Zeke to attend hearing in Texas today per Schefter

AmericasTeam81

Reaction score
Your mostly right here. What has been suggested is they make back away from DV all together and make it two games for conduct unbecoming an NFL employee for the incident where he pulled down the girls top at a St Patty's Day Parade.

Well, I would consider that moving the goalpost. Arbitrary, capricious, and unreasonable?

erod

Reaction score
I think Kessler filed for today's hearing to ENSURE Zeke plays on Sunday against the Giants, one way or the other.

I now suspect Henderson will wait until tomorrow to make this afternoon's hearing null.

JBS

Reaction score
By Friday.

Henderson has to rule today by 3 pm (I think) to suspend Zeke for Sunday's game. Otherwise, the suspension would not start until Week 2.

Right..by the sound of everything..worst case scenario is Zeke plays Sunday and then misses games..doesn't sound like the nfls ruling is coming prior to today's deadline

Zordon

Reaction score
Hopefully this is resolved soon. This lingering into a game week when the incident happened over a year ago is unacceptable.
Nice that this needed to spill over into the regular season. Thanks, NFL, for being so on top of everything.
It's really sickening when you think about it.

But hey, I'm sure this what Friel wanted all along. Suspension or at the very least distraction.

Plankton

Reaction score
I can't see how Elliott is going to be focused to play a game this weekend with all of this swirling around.

Even if the suspension is wiped out, reduced or delayed, the Giants will face a less than 100% focused Elliott, which is a win for them.

erod

Reaction score
I can't see how Elliott is going to be focused to play a game this weekend with all of this swirling around.

Even if the suspension is wiped out, reduced or delayed, the Giants will face a less than 100% focused Elliott, which is a win for them.

I see it quite the opposite.

If he gets suspended for 4 games, but gets to play Sunday, the Giants are going to face one pent-up, angry running back that is looking to make a big statement before he goes into football jail.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It's a huge distraction. Week one might not be a big issue since they've had so much time to prepare for this game and Mara is sort of the poster boy for an unfair suspension. I'm hoping he goes off on them this week. But as the season goes on, this is the sort of thing that sucks at a team from week to week.

That said, the Pats overcame it. We have to find a way to do it, too. I'd love it if Garrett were able to use this internally to create an us-against-the-league mentality to get this season going.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I think Kessler filed for today's hearing to ENSURE Zeke plays on Sunday against the Giants, one way or the other.

I now suspect Henderson will wait until tomorrow to make this afternoon's hearing null.

It won't make it null. Kessler will just ask that it be postponed until Henderson rules. It will be portrayed as a dirty trick intended to steal the case from the current judge and give the NFL the inside track to preemptively filing their own lawsuit in NY just like they did to Brady. It could go either way. The judge certainly could side with the NFL and say Zeke needs to wait for the appeal ruling but it's not a slam dunk by any means. The judge will surely see it for what it is and isn't likely to very happy with the NFL playing games to get the case moved.

Cowboys22

Reaction score

They could also be facing a pissed off Zeke hell bent on making a statement.

links18

Reaction score
The NFL isn't a court room. Article 46 gives them the ability to do whatever they want internally. That was what the attorneys said this morning.

I think Zeke's REAL concern is that another false move would get him banned for a year, and it would void the guaranteed clause in his contract with the Cowboys. He wants this stricken so he's not in that position.

They cant do whatever they want. There has to be a fair process that doesn't have a predetermined outcome. Its a low bar, but there is a bar nonetheless.

erod

Reaction score
It won't make it null. Kessler will just ask that it be postponed until Henderson rules. It will be portrayed as a dirty trick intended to steal the case from the current judge and give the NFL the inside track to preemptively filing their own lawsuit in NY just like they did to Brady. It could go either way. The judge certainly could side with the NFL and say Zeke needs to wait for the appeal ruling but it's not a slam dunk by any means. The judge will surely see it for what it is and isn't likely to very happy with the NFL playing games to get the case moved.
I know this. My head hurts.

Our judicial system is totally junk.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
They cant do whatever they want. There has to be a fair process that doesn't have a predetermined outcome. Its a low bar, but there is a bar nonetheless.

Correct. There are labor laws that govern CBAs and the NFLs CBA has to adhere to those laws. One of the biggest issues within those labor laws deals with fair process. Goodell has the authority to suspend players up until a judge says they broke some law. That's what Zeke's lawyers have to show.

Sydla

Reaction score

I do not know enough about the law in that case, but I suspect the judge knows that this is just a trick by the NFL to allow them to quickly re-file in the Southern District. But union law may tie his hands here, who knows.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's in the hands of that Sherman judge.

However, if Henderson doesn't get his ruling in until tomorrow (which he might do to undermine the court appointment this afternoon in Sherman), then Zeke could play this weekend and the suspension wouldn't start until Week 2.

I continue to believe that the suspension will start in week NEVER.

:thumbup:

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Nice that this needed to spill over into the regular season. Thanks, NFL, for being so on top of everything.
I think that was a part of the NFL's plan all along...they could have announced the suspension earlier to allow this to play out well before now, but chose this route as just one more way to stick it to Zeke/Cowboys. There's no way I can be convinced that the NFL was gathering info right up to the point that they announced their decision...they spent over a year on this but probably had all the info after a few short months.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They may cite that, but then we shall see if Zeke files a " defamation of character" suit. Wonder how the NFL will respond to that. i.e. we can defame your character and get away with it under article 46..........

In other words, the justice system all citizens are subject to didn't do that to you, but we the mighty NFL can because of our labor agreement.....

Some fans want to point to article 46 and think it gives the NFL absolute power. They're wrong. There's no CBA or document that gives anyone the ability to overrule due process and an individual's Constitutional Rights. And if this thing isn't dropped, that's exactly what it will ultimately come to.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The worst thing about this mess...its going too go on and on and on.

As long as Justice is finally done and he doesn't serve any time under any farcical suspension, it can go on as long as they need to get there in my opinion.