Zach Wilson Pro Day

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
We could have done plenty with 17M, like Sign Jaron Reed (DT) and KJ Wright(LB) to start and still have 8-10M left. Next year 2022 Dak counts 33m against cap, 44m in 2023 and 47M in 2024. I can do an awful lot with that kind of money. Personally I would have built the #1 defense in the league with that kind of cash...hell maybe even something that would rival the '85 bears
reed had a 5 M contract and KJ wright had signed a 2 year 14M contract....so you think Wright will sign for 2 to 4M so you get a 8-10 figure?

and you think those two or three are enough to overcome the big drop off in QB play as you are grooming a rookie and hoping he works out? like I said 4 out of 5 fail in the NFL.....

and if we really wanted to get those guys, it was easy to rework a contract to get the cap room.....the question is did reed want to come here? if we wanted him we had to over pay to convince him to come here, so the 5M figure you point to is because he is going to a superbowl champion team and a team that was just in superbowl, anybody else the price would go up much higher....

we are no longer the destination players want to come to, unless we over pay. by a lot.

and contracts get reworked all the time. its the norm in the NFL.....and next year the cap jumps and the year after jumps even higher, expected to go up by 20-25% by 2023.....cap space is not an issue.

you can not build a defense through FA. you can sign a key FA here or there and complement the positions you missed in the draft. no team successfully build a championship level defense through FA....you build through the draft. until we draft well defensively, we are going to struggle defensively.....

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I would have traded Dak (who I like, great guy) and moved into the #2 spot to land this guy, then used the cap space to build a "real defense" and make a run, but we have no stones.
Same ole story in Dallas this year, maxed at the cap with a middle of the pack defense... if we're lucky.
That wasn't an option.
Dak wasn't signed to a tender so wasn't eligible to trade.
They can however do that next year if they desire and are willing to eat the crazy cap hit.

Brooksey

Reaction score
People have spent a lot more than that trying to be top defenses.

Yes and there are plenty of success stories with less too. When you add 2-3 big pieces, all-pro's s that cost 12-15m/year you can do some interesting things when you already have a framework or some pieces in place.

Brooksey

Reaction score
That wasn't an option.
Dak wasn't signed to a tender so wasn't eligible to trade.
They can however do that next year if they desire and are willing to eat the crazy cap hit.

Again it's all just speculative because he's signed but I don't care what Dak would have yielded in a trade, moving his salary/cap hit would have been the main move. We would have had to spend draft capital to move up. The idea is the rest of the offensive is in place and over the next few years there would have been a lot of room to hit FA and build the defense. Is it a guarantee? No but not much is in life is.... except us being mediocre doing what we're doing now and for the last 25 years.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Yes and there are plenty of success stories with less too. When you add 2-3 big pieces, all-pro's s that cost 12-15m/year you can do some interesting things when you already have a framework or some pieces in place.

Absolutely. Do you trust the Cowboys to pull the trigger on the right expensive guys?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It all depends on what situation he goes to IMO. He has the talent to be a really good NFL QB if he goes to the right team.

Yeah.. The Jets could ruin him.

I really think that team needs to build around Darnold because Wilson goes in to a mess.

Brooksey

Reaction score
reed had a 5 M contract and KJ wright had signed a 2 year 14M contract....so you think Wright will sign for 2 to 4M so you get a 8-10 figure?

and you think those two or three are enough to overcome the big drop off in QB play as you are grooming a rookie and hoping he works out? like I said 4 out of 5 fail in the NFL.....

and if we really wanted to get those guys, it was easy to rework a contract to get the cap room.....the question is did reed want to come here? if we wanted him we had to over pay to convince him to come here, so the 5M figure you point to is because he is going to a superbowl champion team and a team that was just in superbowl, anybody else the price would go up much higher....

we are no longer the destination players want to come to, unless we over pay. by a lot.

and contracts get reworked all the time. its the norm in the NFL.....and next year the cap jumps and the year after jumps even higher, expected to go up by 20-25% by 2023.....cap space is not an issue.

you can not build a defense through FA. you can sign a key FA here or there and complement the positions you missed in the draft. no team successfully build a championship level defense through FA....you build through the draft. until we draft well defensively, we are going to struggle defensively.....

I was thinking about improved QB play with Wilson not a drop off @ an 90% discount for 5 years. We have an O-line, Zeke, Good WR's. With that kind of arm talent Wilson may have broke Dan Marino's rookie records in Dallas (He would have been fine).

If he goes to the Jets he may be carrying a clipboard by age 27

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I was thinking about improved QB play with Wilson not a drop off @ an 90% discount for 5 years. We have an O-line, Zeke, Good WR's. With that kind of arm talent Wilson may have broke Dan Marino's rookie records in Dallas (He would have been fine).

If he goes to the Jets he may be carrying a clipboard by age 27
improved QB play with parson? you are obviously joking....that's too laughable and you just showed your hate, just for the sake of being spiteful.

done!

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Again it's all just speculative because he's signed but I don't care what Dak would have yielded in a trade, moving his salary/cap hit would have been the main move. We would have had to spend draft capital to move up. The idea is the rest of the offensive is in place and over the next few years there would have been a lot of room to hit FA and build the defense. Is it a guarantee? No but not much is in life is.... except us being mediocre doing what we're doing now and for the last 25 years.
That's the point. There is speculation then there is fantasy.
Dak and his team had all the leverage.
The only way to lessen that leverage is to do what they did. Sign him.
Now they control when and where he goes.

Goff and Wentz were both traded.. AFTER they were signed.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yeah.. The Jets could ruin him.

I really think that team needs to build around Darnold because Wilson goes in to a mess.

Oh, I think they will ruin him, for sure. It's really a shame too because that kid has a lot of talent.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
That's the point. There is speculation then there is fantasy.
Dak and his team had all the leverage.
The only way to lessen that leverage is to do what they did. Sign him.
Now they control when and where he goes.

Goff and Wentz were both traded.. AFTER they were signed.

How do they control when and where when Dak and France have a no trade clause right of refusal and a no tag clause in it?

Brooksey

Reaction score
improved QB play with parson? you are obviously joking....that's too laughable and you just showed your hate, just for the sake of being spiteful.

done!

Who said anything about Parsons playing QB? :muttley:I like him at LB over Jaylon, if you wanna talk Parsons we can

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Who said anything about Parsons playing QB? :muttley:I like him at LB over Jaylon, if you wanna talk Parsons we can
my mistake...I meant to say Wilson...regardless. we will not get improved QB play with Wilson.....he is a gamble. 4 out of 5 first round QBs fail or turn out average in the NFL.....given Lawrence is consensus can't miss prospect this year chances of the rest failing is high.... Wilson is got questions marks.....he reminds me of Turbisky......one year of college output worth of any note.

if you like to gamble, pay a visit to Las Vegas.....I don't like gambling

Malhavoc

Reaction score
He’s going to the Jets for better or worse. Its just about as certain as Lawrence to the Jags.