Zeke or Barkley? Who was the better prospect

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
While we're talking top RBs, here is a fun tool that you can use to compare real in-game speed of different NFL players.

http://airyards.com/gamespeed.html

Set the position you're comparing to RB instead of the WR default, add Zeke in, then try plugging in a few other names.

He's a little faster than some other top backs like Kareem Hunt and Le'Veon Bell, but compared to the top prospects of recent years like Gurley and Leonard Fournette, he's a step behind. It will be really interesting to see where Saquon slots in here as well.

Speaking of Fournette, he is one scary dude. He plays at 240 and is STILL probably the fastest halfback in the NFL. Seriously - plug him into the graph. If his ankle quits bothering him, he is going to be a freaking terror.
I like this video

Proof

Reaction score
I read and read and reread MO's scouting report, and it still read like a 3rd round prospect. I couldn't/can't for the life of me see why he was rated so high. I absolutely do not think he was a better prospect, even though the scouts claimed he was.

Well it certainly panned out opposite so not worth rehashing. Dude single handedly set the team back a few years.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Yep. Makes Giants I believe the most improved team in division if they can protect Eli.

If NY has any kind of defense Barkley could do for Eli what Terrell Davis did for Elway.
Minus that whole "you need an O line" thing you were going on and on about.

HungryLion

Reaction score
At the end of the day, this is like arguing who was the better prospect? Peyton Manning or John Elway?

The fact we are even having this discussion about our RB is a great thing.

Zeke is tied for the best player on the team with Tyron Smith. IMO.

Them

Reaction score
...Zeke had a pretty good first season...Barley has a goal now...Let the new season begin!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I used to simply discount out of hand when people would claim crooked reffing. Thought fans were just being fans. However, then I started noticing some crapp. Some really blatant calls at key times. I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any definition, but man, the calls in that game favoring NE were absolutely disgusting.
Yes, that does make it hard not to think there's not something going on.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They both are Barkley is gonna be good I just wish he was gonna be good somewhere else
This kid is a beast
7cb25dd0c1bd3a93108f3239a18938e5
And that guy in the pic has amazing agility and balance to be that size. He's got a lower body like Earl Campbell, tree trunks for legs. However, he still needs holes to go through like all of them do.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
As others have said, I think the difference is that Ohio State Zeke was running behind a line of some absolute freaking hogs, while Barkley had a really mediocre OL in front of him. I mean, just look at that Sugar Bowl he had against Alabama. Alabama had eight guys on that front seven that ultimately went in the first 2 rounds of the draft, and Ohio State pounded the crap out of them.

Barkley likes to bounce it, but I don't think it's as big of an issue as some are making it. Part of it's because he could - he was a freaking 99th percentile NFL athlete stuck up against college players, - and part of it is that he was The Guy for Penn State's offense, and he pretty much knew it was all up to him to make plays. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he's a much better inside runner in the NFL than people are expecting.

Anyway, Zeke and Barkley were both blue-chip studs as prospects, and it's tough to sort between them. With Barkley, what you see is what you get - an 99th% athlete who's drawn comparisons to a 230 pound Barry Sanders and Marshall Faulk. Zeke is a little different, because he wins in ways that aren't as easily quantifiable as a 4.40 40 or a 41" vertical jump. As Brett Kollmann said "he's not elite in any one area, except maybe strength". But whereas Barkley constantly tried to use his athleticism to hit home runs, Zeke's goal is to get positive yardage on every play, and he gets there through a combination of vision, power, smarts, and endurance that don't show up on a Combine drill.

Watch the end of the second Washington game, where Zeke ultimately took 33 carries. Start at 1:56.

We were holding a one-score lead and looking to burn clock to put the game away. Zeke was at ~25 touches and was starting to gas out - he had noticeably lost a step, but the defense had too. And he was STILL banging away on those guys - hitting cutbacks, dragging tacklers, and just creating positive play after positive play. There was one play in there at 2:24 where the Cowboys wanted to run a left-side stretch, but the NT jumped the play, slashed inside and put Frederick on skates. Zeke's looking at the edge (as RBs are coached to do on zone runs), but once he sees #71's big butt coming at him, he immediately cuts back into the hole the NT had left and gets 4 yards. This guy's on his 30th carry, and even when you blow up the play, he's still improvising for positive yardage. How do you stop him?

Cause of Zeke's dominant 4th quarter rushing, we were able to put that game away and get the W. That's how he wins you football games.

We'll see what Barkley's got in him - I'm seriously expecting a Kamara type impact as a rookie, and maybe a Todd Gurley kind of player long term (that's personally my comp for him). But I'm more than happy with Zeke.

ezekiel-elliott-092516-getty-ftr-usjpg_2nj0hp8bw45x1wvz14logdxro.jpg

Zeke left this guy grabbing air

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Barkley was the better prospect, hands down.

That means little in terms of how good he is going to be.

Barkley had people falling all over him at the Combine, he posted huge numbers.

It does not mean a whole lot.

In my mind, Elliott had a better college career and shows more elite running traits.

This is one of those wait and see things, but I don't think Barkley will be nearly the Greek God he was sold to be as a prospect.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Barkley is more hyped not sure better but hes supposed to be Rbush and Zeke all rolled into one, its going to be hard to live up to that and being 2nd overall when they will need a QB soon.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Ok youngun. Barry Sanders, Walter Payton (Notoriously bad OL), Jim Brown, Bo Jackson, Tony Dorsett (Our line wasn't great then. Adequate, not great), OJ Simpson, (First ever to gained 2,000 yards in a season. Was his line the best ever? not even close) Terrell Davis (Another 2,000 yard in a season runner with an average OL) Eric Dickerson (still holds the season rushing yardage. Great OL? NOPE), Jamall Lewis (2,000 yard rusher in Baltimore? OL must be gods.....) Adrian Peterson, (Vikings must have had the best OL.....) or what about Chris Johnson? The Titans had the best OL right? Wrong again.

Fact is, all of the 2,000 yard rushers had average to poor OL. None of them had the street cred that Dallas had in the 90's or today.

Point is, GREAT RB's get it done in the NFL regardless of their OL play. They will never allow the play of the OL to be an excuse for them. That is saved for the jag RB's.

All of what you posted is opinion based. You have absolutely nothing to back it up. You named a few backs that had good to above average olines during certain periods of their careers. No one said they were the best, but they definitely weren't bad lines.

If you watch a few documentaries about some of those teams, you will find that they had good lineman. Some of the lineman testify to their own abilities. The Cowboy lines have not been as great as the hype, nor has other backs been crippled by these fantasy bad lines.

Street cred is just like any other perception; in the eye of the beholder. Your hyperbole was over the top. Throughout history there have been periods of lineman play that stood out, but could not be sustained.

Instead of making statements of opinion, get me facts. I believe you will be surprised of how many of those poor backs played behind decent lines. There have been many lines who graded better than Dallas, they just didn't emphasize the run game, or have a back that could exceed.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He didn't say no lines, he said great ones. Sanders and Sweetness to name two but more teams played with a FB back then too and TE was more of a blocking gig.

Then there's the debate, who makes who, the RB or the OL?

Why do Dallas fans believe what they hear instead of what they see on the field. If anyone considers this line to be great, I am throwing an all expenses paid trip to the Superbowl this year for ALL Cowboy fans, because this team is winning it all this year.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Barkley was the better prospect, hands down.

That means little in terms of how good he is going to be.

Barkley had people falling all over him at the Combine, he posted huge numbers.

It does not mean a whole lot.

In my mind, Elliott had a better college career and shows more elite running traits.

This is one of those wait and see things, but I don't think Barkley will be nearly the Greek God he was sold to be as a prospect.

I am a Penn State alumni. But I hope Barkley sucks in the NFL. Lol. We shall see.

aria

Reaction score
Behind the same O line I think they would both be equally successful but have different strengths and weaknesses. Although slightly improved, I don’t think the Giants O line will be anywhere close to good enough to help Barkley achieve the same numbers as Zeke.

Totall irrelevant but personality wise I love Barkley. The guy seems like a genuinely good dude. Although I don’t wish him success with the Gnats, I hope he has a great career and keeps his humble mentality.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Barkley wouldn’t have dominated Alabama in the Sugar Bowl like Zeke did. Barkley also disappeared the latter part of the season last year. Give me Zeke all day long.
why? Zeke was 5 yards downfield before being touched the whole game, that was a masterpiece of an offensive game plan.