Zay Jones visiting Cowboys

Carson

Reaction score
I don’t give Dallas much of a chance versus Kansa City in signing him.
Yeah I’m with you Stash. When it was Arizona, Tennessee and Dallas I thought we would get him.

Now that’s he’s left he wont be coming back. Reminds of Shaq Leonard last season.

Stinks that whenever we hear about a player visiting they don’t sign. Kendricks, Freeman, Zeke all popped up out of nowhere.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
I'm not convinced he moves the needle. He was good in 2022, but very average last season and throughout his 8 year career, averaging ~400 yards and 2 TDs. Is he really better than where Tolbert is right now, or is he a progress stopper? I'm all for talent acquisition, but does this guy really make the team better? I'm not so sure.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
I'm not convinced he moves the needle. He was good in 2022, but very average last season and throughout his 8 year career, averaging ~400 yards and 2 TDs. Is he really better than where Tolbert is right now, or is he a progress stopper? I'm all for talent acquisition, but does this guy really make the team better? I'm not so sure.
To be fair, as a guy who follows his majority of football teams outside of dallas and also for fantasy purposes, the jags already had a decent wr unit with ridley, kirk and agnew, which is why Jones opportunities were limited. Jones also rotated with Agnew after coming back from injury. By that time agnew had already made a name for himself.

Not to mention targets also went to the TE spot with engram. 400 yards seemes about right for Jones considering ridley, kirk and engram had close to 1000 yards if not over.

Your view of Jones is off. I actually like the opportunity to have him here. Lamb, Jones and cooks would be a nice 3 with Tolbert at 4th.

Jones would get more snaps here than Jacksonville. 350-400 yards receiving is actually good on last years jags team, so he would definitely do better here on a team with a wr shortage.

The only reason I can see Jones not picking dallas is money. And that would be stupidity on the FO part. But Jones knows he has a better opportunity here.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think 5-6 teams are looking at him.

He's an ok WR4/5 for someone. WR3 in a pinch, I guess

Carson

Reaction score

He’s a solid WR3. We would be a top tier group with signing Jones at WR (that means top 7-10)

He is a much better route runner than Gallup. He plays outside, so that helps Dallas because Lamb and Cooks can play inside.

But there is literally ZERO chance he left Dallas, visits Kansas City and decides to go back to Arizona or Dallas unless he wants to stay in warm weather and return home to Dallas.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score

He was behind ridley,kirk, engram and the RB etienne in target share. Imo if given a better opportunity, he'd be a decent 2-3 easy, especially with a wr thin cowboys.

DFWJC

Reaction score
He’s a solid WR3. We would be a top tier group with signing Jones at WR (that means top 7-10)

He is a much better route runner than Gallup. He plays outside, so that helps Dallas because Lamb and Cooks can play inside.

But there is literally ZERO chance he left Dallas, visits Kansas City and decides to go back to Arizona or Dallas unless he wants to stay in warm weather and return home to Dallas.
I know him very well.

Have known about him and have followed his career since he was 10 years old.
Lincoln Riley offense allowed him to lead the nation in receiving his senior year at ECU.
Talented but had injury issues.

Would love for us to get him as better depth.

Kind of like Drew Brees---he was born in Dallas but really grew up in Austin.

JBS

Reaction score
You had to really think hard about that.

287 career catches vs 24...

41 per season vs 12...
Don’t tell me. Tell the people that are telling me I’m wrong. That’s how delusional this place is

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Yeah I’m with you Stash. When it was Arizona, Tennessee and Dallas I thought we would get him.

Now that’s he’s left he wont be coming back. Reminds of Shaq Leonard last season.

Stinks that whenever we hear about a player visiting they don’t sign. Kendricks, Freeman, Zeke all popped up out of nowhere.
If it was just us and no one else, I still wouldn't expect us to get them. Some players aren't interested in playing on a one-year, prove-it deal unless they absolutely have to.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I don't give Dallas much of a chance versus Dallas in signing him. Even if the Cowboys were the only team interested, I think it would be a question of signing now for a low-ball offer or waiting until some team has an injury and is more interested in paying a few million for his services.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Reid wants him, they will sign him. No question about that. Likely a one year deal and only signed to cover themselves for what might happen to Rice.

If Jones leaves Kansas City without a deal, his asking price probably drops quite a bit.

Carson

Reaction score
If it was just us and no one else, I still wouldn't expect us to get them. Some players aren't interested in playing on a one-year, prove-it deal unless they absolutely have to.
I don’t think he gets more than one year, $3 million with incentives.

Tyler Boyd is a much better player and just signed for one year, up to $4.5 million.

reddyuta

Reaction score
he will cost around 4 million,not sure cheapskate Stephen will fork up that dough.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
To be fair, as a guy who follows his majority of football teams outside of dallas and also for fantasy purposes, the jags already had a decent wr unit with ridley, kirk and agnew, which is why Jones opportunities were limited. Jones also rotated with Agnew after coming back from injury. By that time agnew had already made a name for himself.

Not to mention targets also went to the TE spot with engram. 400 yards seemes about right for Jones considering ridley, kirk and engram had close to 1000 yards if not over.

Your view of Jones is off. I actually like the opportunity to have him here. Lamb, Jones and cooks would be a nice 3 with Tolbert at 4th.

Jones would get more snaps here than Jacksonville. 350-400 yards receiving is actually good on last years jags team, so he would definitely do better here on a team with a wr shortage.

The only reason I can see Jones not picking dallas is money. And that would be stupidity on the FO part. But Jones knows he has a better opportunity here.
Would it really be any different here? I'm not knocking the guy. I'm just looking at the career averages for a guy that just left his third team and I'm feeling pretty underwhelmed. You referenced his time in Jax, but what about his stint with the Raiders? He had two seasons under 200 yards and one decent year at 546 yards and one TD. He had a decent second year in Buffalo, but was traded the following year for a 5th.

Injury report doesn't look too bad. 16-17 he dealt with shoulder issues and last season a pcl strain and pulled hamstring, which I'm sure contributed to declined production. If he can return to 2022 form, great, but I'm seeing some pretty wild inconsistency that's troubling. How much money do you give to a guy that's really only had 3 solid productive seasons out of 8 and is coming off of a lackluster year? He may fit here as a 4th receiver/5th receiving option, which is what we need, but much more than the vet minimum for a 29 year old WR without a whole lot of production is a tough sell.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Would it really be any different here? I'm not knocking the guy. I'm just looking at the career averages for a guy that just left his third team and I'm feeling pretty underwhelmed. You referenced his time in Jax, but what about his stint with the Raiders? He had two seasons under 200 yards and one decent year at 546 yards and one TD. He had a decent second year in Buffalo, but was traded the following year for a 5th.

Injury report doesn't look too bad. 16-17 he dealt with shoulder issues and last season a pcl strain and pulled hamstring, which I'm sure contributed to declined production. If he can return to 2022 form, great, but I'm seeing some pretty wild inconsistency that's troubling. How much money do you give to a guy that's really only had 3 solid productive seasons out of 8 and is coming off of a lackluster year? He may fit here as a 4th receiver/5th receiving option, which is what we need, but much more than the vet minimum for a 29 year old WR without a whole lot of production is a tough sell.
Raider had terrible QB play with Derek Carr and the club was high on agolor, ruggs, and renfro, once again a team with a deep Wr unit. Not to mention the TE spot also had waller and yours truly Jason Witten as the backup.

Just like the jags, the Raiders didn't give zay many opportunities with that lineup. Not to mention Terrell Williams who got targets and RB Josh Jacob's.

That bills on the other hand was just a bad team at 6-10. Kelvin Benjamin was their 2 option and zay got doubled all the time. They had no TE with only clay and an old shady Mccoy was their RB. Bad situation for zay and that's why the bills got diggs and Gab davis.

Point is, regardless of how fan look at his past stats, zay has been in crappy spots his whole career and dallas is the best spot he will ever be in on the tail end of his career.