Zach Wilson Pro Day

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Yes and there are plenty of success stories with less too. When you add 2-3 big pieces, all-pro's s that cost 12-15m/year you can do some interesting things when you already have a framework or some pieces in place.
people who tend to do well defensively, tend to draft well defensively. you don't build via FA....you complement and supplement....perhaps one big signing and a few of small to mid level players. and that is if you can evaluate defensive players even in FA, which we haven't done well in that area neither..

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
we will see what happens...... so now you have tied yourself to Wilson.....I guess he is bound to sink and sink fast given your past predictions LOL

The NFL has tied themselves to him.. Duh...

My controversial opinion about Wilson months ago is now a mainstream opinion shared by the NFL.

If I’m wrong so are the very best who do this.

Brooksey

Reaction score
people who tend to do well defensively, tend to draft well defensively. you don't build via FA....you complement and supplement....perhaps one big signing and a few of small to mid level players. and that is if you can evaluate defensive players even in FA, which we haven't done well in that area neither..

I hope Dak plays like an All-Pro...the fact is he can't make some of throws Wilson is making at his pro day, especially the sideline throws. I like Dak, think he'll be just fine (we're loaded on offense) and our defense will be middle of the pack.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas fans tend to overrate Cowboys players. Even if you tossed in the #10 pick, the Jets wouldn't have traded for Dak.

Dak is more valuable to fans and Jerry Jones than he is to the league. Someone would take him if he hit free agency with no draft compensation, but if it requires giving up a #1 pick (unless it's in the 20s), a team isn't giving that up for Dak.
You're absolutely right and absolutely wrong at the same time.

Carson Palmer was traded for a 1st and a 2nd, and that was after announcing he'd retire if he wasn't traded.
Jay Cutler was traded for two 1sts, a 3rd and Kyle Orton
Sam Bradford was traded for a 1st and a 4th.

There's no question that multiple teams would trade more than a 1st for Dak. But I agree that a team sitting on the 2nd overall pick in a QB-rich draft would have no interest in such a trade: they're about to get a top-rated QB prospect on the cheap for the next five years.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The NFL has tied themselves to him.. Duh...

My controversial opinion about Wilson months ago is now a mainstream opinion shared by the NFL.

If I’m wrong so are the very best who do this.
OMG. how big is your head I wonder....your view of wilson is now shared by NFL...as if the scouts for 32 NFL teams and billions in budget had no idea about him...and the NFL news goes in cycles, so this is the draft cycle...it happens every year, so you need to stop patting yourself on the back...you are just now catching up with what NFL knew already...

btw, i have to say nice spin, on the one hand you said NFl is catching with you (LOL) and then you said, If I am wrong, they are wrong because they are very best at doing this.

do you stand behind your opinion or not? seems you wanted to give yourself an out just in case....

you are funny...

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I hope Dak plays like an All-Pro...the fact is he can't make some of throws Wilson is making at his pro day, especially the sideline throws. I like Dak, think he'll be just fine (we're loaded on offense) and our defense will be middle of the pack.
so wilson, against air and in shorts made some throws...can I hear a woohoo from the congregation from the balcony...

Lead was awsome too. Wentz made incredible throws. Turbisky showed a great arm. Ware, oh man Ware had a cannon for an arm.

least you can do is wait until he plays one down in the NFL before touting him......

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
OMG. how big is your head I wonder....your view of wilson is now shared by NFL...as if the scouts for 32 NFL teams and billions in budget had no idea about him...and the NFL news goes in cycles, so this is the draft cycle...it happens every year, so you need to stop patting yourself on the back...you are just now catching up with what NFL knew already...

btw, i have to say nice spin, on the one hand you said NFl is catching with you (LOL) and then you said, If I am wrong, they are wrong because they are very best at doing this.

do you stand behind your opinion or not? seems you wanted to give yourself an out just in case....

you are funny...

It wasn’t a public opinion at the time.. It may have been their opinion but it’s not like I had any information from them to go off of.

At the time everyone told me Fields is the best or 2nd best QB.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

Carson Palmer was traded for a 1st and a 2nd, and that was after announcing he'd retire if he wasn't traded.

There's no question that multiple teams would trade more than a 1st for Dak. But I agree that a team sitting on the 2nd overall pick in a QB-rich draft would have no interest in such a trade: they're about to get a top-rated QB prospect on the cheap for the next five years.

First, there IS a question because no team traded for Dak.
You can't drawn an absolute statement from a hypothetical. That's like comparing apples to oranges.

Second, Cutler, Palmer and Bradford were first round draft picks. Dak was a fourth round draft pick.
Their values were already established; so was Dak's.
Besides, you can't compare Dak to the values of players in the past. Different times. Different circumstances.

Bottom line: A team is not giving up a 1st round pick for Dak. Then again, the Cowboys wouldn't trade him for a first round pick. The entire discussion is really just fantasy musings.

Dak is signed and here to stay for the foreseeable future.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It wasn’t a public opinion at the time.. It may have been their opinion but it’s not like I had any information from them to go off of.

you are trying to give yourself an out in case he doesn't work out....

btw, lot of people knew about wilson, fields and obviously Lawrence.....its just there is a lot more news cycles, analysis, etc....its the draft cycle of the year

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
you are trying to give yourself an out in case he doesn't work out....

btw, lot of people knew about wilson, fields and obviously Lawrence.....its just there is a lot more news cycles, analysis, etc....its the draft cycle of the year

Dude it’s the draft... There are no guarantees.. Learn football please. This a projection going forward. You’re wanting to look at the draft in a very dumbed down way:

A great player in a bad environment can struggle.

A mediocre player in a great environment can have success.

What I do know is Wilson has an elite skill set and overall talent and his ceiling is a lot higher than Dak Prescott’s. Especially if he were playing for this franchise.

Last edited:

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First, there IS a question because no team traded for Dak.
You can't drawn an absolute statement from a hypothetical. That's like comparing apples to oranges.
Hilarious, given that you go on to say, "Bottom line: A team is not giving up a 1st round pick for Dak."
Second, Cutler, Palmer and Bradford were first round draft picks. Dak was a fourth round draft pick.
Their values were already established; so was Dak's.
What in the world does their draft position have to do with trades that happened years later?
Besides, you can't compare Dak to the values of players in the past. Different times. Different circumstances.

Bottom line: A team is not giving up a 1st round pick for Dak. Then again, the Cowboys wouldn't trade him for a first round pick. The entire discussion is really just fantasy musings.

Dak is signed and here to stay for the foreseeable future.
"Players in the past." This isn't ancient history. These are recent events. And what, you think QBs are considered LESS valuable now than they were in the past? Hardly. The idea that Dak wouldn't attract a 1st-rounder plus in trade is simply ludicrous.

DFWJC

Reaction score

I'm not really in on this debate, but I will say that because of the rookie cap, 1st round picks are valued more now than they were back then.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

Not me. I never liked Fields more then Wilson or even Lance.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not really in on this debate, but I will say that because of the rookie cap, 1st round picks are valued more now than they were back then.
That's true, but two of those three trades happened after the rookie cap came in.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dude it’s the draft... There are no guarantees.. Learn football please. This a projection going forward. You’re wanting to look at the draft in a very dumbed down way:

A great player in a bad environment can struggle.

A mediocre player in a great environment can have success.

What I do know is Wilson has an elite skill set and overall talent and his ceiling is a lot higher than Dak Prescott’s. Especially if he were playing for this franchise.
well, see you are trying to spin yet again. on the one hand you advocate for wilson over Dak a proven top 10 NFL QB....and on the other hand, you back track and say its the draft and it could craap out...

a medicore player needs a lot of help and a fantastic environment for the team to succeed...or the side of the ball he is on....ala Dilfer, who had great defense, so the defense was key not dilfer and the offense, so you are mixing up team success with player capability...there are lots of ways to succeed..... same goes for Tannehill, without the running game and great OL that offense is average, He is just medicore as their passing game is in the bottom 10, playing safe approach to passing game..so he is still medicore, although the offense is good, but its because of running game.......you need to learn to separate the two concepts....

and so you think Wilson has elite skills, has a higher ceiling, but at the same time he is a gamble. and then on the same breath you say he may struggle playing for Cowboys franchise, yet you complain about Dak and not mention the franchise....you expect Dak to lift the franchise and over come it, but hey Wilson may struggle with cowboys....

you are literally on both sides of the fence.....

you are funny

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
well, see you are trying to spin yet again. on the one hand you advocate for wilson over Dak a proven top 10 NFL QB....and on the other hand, you back track and say its the draft and it could craap out...

a medicore player needs a lot of help and a fantastic environment for the team to succeed...or the side of the ball he is on....ala Dilfer, who had great defense, so the defense was key not dilfer and the offense, so you are mixing up team success with player capability...there are lots of ways to succeed..... same goes for Tannehill, without the running game and great OL that offense is average, He is just medicore as their passing game is in the bottom 10, playing safe approach to passing game..so he is still medicore, although the offense is good, but its because of running game.......you need to learn to separate the two concepts....

and so you think Wilson has elite skills, has a higher ceiling, but at the same time he is a gamble. and then on the same breath you say he may struggle playing for Cowboys franchise, yet you complain about Dak and not mention the franchise....you expect Dak to lift the franchise and over come it, but hey Wilson may struggle with cowboys....

you are literally on both sides of the fence.....

you are funny

No.. You’re trying to pigeon hole something that can’t be pigeon holed so in the future you can either ignore how right I was like for example when I had Josh Allen as the best in his class or you can roast me for being wrong about a guy like Deshaun Watson who I missed on.

How about you just take my posts as a learning opportunity because anything in this realm I’m operating at a much higher level than you.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bad form replying twice to the same thing, I know and I'm sorry.

But I somehow forgot my strongest arguments. Carson Wentz, who was disastrously bad and got benched this year, JUST got traded for a 3rd-rounder and a pick that will be 1st-rounder if he's the starter for 75% of the year (and a 2nd-rounder otherwise).

Matthew Stafford JUST got traded for two first-rounders plus a third-rounder plus Jared Goff.

How could anyone think Dak wouldn't pull a 1st-round pick plus in trade?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
No.. You’re trying to pigeon hole something that can’t be pigeon holed so in the future you can either ignore how right I was like for example when I had Josh Allen as the best in his class or you can roast me for being wrong about a guy like Deshaun Watson who I missed on.

How about you just take my posts as a learning opportunity because anything in this realm I’m operating at a much higher level than you.
like I said, your posts for every to see. you tout Wilson, going as far as saying you identified him before it became known in the NFL news cycles and what not, then you say he may fail because draft is not gauranteed, then you say he is better than dak, then you say he may struggle in Dallas organization (but blame dak for the struggle apparently)..

I am not trying to pigeon hole anything, you are doing a fine job of that yourself.

and now, you are diverting the discussion to something totally irrelevant. you dug this hole yourself, I just opened the door for you and you just dove right in

p.s.

I am glad you are now starting to admit you have been wrong. the first one is always the hardest.