Zeke or Jalen Ramsey 2 years later

Sydla

Reaction score
Ramsey would still be the pick for me. We’ve seen this team run the ball just as good with Zeke out. The defense still sucks. Ramsey and Miles Jack picks would have been huge for this team.

This is in no way a defense of Jaylon Smith. But people are looking at Jack thinking he'd solve our LB issues. He'd definitely be better than Smith but let's note that Jack was benched his rookie year after they realized he couldn't play the WILL. Then before his 2nd year, they gave him the MIKE job and he struggled so they had to insert Pozluzny back into the MIKE role and moved Jack to SAM. Jack plays the SAM and in their nickel D.

Certainly, he'd be better than what we've gotten out of Smith, but I think people are mistakenly thinking he'd solve our MIKE situation. Frankly, in that draft, instead of Smith we should have taken maybe Hunter Henry.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Ramsey certainly isn't lacking confidence, and isn't afraid to poke the bear in New England.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
This is in no way a defense of Jaylon Smith. But people are looking at Jack thinking he'd solve our LB issues. He'd definitely be better than Smith but let's note that Jack was benched his rookie year after they realized he couldn't play the WILL. Then before his 2nd year, they gave him the MIKE job and he struggled so they had to insert Pozluzny back into the MIKE role and moved Jack to SAM. Jack plays the SAM and in their nickel D.

Certainly, he'd be better than what we've gotten out of Smith, but I think people are mistakenly thinking he'd solve our MIKE situation. Frankly, in that draft, instead of Smith we should have taken maybe Hunter Henry.
It really is a shame how much a screw-up Ro McClain is ...... he was the perfect MIKE

lk8701

Reaction score
Zeke over Ramsey and Maliek Collins over Yannick Ngakoue. Terrible!

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ramsey would still be the pick for me. We’ve seen this team run the ball just as good with Zeke out. The defense still sucks. Ramsey and Miles Jack picks would have been huge for this team.

Myles Jack only had 9 more total tackles than Jaylon Smith despite starting 10 more games, and despite Jaylon having to get used to playing with a brace, and having to dust off the rust from over a year of not playing football. And Jack didn't do much as a rookie, so we didn't really miss out much last year even though Jaylon didn't play. The trend seems to be toward Jaylon becoming the better player.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zeke over Ramsey and Maliek Collins over Yannick Ngakoue. Terrible!

Ramsey wouldn't have been a bad pick, but clearly there was some logic for a team who's offense is so dependent on the running game to take a RB, so it's nonsense to act as if there is no foundation for picking Zeke. As for Ngakoue, that's some mighty nice hindsight you've got there. Every team had to pass on him at least twice for him to have lasted until the 3rd round. Do you think that would have happened had all those teams known he would be the player in the NFL he has been? The fact is every team can look at every draft with the benefit of hindsight and find players they wish they had taken, but that's just the nature of the draft. It isn't an exact science.

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
Myles Jack only had 9 more total tackles than Jaylon Smith despite starting 10 more games, and despite Jaylon having to get used to playing with a brace, and having to dust off the rust from over a year of not playing football. And Jack didn't do much as a rookie, so we didn't really miss out much last year even though Jaylon didn't play. The trend seems to be toward Jaylon becoming the better player.

And again, Jack isn't even playing MLB for them. I think some fans here think that we should have taken Jack and he'd have solved our MLB issues. Based on what has happened in Jax, I am not sure that's a safe assumption to make.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
He’s probably already the greatest Jaguar of all time, I think he has the talent to be an all time great. Not that Zeke doesn’t.
Ty! This notion that Zeke should not have been picked is f-ing stupid. Both are great players at their respective positions.

Out secondary will be much improved next year!

Portnoy1

Reaction score
Ramsey wouldn't have been a bad pick, but clearly there was some logic for a team who's offense is so dependent on the running game to take a RB, so it's nonsense to act as if there is no foundation for picking Zeke. As for Ngakoue, that's some mighty nice hindsight you've got there. Every team had to pass on him at least twice for him to have lasted until the 3rd round. Do you think that would have happened had all those teams known he would be the player in the NFL he has been? The fact is every team can look at every draft with the benefit of hindsight and find players they wish they had taken, but that's just the nature of the draft. It isn't an exact science.
In regards to Nkagoue, the scouts say he is a designated pass rush guy. The Cowboys needed pressure PERIOD. He could've provided that. The issue is not NGAKOUE in the 3rd. It's Jaylon in the 2nd. If they drafted A'Shawn or Jarran Reed in the 2nd then you have run stuffing 1T and someone to take pressure off Crawford at the 3T spot then you take a chance on Yannick in 3rd. Instead they draft Maliek and move Crawford everywhere.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In regards to Nkagoue, the scouts say he is a designated pass rush guy. The Cowboys needed pressure PERIOD. He could've provided that. The issue is not NGAKOUE in the 3rd. It's Jaylon in the 2nd. If they drafted A'Shawn or Jarran Reed in the 2nd then you have run stuffing 1T and someone to take pressure off Crawford at the 3T spot then you take a chance on Yannick in 3rd. Instead they draft Maliek and move Crawford everywhere.

Lots of guys come out of college with the tag of being limited to being pass rushers only, but that doesn't necessarily mean they get 12 sacks in their second season ,,, or ever for that matter. The thing is, even if he was only considered a pass rusher, if NFL teams thought of him as a 12 sack a season guy he wouldn't have lasted until the 3rd round.

In any case, I'm not real big on these hindsight discussions. It's easy to come up with the best scenarios that way.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Just remember the jags didn't goto the playoffs after selecting ramsey. They went to the playoffs when they got fournette. While ramsey does help them they still gave up 42 points to a good offensive team and if not for fournetts 17 carry 85 yards and 2 td's in the 1st half they likely lose this weekend.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Some fans believe we can have an ALL PRO at every position and it is never going to happen. Some will complain about certain players forever, fact is less than half of all draft picks make in the NFL. Teams get lucky with those 6th and 7th round picks and the undrafted. Sometime a coach sees something that a scout doesn't as in Tom Brady, sometimes what they see turns to crap also. Everyone has opinion and that is absolutely great because we should care. For me, I glad with took Zeke and Collins and J. Smith. My belief is they were the right choices for what the team was trying to do. Collins is one of the best 1 tech guys in the league. Smith was a risk which is starting to pay off although next year will be key for him. Jack is a SAM LB and doing well what we hoped Wilson or Wilbur would become.

We can argue Zeke or Ramsey all year long but I wonder if Zeke gains 2000+ yards next year and we ride him to the Super Bowl, then what will fans think. And Ramsey, going to be interesting on how Brady attacks him, oh, and he will, so we will see how he holds up to one of the best ever.

75boyz

Reaction score
Fournette had a lot more big play yesterday

Looks like he was a great pick at #4 in the Draft

The JAX secondary got torched for 42 pts and three long TD bombs on 4th and long
Surprised nobody has countered this Ramsey/Zeke debate with yesterday's game performance of "Ramsey vs. Fournette" and each performance's impact on the game's outcome.

Or maybe someone already has made this point, I admit I didn't scroll through every thread so if someone pointed this out.

My opinion is Jacksonville doesn't win with Yeldon running the rock but may still win without Ramsey but it is definitely debatable so I can see both sides of the argument.

Last edited:

Portnoy1

Reaction score
Some fans believe we can have an ALL PRO at every position and it is never going to happen. Some will complain about certain players forever, fact is less than half of all draft picks make in the NFL. Teams get lucky with those 6th and 7th round picks and the undrafted. Sometime a coach sees something that a scout doesn't as in Tom Brady, sometimes what they see turns to crap also. Everyone has opinion and that is absolutely great because we should care. For me, I glad with took Zeke and Collins and J. Smith. My belief is they were the right choices for what the team was trying to do. Collins is one of the best 1 tech guys in the league. Smith was a risk which is starting to pay off although next year will be key for him. Jack is a SAM LB and doing well what we hoped Wilson or Wilbur would become.

We can argue Zeke or Ramsey all year long but I wonder if Zeke gains 2000+ yards next year and we ride him to the Super Bowl, then what will fans think. And Ramsey, going to be interesting on how Brady attacks him, oh, and he will, so we will see how he holds up to one of the best ever.
Collins is a bad 1T, as in he is not good.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Surprised nobody has countered this Ramsey/Zeke debate with yesterday's game performance of "Ramsey vs. Fournette" and each performance's impact on the game's outcome.

Or maybe someone already has made this point, I admit I didn't scroll through every thread so if someone pointed this out.

My opinion is Jacksonville doesn't win with Yeldon running the rock but may still win without Ramsey but it is definitely debatable so I can see both sides of the argument.
Fournette missed the Colts game. Jacksonville RBs ran for 177 yards in that game, and won 27-0.
He missed the Bengals game. They ran for 129 yards in that one and won 23-7.
He missed the Houston game. They ran for 138 yards in that one and won 45-7.

Of course, when you're blowing teams out as they did in all those games, you're racking up rushing yardage late. But Jacksonville's running game is more than just Fournette, just as their defense is more than just Ramsey.

(I think Elliott was a pretty good pick in the draft, but Ramsey would have been a better pick, just for the record.)