Zeke and Barkley, has he regressed?

irving

Reaction score
The offensive line is trash! Everybody is getting beat now because you have 2 under par linemen in Collins and Williams.
You hit on the head, the offensive line has regressed, that’s why Zeke doesn’t appear to be the same. He’s being met in the hole, or before he gets out of the backfield. Fact is I’m more impressed than ever with Zeke, because he’s not getting a lot of help from the o line. Some might say Dak improving his passing game, will help Zeke, true. However the Dallas rushing attack was built around the o line, not Daks passing ability.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Two underwhelming games by Zeke. I don't see anyone talking about how he has regressed or that we need to go get a RB in the first round next year.

You can see with Barkely that they are making the effort to design the entire offense around him. When you use a top 5 pick on a RB, that's exactly what you better do. Not much running lanes, but he caught 13 passes yesterday in an effort to do whatever they could to get the kid involved.

With Zeke all I really see is runs up the middle with no creativity. A couple passes here and there.
lol he had a 4.6 ypc in the last game and his longest run was 20, so it's not like the average is bloated by some 60 yard run
the problem is the playcalling and to even suggest we would waste a 1st round pick on a rb in the next round is beyond preposterous

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You have quite a few posts, so I am dumfounded on your statement. Are we running the Giants or Cowboys playbook? Zeke is doing fine with his assignments.

If Zeke had the same stats as Barkley in a loss, I believe you would lead the charge in how he sucks. We all see the potential in Barkley, but comparing him to Zeke at this point is asinine.

You haven't even figured out what this thread is about yet. You still think I think Zeke has regressed when my point is the complete opposite.

Cap12

Reaction score
You hit on the head, the offensive line has regressed, that’s why Zeke doesn’t appear to be the same. He’s being met in the hole, or before he gets out of the backfield. Fact is I’m more impressed than ever with Zeke, because he’s not getting a lot of help from the o line. Some might say Dak improving his passing game, will help Zeke, true. However the Dallas rushing attack was built around the o line, not Daks passing ability.
O-line not regressed. Just playing with a backup and a rookie. Collins and Smith have to do a better job avoiding penalties on the outside.Give the line some time to gel. They actually outplayed Dak week one, as he just missed seeing or throwing to open receivers all game. Dak played better week 2 and so did the line.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
lol he had a 4.6 ypc in the last game and his longest run was 20, so it's not like the average is bloated by some 60 yard run
the problem is the playcalling and to even suggest we would waste a 1st round pick on a rb in the next round is beyond preposterous

I completely agree on both points. Almost as funny as saying that Dak has regressed and that we need to take another Qb in the first round.

irving

Reaction score
NO you nailed it. And I would say the same things to people claiming Dak has regressed. I think Barkley looked amazing. Hard to see it though if your not watching. But he will never put up big numbers behind that Oline.
Not to sound redundant, but you both nailed it. Dallas was built around a dominating o line. A o line that has regressed and has been handled by two pretty good d lines. It’s not rocket science, Dak and Zeke looked great when the o line was dominating.

uvaballa

Reaction score
Zeke only player on offense who gets tons of excuses from fans. The other players playing with same oline, TEs, WRs.

Cap12

Reaction score
You haven't even figured out what this thread is about yet. You still think I think Zeke has regressed when my point is the complete opposite.
I hear you, but it was a really dumb thread name. I would have gone with "You Bozos really think that Zeke has regressed?" or something like that, lol.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
He was never as good as this place wants him to be. He is a really good runner who was behind a great offensive line in 2016 and 2017.

He's Lesean McCoy level talent as a runner, which isn't a bad thing - top 5? Heck no. Frankly, if this season goes down the drain, I'd toss him on the trade block.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Not to sound redundant, but you both nailed it. Dallas was built around a dominating o line. A o line that has regressed and has been handled by two pretty good d lines. It’s not rocket science, Dak and Zeke looked great when the o line was dominating.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Zeke needs to get more touches. He does look a little slower this year.

Barkley made a ton of guys miss last night. Hard to compare since his oline is trash.

I thought they were about neutral last night.

I think he looks slightly faster, probably due to being in a bit better shape (still don't think he looks like his 2016 self)

Barkley is a different RB, he's just a good runner that a lot of potential as being a great receiver.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I hear you, but it was a really dumb thread name. I would have gone with "You Bozos really think that Zeke has regressed?" or something like that, lol.

It was supposed to be dumb. And it got the exact response I was looking for. I also haven't heard anyone say that Zeke has regressed. The point is that you hear that about Dak all the time.

kumizi

Reaction score
Zeke still looks great getting the tough yards.

I do wonder just a little bit if he's playing heavier than he was as a rookie. He looks slightly less explosive to the eye test. Might be by design since the Cowboys dont really have any good backups RBs and he knows he is going to see a heavy load.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think he looks slightly faster, probably due to being in a bit better shape (still don't think he looks like his 2016 self)

Barkley is a different RB, he's just a good runner that a lot of potential as being a great receiver.

Barkley is a complete stud. speed, power, moves, catching, he has it all.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

You are right, I missed the point. It was not clearly stated, although reading it again I can sense a bit of ridicule.

reddyuta

Reaction score
apart from Zack Martin we are not getting even pro bowl worth play from the other starters,in his first year Zeke saw gigantic holes but now they are non existent or minuscule .

Cap12

Reaction score
Zeke only player on offense who gets tons of excuses from fans. The other players playing with same oline, TEs, WRs.
Big difference between pass blocking and run blocking against stacked fronts. You seem to think that all situations are equal and they aren't. The reason we lost to Carolina was mostly due to Dak's inablity to take advantage of some of the looks he was getting beause Zeke had little daylight.

If people are defending Zeke it's only because of comments like this one attacking him.

uvaballa

Reaction score
It was supposed to be dumb. And it got the exact response I was looking for. I also haven't heard anyone say that Zeke has regressed. The point is that you hear that about Dak all the time.
Zeke just doesn’t look as good as he did with a dominant Oline. That makes sense but he’s not as good as many thought he would be in 2016.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You are right, I missed the point. It was not clearly stated, although reading it again I can sense a bit of ridicule.

We are in complete agreement. But Zeke goes as the Oline goes. As does Dak. Although I freely admit Zeke is better at his position that Dak is.

Cap12

Reaction score
apart from Zack Martin we are not getting even pro bowl worth play from the other starters,in his first year Zeke saw gigantic holes but now they are non existent or minuscule .
Due to injuries and a rookie, the line is not cohesive yet. Give it a couple more games before you make comments like that.