a new SS to replace Roy Williams. I'm guessing we'll also be looking at some more DT types to replace Canty and/or Spears or finding a NT and moving Ratliff to DE.

The front 7 is a weak mess.

On OL, I can see us looking for a couple of huge OG's in the draft or FA and moving Davis to RT.

Greg Ellis and Zach Thomas are killing us at LB, imo.

Phantom

Benched
Reaction score
Zach is too small to play MLB in the 3-4, hes almost to small to play MLB in the 4-3.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Phantom;2360544 said:
Zach is too small to play MLB in the 3-4, hes almost to small to play MLB in the 4-3.
People have been saying that since he was drafted out of Texas Tech.

They were fools.

juck

Reaction score
Rampage;2360471 said:
exactly.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
amarillodoc;2360536 said:
I think Thomas is a HUGE upgrade over Ayodele. He is not the defense's problem.

Just a difference of opinion...I'd trade him for Adele right now from what I've seen. Zach is getting blocked out of the play entirely more times than not...on the Jackson long TD, among others, he was ridden all the way to the sideline. He is also missing a lot of tackles. He has a great reputation, but he hasn't adjusted to the 3-4 yet and has not had any impact from what I've seen. The one thing we were hoping for, leadership, he can't really provide because he's playing as bad as any LB on our team.

Again, I'm no expert, and I don't get to study the film, but most of the times I've noticed him have been watching guys go by or chasing guys. I think if he was playing like he did in Miami's 4-3, or even close to it, we'd be hearing someone say something about his play and how the others should emulate it.

I think we have one of the worst sets of LBs in any 3-4 in the league, but again, that's just a difference of opinion...you might be right and I wrong...who knows?

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Does anyone have access to how the players have been graded out week to week by the coaches?

Weren't there a couple of guys last year who were watching tape and giving players their own grades and giving us some insight into how they were playing at various positions?

That was good stuff, but maybe they can't stomach watching tape after seeing the games.

juck

Reaction score
wayne motley;2360558 said:
Just a difference of opinion...I'd trade him for Adele right now from what I've seen. Zach is getting blocked out of the play entirely more times than not...on the Jackson long TD, among others, he was ridden all the way to the sideline. He is also missing a lot of tackles. He has a great reputation, but he hasn't adjusted to the 3-4 yet and has not had any impact from what I've seen. The one thing we were hoping for, leadership, he can't really provide because he's playing as bad as any LB on our team.

Again, I'm no expert, and I don't get to study the film, but most of the times I've noticed him have been watching guys go by or chasing guys. I think if he was playing like he did in Miami's 4-3, or even close to it, we'd be hearing someone say something about his play and how the others should emulate it.

I think we have one of the worst sets of LBs in any 3-4 in the league, but again, that's just a difference of opinion...you might be right and I wrong...who knows?

some must not watch the same game we do.we were better run defense with akin.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
wayne motley;2360558 said:
Zach is getting blocked out of the play entirely more times than not...on the Jackson long TD, among others, he was ridden all the way to the sideline.

He is also missing a lot of tackles.

Who wasn't blocked and ran down on that touchdown and do you have any satistics to back up your "blocked out of the play entirely more times then not" claim?

missing a lot of tackles...yet hes leading the team in tackles, explain that one.

juck

Reaction score
the kid 05;2360573 said:
Who wasn't blocked and ran down on that touchdown and do you have any satistics to back up your "blocked out of the play entirely more times then not" claim?

missing a lot of tackles...yet hes leading the team in tackles, explain that one.
He also misses as many as he makes.He also gets faked out of his pants cause he is old.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
juckie;2360580 said:
He also misses as many as he makes.He also gets faked out of his pants cause he is old.

link to the statistics? also when am i getting that link to that says we could have had ray lewis

fortdick

Reaction score
juckie;2360580 said:

This is a dumb thread. If Thomas is leading the team in tackles, and he's a bum, what that mean about the rest of the defense?

David276

Benched
Reaction score
the only arguments im seeing against him are that a FEW plays he is being blocked on. well where the hell was bradie and the d line during those plays. probably getting blown of the ball also. zach is a upgrade over ayodele plain and simple seriously im beginning to question what some of you see when youre watching the game because im seeing something totally opposite . bradie has been blown off the ball, fallen, missed far more tackles, is out of position, basically doing his best juilius jones impersination that a defensive player can do almost all the time and zach thomas sucks? in terms of positive vs negative yeah he misses a FEW tackles but also cannot make the entire front seven dominate at the same time. when bradie and the d line begin to play right and zach is still being "blown off the line more often than not " then the title of this thread will have some merit.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
fortdick;2360595 said:
This is a dumb thread. If Thomas is leading the team in tackles, and he's a bum, what that mean about the rest of the defense?
they're bums too except for Ware and Ratliff.