Twitter: Zeke lawyers file for stay on suspension

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
There are more important issues with regards to this situation then this football team. We're talking about a man's name here. Anyone in Zeke's shoes would do the same especially if they were truly innocent.

What the NFL has done here is disgusting. They'd rather destroy a person's good name for the sake of PR then admit they jumped the gun and may have made a mistake. We shouldn't be surprised, though. They've a history of doing such things.

It is mind blowing how many times this has to be said. I swear I feel like we live in the Twilight Zone...

CapnCook

Reaction score
Absolutely nothing, and you have stated a huge part of the problem. I believe the court can not say "We overturn the suspension and forbid you from suspending him." What they can say is "We overturn the suspension and order you to provide Elliott with a new hearing."

At that point, we simply return to square 1 where Goodell gets to choose the arbitrator (including choosing himself if he wants). Maybe the league would simply let it go.... or, if they wanted, they would do the hearing process all over again, tweak a few things to address the "fundamental fairness" concerns, and then come to the same pre-determined conclusion.

In the long run, this really was the "best case" scenario. The NFL was going to get their suspension one way or another. The fix was in from the beginning and there was nothing that could undo it, save a major precedent changing the fundamental course of labor relations in this country.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I still think he has a very strong argument with regards to irreparable harm, so I give him a fighter's chance of getting the injunction restored. However, I believe he ultimately loses in the long run.
To me, a win was getting the trial pushed to the Spring with an injunction ......that would put pressure on the NFL to offer a settlement which was always best case scenario......people forget that if he "Wins" the League will just be ordered to re-try him or to settle if possible

A 2 game suspension with no admission of DV would be the most fair for everyone..... NFL saves face and the story goes away....... Zeke misses a fortnight but doesn't face banishment

For what it is worth it seems that the number of DV incidents have declined dramatically.......which was the goal of the attack on Elliott/Hardy/Rice........ so the NFL is happy with themselves

Kevinicus

Reaction score
For what it is worth it seems that the number of DV incidents have declined dramatically.......which was the goal of the attack on Elliott/Hardy/Rice........ so the NFL is happy with themselves

Has it? I never really noticed that many before.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
ESPN just ran a banner that said NFLPA officially filed the emergency appeal with CA2

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
The 2nd circuit says they will get to it when they get to it, now sit down and zip it

Zeke has about as much chance of winning in a NY court as the Browns have of winning the SB.

LOL

I don't believe there is are any statistical odds known to man that have the Browns winning the Super Bowl. What I am trying to say is the numbers have not been invented as yet to factor that possibility.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I never really understood why the first judge was not allowed to rule on the PI and that he could only do the TRO. He was definitely the one Zeke would need ruling on it. Why is her opinion on the matter more forceful than his?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
i can't speak for Zeke, but if it's my reputation on the line I'm putting that above the team

football is not forever

This is a true statement. Neither are Football Contract Paychecks. That is something to be considered as well. Reputation is one thing but at some point, you gotta seriously consider your financial well being. He has lost, just as many said he would. He is throwing very, very good money after bad at this point. I think he just needs to cut his losses and move on.

JMO

links18

Reaction score
I never really understood why the first judge was not allowed to rule on the PI and that he could only do the TRO. He was definitely the one Zeke would need ruling on it. Why is her opinion on the matter more forceful than his?

Because she was the assigned trial judge, but yeah at the very least she could have given some deference to her colleagues and left the restraining order in place until trial, but nope.

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
It is mind blowing how many times this has to be said. I swear I feel like we live in the Twilight Zone...
Exactly, if they suspended him for six games for 'personal conduct', I can see their point (in just taking the suspension). But he NFL wanted to advertise to the world that this was about a tough stance on abuse against women, and they decided to make Zeke the target. But decided to ignore this approach for Josh Brown.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
This is a true statement. Neither are Football Contract Paychecks. That is something to be considered as well. Reputation is one thing but at some point, you gotta seriously consider your financial well being. He has lost, just as many said he would. He is throwing very, very good money after bad at this point. I think he just needs to cut his losses and move on.

JMO

What money is he throwing away? Isn't the NFLPA footing the bill?

Even so, wouldn't you have to equate "loss revenue (lifetime endorsements) vs legal fees". I would guess the endorsements out weigh the legal fees.