Zack Martin on his contract: We'll see where it goes

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I keep getting grilled for it, but I'll keep saying it. I really don't the Cowboys will extend Martin. They'll let him walk because he's seeking too much money, or more preferably, they'll trade him in a sign-and-trade.

The Cowboys are still investing premium draft picks on the line. I think it's a sign.

Now go ahead, tell me how wrong I am.
I won't. Honestly, this could be the smart move, which is why I'm not expecting it.
Just keep rotating the OL with premium capital.

It's a trade off: Trading premium picks for dollars on the Cap on a specific Unit, but it's an interesting gamble I'm curious to see play out.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Love the guy but no G is worth 14+ million a year.Then we wonder why we haven't had a formidable DEFENSE in over 20 years!

Let him walk and allocate the cap monies for the defense.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I won't. Honestly, this could be the smart move, which is why I'm not expecting it.
Just keep rotating the OL with premium capital.

It's a trade off: Trading premium picks for dollars on the Cap on a specific Unit, but it's an interesting gamble I'm curious to see play out.
That's my line of thought as well. Even if it's a top-15 pick, you have him for 5 years at close to $3million per year. That's much better than shelling out $15million per year for an interior lineman, which is probably close to what Martin will want.

Corso

Reaction score
OL and LB are the two safest 1st round picks. Something like an 80% success rate.
What if the Cowboys decide to trade Martin next off-season? Get a good pick, or two... Then they invest a round 1, or, at worst a round 2 T/G to "replace" him while it may be Conner doing the replacing...

Keep viewing the OL as the Hidey Hidey Ho of the team, in the draft and doing their best to keep costs low on the unit?

Oy... I fear I tread in difficult waters. I'm a story-teller, not an analyst.

cern

Reaction score
"We'll see where this goes". Cryptic? Esoteric? Not at all. Translation...show me the money. Have we learned nothing over the years. It's always about the money. Signing him will be problematic. No home discount here.

Corso

Reaction score
"We'll see where this goes". Cryptic? Esoteric? Not at all. Translation...show me the money. Have we learned nothing over the years. It's always about the money. Signing him will be problematic. No home discount here.
In the End, yes.
I actually don't think he, personally, cares about a figure, but knows his worth.
He trusts his agent, and that's a good thing. It took me three agents to find one I truly trust and know is on my side. I had to sue one. Damn shame.
I more wonder what Stephen is thinking right this very second upon said subject.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
What if the Cowboys decide to trade Martin next off-season? Get a good pick, or two... Then they invest a round 1, or, at worst a round 2 T/G to "replace" him while it may be Conner doing the replacing...

Keep viewing the OL as the Hidey Hidey Ho of the team, in the draft and doing their best to keep costs low on the unit?

Oy... I fear I tread in difficult waters. I'm a story-teller, not an analyst.

Projection is story telling. it just happens that you are trying to tell a story about the real future. The best sci-fi does that.

If you can pick in the top half of the first round you are all but guaranteed of getting a top OG. That being said Martin is All Pro. Quibbling over $2m worth of salary for him is overblown IMO once you consider the expanding cap.

My concern is paying Dak like he is Matt Ryan. He has not earned it.

Corso

Reaction score
Projection is story telling. it just happens that you are trying to tell a story about the real future. The best sci-fi does that.

If you can pick in the top half of the first round you are all but guaranteed of getting a top OG. That being said Martin is All Pro. Quibbling over $2m worth of salary for him is overblown IMO once you consider the expanding cap.

Great post. thank you. I enjoyed reading it - but what do you think about my idea of not signing Zach to a top dollar extension and trade off the cap dollars with draft capital?

Corso

Reaction score

Oh... sorry to redirect from your point, but I have the same concerns as you about Dak. Hence me not talking about it. Nothing for me to talk about there.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Great post. thank you. I enjoyed reading it - but what do you think about my idea of not signing Zach to a top dollar extension and trade off the cap dollars with draft capital?

It's not a bad option. OTOH, I think OG is more important for us than it is most teams because of our offense and our best option is to pay the man.

The OL contracts are staggered nicely. TFred, LC, Williams, and Tyron are signed for at least 3 more years. 4 years of elite continuity in a unit that relies on familiarity is an asset in and of itself.

We don't sign outside top dollar FA and have oodles of cap room. We are best off drafting well and resigning our hits.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Stop the nonsense people, Zack Martin contract will get done.......he's a core player alone with Frederick and Smith. I do agree they may decide to recycle at least two OL positions with freshly drafted players every 3-5 years. We simply can't afford to have FIVE OL players on 2nd contracts at same time. Keep an eye on Collins. IMO it's highly unlikely he gets his big-money deal here. They can let him walk and draft a lock-down replacement for 3-4 years CHEAP.

Corso

Reaction score
It's not a bad option. OTOH, I think OG is more important for us than it is most teams because of our offense and our best option is to pay the man.

The OL contracts are staggered nicely. TFred, LC, Williams, and Tyron are signed for at least 3 more years. 4 years of elite continuity in a unit that relies on familiarity is an asset in and of itself.

We don't sign outside top dollar FA and have oodles of cap room. We are best off drafting well and resigning our hits.
This is going to be a tale to be told. I look forward to it. Alexander might need to be tightening his tie for an OC interview.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
This is where Stephen Jones P me off.......dragging his feet when comes to getting deals done. Martin is obviously getting frustrated.

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...with-Cowboys-Well-see-where-it-goes-118295234
Zack Martin on contract talks: 'We'll see where it goes'
ByPATRIK WALKER 9 hours ago
6_7243670.jpg

(Photo: Joe Robbins, Scout.com)

The time has come to build a Bank of America on Zack Martin's front lawn.

Following a failed attempt in 2017 to settle terms on a new deal with the veteran guard, the Dallas Cowboys again face an offseason with him as their financial headliner. No one in their right mind wants to see such a talent walk out the door, and both owner Jerry Jones and EVP Stephen Jonesare confident a deal will get done in the near future. Martin himself is optimistic as well, but admits it's no longer in the forefront of his mind now that offseason conditioning is in full swing with players preparing to kick things up a notch in OTAs.

“I think it’s been better after we’ve gotten into the facility with all the guys,” he said from the Cowboys' charity home run derby, via 247Sports. “I really don’t think about it now, because I’m with those guys working out and kind of back to normal. We’ll see. Hopefully it gets done.

"We’ll see where it goes.

I see absolutely NO rush for Jones. Obviously Martin is demanding top money as he should. And Jones will pay it. But why not let the season get most of the way completed? If Martin were to get hurt this season it would drive down the price. He has nothing to lose by waiting.