Zeke’s PFF Grade Explained

mattjames2010

Reaction score
"It could be argued Saquon had a higher workload..."

Nope. Not close.

Zeke's receiving usage only blew up in the second half of the season as well, if we used him the first 8 weeks like we did the last 8 weeks he would have cracked 100 catches.

And Barkley's receptions decreased in the second half of the season and he averaged around what Zeke did in the first half. What is your point?

Simple fact is, that's not what happened, now did it? Zeke didn't have as many receptions as Barkley, and Barkley averaged more yards a carry and if we are playing the "what if" game, Barkley would have had more yards than Zeke if he had similar amount of carries and far more TDs.

Zeke underperformed for the amount of carries he got in the TD department and was nothing spectacular running the ball.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Zeke gets penalized by PFF for not breaking tackles.

His running style - vision, essentially - is so that he doesn't even get touched.

PFF is dumb, and their evaluation of Zeke is even dumber.

LOL we have one side of the Zeke fanboys saying he gets hit too often, now he "doesn't get touched".

aria

Reaction score
"It could be argued Saquon had a higher workload..."

Nope. Not close.

Zeke's receiving usage only blew up in the second half of the season as well, if we used him the first 8 weeks like we did the last 8 weeks he would have cracked 100 catches.
First of all, I wasn’t directly referring to touches overall, I was referring to what he had to work behind. I should have been clear about that. Second of all, Barkley still had less touches and more yards behind a much worse O line. It’s also why we should let Zeke walk, good chance he’ll be going downhill very quickly at that rate.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
And Barkley's receptions decreased in the second half of the season and he averaged around what Zeke did in the first half. What is your point?

Simple fact is, that's not what happened, now did it? Zeke didn't have as many receptions as Barkley, and Barkley averaged more yards a carry and if we are playing the "what if" game, Barkley would have had more yards than Zeke if he had similar amount of carries and far more TDs.

Zeke underperformed for the amount of carries he got in the TD department and was nothing spectacular running the ball.

Barkley had 36% more carries inside the opponents 10 yard line (more than half of Saquon's TDs came here) than Zeke did. I'm sure that didn't have anything to do with his better TD numbers (which can vary widely from year to year).

Barkley's great trait is his homerun ability. Zeke has a lot of other advantages.

aria

Reaction score
Barkley had 36% more carries inside the opponents 10 yard line (more than half of Saquon's TDs came here) than Zeke did. I'm sure that didn't have anything to do with his better TD numbers (which can vary widely from year to year).

Barkley's great trait is his homerun ability. Zeke has a lot of other advantages.
Just like I’m sure Zeke having more carries than Saquon while averaging less ypc had nothing to do with Zeke having the most rushing yards which everyone likes to use as the one metric in determining the best RB in the NFL while ignoring several other factors like Zeke leading the league in fumbles (6 compared to Barkley and Gurley’s 0).

mattjames2010

Reaction score

This means nothing - you could take away Barkley's TDs from within 10 yards and he would still total 5 TDs. Zeke had 6....6 while having 300 carries. Let's stop downplaying the homerun ability, this matters. Scoring on offense is what it's designed to do, yes? Zeke is not doing that for us despite us being a run first team.

And I don't care what Zeke's "other abilities" are - he's not providing us points. He was part of our first shutout since 2003. He's a top 5 pick, I expect better from a guy we are trying to build around. If not, ship him the heck out.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
This means nothing - you could take away Barkley's TDs from within 10 yards and he would still total 5 TDs. Zeke had 6....6 while having 300 carries. Let's stop downplaying the homerun ability, this matters. Scoring on offense is what it's designed to do, yes? Zeke is not doing that for us despite us being a run first team.

And I don't care what Zeke's "other abilities" are - he's not providing us points. He was part of our first shutout since 2003. He's a top 5 pick, I expect better from a guy we are trying to build around. If not, ship him the heck out.

I guess we need to ship out the whole offense

Kevinicus

Reaction score

Nothing? A huge discrepency in carries where most TDs would be scored means nothing? This is not logical.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Nothing? A huge discrepency in carries where most TDs would be scored means nothing? This is not logical.

I just showed you, you remove his TDs from within 10 yards - you still have 5 TDs from outside that. Even without those goal line situations, he still almost totals Zeke's ENTIRE season total of TDs on the ground.

Barkley, on almost every level, simply outplayed Zeke. And I'm not even a huge Barkley fan - so that tells you about Zeke. RBs are junk to be thrown out in a few years, and that's what Zeke needs to be viewed as.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Was Saquon really the better runner?

According to Warren Sharp, his run success % was significantly lower than Zeke’s.

49.1 percent for Zeke versus 41 percent for Barkley.

aria

Reaction score
Was Saquon really the better runner?

According to Warren Sharp, his run success % was significantly lower than Zeke’s.

49.1 percent for Zeke versus 41 percent for Barkley.
Did you see the line SB had to run behind, especially in the first 1/2-3/4ths of the season? They were one of the worst in the league and even though they “improved” our O line was much, much better. It’s amazing he even broke 1K yards which I doubt Zeke would have been able to do running behind that same O line because he is more of a north/south runner and there was nowhere to go most of the time (ie no holes). Saquon is better at making people miss and making cuts, that’s the knky reason he even did as well as he did.

Zeke has one or two bad games and everyone blames it on the O line. Imagine if he had to run behind a much worse O line the entire season...that’s what Barkley had to deal with.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Given that PFF's data collection is inherently qualitative..
You're aren't very familiar with PFF in that case. While they do get into grey areas when they do things like assign blame for QB pressures, and go full-qualitative with player grades, the real treasure trove is the objective data that you can't get anywhere else. PFR is free, but they only break target distances into "less than 15 yards" or "15 or more yards." PFF gives you all target distances in 10-yard increments. That's just one of many examples. NextGenStats (free) gives you time in the pocket for every QB. PFF gives you the QB's time in the pocket for each different receiver targeted. I could go on and on.

Best way to approach PFF is to ignore the player grades, take things like QB accuracy, drops, and pressures allowed with a grain of salt, and ignore player grades completely. There's a lot to take in, and there's so much raw data, it's worth the subscription. I subscribe to PFF during the season, and I've never looked at the player grades once.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Ehhh, I'm no PFF fan, but some of their data is easy to quantify and some of it isn't. Yards per route run - use the box score stats for a WR, divide it by the number of patterns he ran.
Deep passing - count the attempts that went at least 20 yards past the LOS. Play action - count the number of times the QB faked a handoff. Slot performance - count the plays when the receiver was lined up in the slot. Run stop % - count the number of runs faced and the number of tackles for loss. Time in pocket - self-explanatory.

All these metrics involve nothing more than counting, and yet nobody else provides these statistics, or they provide very limited versions of them.

blumayne38

Reaction score
At some point you need to realize spamming this just shows you really have no counter argument.
You have an argument? I dont think so, there is no word or words for the person who thinks zeke isnt a HOF caliber player. And is easily replaced. It dosent take a genius to see that. Dak isnt the long term answer, and is a cheap stop gap for finding a legitimate QB. Dak will not and should not be extended regardless of how well he does next season in which I doubt he wins a Superbowl. This team is close though, get a highly talented thrower and this offense become high powered and almost unstoppable. But until then teams will play CB and LB close to the LOS and shut dowb the offense before it can get going and never allowing zeke to see the kind of holes he did when the universe didnt know dak had so many throwing limitations.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I just showed you, you remove his TDs from within 10 yards - you still have 5 TDs from outside that. Even without those goal line situations, he still almost totals Zeke's ENTIRE season total of TDs on the ground.

Barkley, on almost every level, simply outplayed Zeke. And I'm not even a huge Barkley fan - so that tells you about Zeke. RBs are junk to be thrown out in a few years, and that's what Zeke needs to be viewed as.

And if you give Zeke yhe same number inside yhe 10 he mayne has 2 or 3 more, and the total difference is not much. You can't make a huge argument about TDs and then ignore the biggest TD area on the field.

Zeke is the engine of this offense. Without him it is one of worst in the league.

You have falsely bought into the QB is all that matters, RBs are nothing nonsense.

kskboys

Reaction score
And if you give Zeke yhe same number inside yhe 10 he mayne has 2 or 3 more, and the total difference is not much. You can't make a huge argument about TDs and then ignore the biggest TD area on the field.

Zeke is the engine of this offense. Without him it is one of worst in the league.

You have falsely bought into the QB is all that matters, RBs are nothing nonsense.
Even though it's already been disproven and disposed of.