Twitter: Zeke lawyers file for stay on suspension

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
As soon as the arbitrator submits his conclusion/decision, the NFL files some BS motion with the NY court to basically confirm/validate the arbitration. It's all part of this lousy legal game that they play. And of course they have the advantage of filing at the court of their choice because they know EXACTLY WHEN the arbitrator makes his ruling (since he's an NFL employee).

Elliott's team tried to "beat" the NFL by filing in Texas after the arbitration hearing was over, but before the arbitrator made his "official" ruling. This maneuver ultimately failed.

The icing on the cake was when it became known that the presiding judge is married to a lawyer that was employed by the NFL to help craft/negotiate the current CBA.

Just unreal.
Thanks. Yeah that’s what I was confused about. The motion to confirm. Seems odd that they have to validate the decision.

It’s clear they have the system fully rigged to their advantage.

EST_1986

Reaction score
Soooo should we hear anything soon or whats the time table on the 2nd Circuit Appeal

Ghost12

Reaction score
What exactly is the nfl filing? A challenge to the ruling by the nfl that hasn’t yet been made by Zeke’s team?

I’m not understanding that part of the process. What exactly is the nfl filing first?
As soon as the arbitrator rendered his decision, the NFL filed a “Motion to Confirm”. It was their way of getting a court to agree with the arbitrator’s ruling, and their way of controlling the venue in whic this whole argument is heard.

Yes it is sleazy and no it is not fair since the NFL knows when the arbitrator will issue the ruling.

Ghost12

Reaction score
Easy to say that when you've never been in that situation.
Just keeping it real. Do you honestly believe the people who think he is guilty are going to throw up their arms and change their mind based on some NY court saying the arbitration process was fundamentally unfair?

What I say is 100% true: people will believe what they want to believe and no court ruling is going to change their minds.

links18

Reaction score
As soon as the arbitrator rendered his decision, the NFL filed a “Motion to Confirm”. It was their way of getting a court to agree with the arbitrator’s ruling, and their way of controlling the venue in whic this whole argument is heard.

Yes it is sleazy and no it is not fair since the NFL knows when the arbitrator will issue the ruling.

Of course, the entire court confirmation of the arbitral decision thing that allows the employer to control the venue is sanctioned by federal labor law. Thank Congress for that one.

HanD

Reaction score

they are asking for CA2 to expedite and hope by friday evening but who knows for sure how long it will take....

Grevus

Reaction score
and when the so called justice system is not even close to what it was supposed to do. IF the system was good it would have declared this whole thing illegal.

I would really love to confront this last judge and ask this:

"So, your Honor since you state that the CBA is everything that means that if someone voluntarily signs up to be a slave as long as its part of the CBA you have no problem with that?"

Unfortunately, that seems to be the case.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
He's not training so they are preparing as he's currently suspended.
That is kind of a no-brainer. But the way a lot of this has been treated week to week with guarded optimism, you never know. He was gone a few days last time, then popped right back in.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
Just get it over with already before we go into next year.

There are more important issues with regards to this situation then this football team. We're talking about a man's name here. Anyone in Zeke's shoes would do the same especially if they were truly innocent.

What the NFL has done here is disgusting. They'd rather destroy a person's good name for the sake of PR then admit they jumped the gun and may have made a mistake. We shouldn't be surprised, though. They've a history of doing such things.

2much2soon

Reaction score
Heard some espn radio voices mention the Elliot case this morning and the judge being married to the lawyer involved with drafting the CBA. I heard them say "conflict of interest" and (under one of their voices) something like "who got paid in this deal" or words to that affect.
I mostly avoid espn but this wasn't the locals so it had to have been a national espn radio show.

Alexander

Reaction score
What the NFL has done here is disgusting. They'd rather destroy a person's good name for the sake of PR then admit they jumped the gun and may have made a mistake. We shouldn't be surprised, though. They've a history of doing such things.

No one smart can say the NFL is fair or ethical. It is perhaps the most hardline heartless business of all the major sports. Always has been, always will be.

Alexander

Reaction score
Heard some espn radio voices mention the Elliot case this morning and the judge being married to the lawyer involved with drafting the CBA. I heard them say "conflict of interest" and (under one of their voices) something like "who got paid in this deal" or words to that affect.
I mostly avoid espn but this wasn't the locals so it had to have been a national espn radio show.
It is a small pesky piece that is irrelevant in this case. It is not about fairness or even proper common sense.

Even blatant corruption is trumped by the language of the CBA. A simple black or white thing. Everything else is noise, no matter how compelling.

mardwin

Reaction score
No one smart can say the NFL is fair or ethical. It is perhaps the most hardline heartless business of all the major sports. Always has been, always will be.

Until the players are willing to sacrifice. Nobody is going to watch the NFL with replacement players like they did in the 80s, people have a lot of options right now when it comes to entertainment.

Alexander

Reaction score
Until the players are willing to sacrifice. Nobody is going to watch the NFL with replacement players like they did in the 80s, people have a lot of options right now when it comes to entertainment.

But there is money involved and players have to "feed their families".

I don't have a lot of sympathy for the players though. They negotiate bad deals for themselves and they should know the league is a corporate machine that will not stop until their revenues are threatened. They are not smart enough to negotiate harder. They would rather just complain about injustices that they themselves have aided all along.

I honestly would wonder if ownership would go the replacement route again if the players got some guts, grew a pair and sacrificed for what they say they believe in. They probably will try, just like they did with the joke replacement officials. Conceding power is always a nuclear option for them because they think they are the biggest baddest entertainment vehicle in the country and they are used to getting their own way.

It is going to come to a head though if all of this continues as is.

Down the road, the owners will eventually have to understand that the demographics of the fan base is only going to expand laterally so much. They are more consumed about getting more diversified with the fan base but that is not going to help it if the TV money goes down. There are only so many extra female and European viewers they can attract to make up the difference with what is likely to be lost if they don't recognize it and quick.

MeTed

Reaction score
and when the so called justice system is not even close to what it was supposed to do. IF the system was good it would have declared this whole thing illegal.

I would really love to confront this last judge and ask this:

"So, your Honor since you state that the CBA is everything that means that if someone voluntarily signs up to be a slave as long as its part of the CBA you have no problem with that?"

It is not surprising that the court's scope is "narrow." However, this judge slammed the door leaving little, if any, possibility for court intervention. My question to the judge would be: what criterion meets the definition of narrow?

Ghost12

Reaction score
Of course, the entire court confirmation of the arbitral decision thing that allows the employer to control the venue is sanctioned by federal labor law. Thank Congress for that one.
Well, it's not an epic fail in most industries - or even other sports - the way it is in the NFL. The very nature of arbitration is such that the arbitrator is (theoretically) neutral. The very notion that 2 parties can disagree over something and 1 party gets to unilaterally choose the arbitrator is absurd, yet that's what we have here.