Zeke and Barkley, has he regressed?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Two underwhelming games by Zeke. I don't see anyone talking about how he has regressed or that we need to go get a RB in the first round next year.

You can see with Barkely that they are making the effort to design the entire offense around him. When you use a top 5 pick on a RB, that's exactly what you better do. Not much running lanes, but he caught 13 passes yesterday in an effort to do whatever they could to get the kid involved.

With Zeke all I really see is runs up the middle with no creativity. A couple passes here and there.
he is facing a lot of 8 man in the box....and they are playing close to the LOS.... the teams just don't respect out passing game, so they are forcing Dak to beat us...the giants called it out.... and I bet you the rest of the league is thinking the same way...outside of the one big play, which I am not dismissing, he was 15/24 for 96 yards....for a 4 yards per pass attempt.....yes, an ugly ugly 4 yards per pass attempt..... and 6.8 yards per pass completion..... read that again...6.8 yards per pass completion...teams are packing it in...there is no running room

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Zeke doesn’t look as quick as he did his rookie year but the OL, scheme, and Dak are killing him. No one is afraid of Dak passing so they overload the box and Garrett/Linehan still want to block straight up and send Zeke riht into a mass of bodies with no running room in sight.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Two underwhelming games by Zeke. I don't see anyone talking about how he has regressed or that we need to go get a RB in the first round next year.

You can see with Barkely that they are making the effort to design the entire offense around him. When you use a top 5 pick on a RB, that's exactly what you better do. Not much running lanes, but he caught 13 passes yesterday in an effort to do whatever they could to get the kid involved.

With Zeke all I really see is runs up the middle with no creativity. A couple passes here and there.
Because by doing that, one would be "targeting" only one young player when in fact the entire team is young.

That said, they're all going through a transition by adapting to one another and the coaching staff. I'm certainly not looking for any post season action from this young core, as of yet.

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
25 touches to 23 for Zeke.

He got his touches, but I agree, he isn't very impressive. I don't see that gear he had his rookie year and I didn't see it at all last year.

This is concerning to me.

Its the Oline. I guess that was my point of this whole thread. Its why Dak has seemed to regress and why Zeke also. The Oline play is spotty at best. However there are plenty of things that Dak needs to work on wheres Zeke just doesn't have the running lanes.

Reactions: Ken

JayFord

Reaction score
Man is averaging 4.6 yards a carry vs 8 man fronts.....

Barry sanders started a season with 15 carries for 33 yards and 10 carries for 20 yards and then proceeded to finish that same season with over 2000 yards

Not saying zeke is going to do that but the man is doing his job

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
We are still more apt to need a QB in the first round next year than a RB.

The lack of creativity in getting Zeke the ball falls on the coaches, and anyone who thinks this OL is what it was 2-3 years ago is kidding themselves.

We don't need either. What you just pointed out is that we what we need is a better Oline.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Zeke regressing? He's 23 and averaged 4.4 ypc last night? Collins even told you blatantly that their strategy was to dare Dak to beat them. He looked at stacked boxes all night. This is the NFL. You would never post here again if I was a mod. :huh:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Are you praising the Giants game plan?

It didn’t work. They are 0-2.

I like how they are making an effort to get the ball to Barkley as much as they can. Especially in the passing game. Something we don't do enough of here.

VirusX

Reaction score

Dude got tackled two yards deep and still managed to get like 4 yards... He'll be just fine.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Ridiculous to suggest he's regressed. Plenty of RB's would love to have 147 yards and two TD's through two games while averaging 4.6 per carry.

The reason Barkley got 14 catches is because Eli's the checkdown king because their WR's were swallowed up last night.

Yes, saying he has regressed is ridiculous. The term is ridiculous. However, No high end back would be happy with those numbers through 2 games. Certainly not Zeke. Who supposedly is out to prove he is the best back in the NFL. Wont do it with those kind of numbers.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score

The Oline has regressed. Zeke is fine.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Because by doing that, one would be "targeting" only one young player when in fact the Cowboys are a very young team with many young players who are going through a transition by adapting to each other and the coaching staff.

And the Oline deficiencies. Nailed it.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Elliot is the least of this teams problems ...

Barkley may have all the moves, but Zeke was the far more useful back ... That 8-minute 4th quarter drive, you do realize by Zeke pounding the rock at the Giants D for 3 quarters did contribute just a little to that 4th quarter drive. I do not see Barkley wearing down defenses the way Zeke can...

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
I like how they are making an effort to get the ball to Barkley as much as they can. Especially in the passing game. Something we don't do enough of here.
They did that out of necessity. Eli was scared to death as the game went on and wanted to dump it off ASAP so he wouldn't get hit anymore.

Daillest88

Reaction score
Lmao guess you didn’t see zeke run through all those tackles? He turned a few big negative yard plays into positive yardage

Carter

Reaction score
We have freaking Looney and a Rookie on the Inside and a regressing Tyron Smith and you want to blame Zeke. Add to that two of the best Run Defenses in the League we played so far.

Zeke is just fine. He still has the Vision and the Playmaking Ability to get Yards without space. The only think they Need to do is add him more into the passing game.

So far Barkley didnt impress me. He had what? 28 Yards on the Ground yesterday. Without that 65 Yard TD Run in Game 1 he didnt do anything there either.

He will be a great back but its not like Zeke has to hide behind this guy.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
They did that out of necessity. Eli was scared to death as the game went on and wanted to dump it off ASAP so he wouldn't get hit anymore.

True, but Barkley is always out there as an outlet available. Not always the case with zeke.