Zeke to attend hearing in Texas today per Schefter

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
maybe the suspension gets reduced and he still fights it and plays. Then, since he is out of shape, he gets hurt, missing a month, then more with the suspension coming later. I could see this happening.

JBS

Reaction score
maybe the suspension gets reduced and he still fights it and plays. Then, since he is out of shape, he gets hurt, missing a month, then more with the suspension coming later. I could see this happening.

If he gets hurt..you drop the case and serve the suspension during the injury

DUH

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
You are completely off base. You can't compare Brady and this case against eachother. Zeke has a legitimate argument and the NFL is basically shown to have hidden or omitted evidence. The fact you can sit there and cite article 46 when the NFL has hidden evidence is laughable. For cripes sakes they hid a doctor lol.
Apparently, the NFL's doctor had said that he/she determined that the bruises occurred in a timeline consistent with the time she (alleged victim) and Zeke were together and that they came from injuries consistent with being abused. If I were a lawyer, I would put that doctor under cross examination (if this was an actual trial) and present about a half dozen photos of bruises and have that doctor tell me how old the bruises were and what caused them. There is no way in hell the doctor could determine that based on photos, but that's what that doctor did when working for the NFL.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I do not know enough about the law in that case, but I suspect the judge knows that this is just a trick by the NFL to allow them to quickly re-file in the Southern District. But union law may tie his hands here, who knows.

I don't want to claim that I know 100% but I suspect the judge can do whatever he wants. He could put the current case on hold until Henderson rules and say that the current case becomes active the moment a ruling is rendered, basically telling the NFL not to bother trying to file elsewhere because the case will be heard by him. If Henderson vacates the suspension, then Zeke's lawyers could simply withdraw their suit.

LandryFan

Reaction score
Please, someone correct me if I am wrong, but isn't a suspension under the domestic violence clause a mandatory 6 games. If so, what would be the possible justifications for reducing the suspension between 1-5 games? In my novice eyes regarding this matter, Mr. Henderson either upholds the suspension, or completely vacates the suspension.

Just curious as to how others see this.
As in the Josh Brown case, they could lengthen or reduce the number of games based on "mitigating circumstances", I believe. In Brown's case, there were circumstances that should have lengthened the suspension, but Friel chose to reduce it, instead...go figure.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
I can't see how Elliott is going to be focused to play a game this weekend with all of this swirling around.

Even if the suspension is wiped out, reduced or delayed, the Giants will face a less than 100% focused Elliott, which is a win for them.
I see your point, but kinda disagree. TT told Zeke she slept with Lucky sometime around either Brown's or Steelers game - that was around week 8 or 9 - and Zeke still had a monster year. He even sat out most of week 16 and all of week 17. In my mind if he played he would have broken Dickerson's record.

Zeke is mentally strong enough to overcome distractions. He's prove n that he can still play amidst whatever he has going on off the field.

LandryFan

Reaction score
So, the NFL wants to issue the ruling as soon as possible so that Zeke can't play this weekend. But they also want to wait until after the hearing, so that they can argue that the hearing is about an appeal decision that hasn't even happened yet.

Most likely, Henderson will announce 6 games at about 7pm.
Zeke could still fight that in court, it's just that he would likely have to fight it in a court of the NFL's choosing rather than one of his choosing. IMO, there's a true lack of fairness favoring the NFL in these things because they (and only they) know when a suspension will be announced, and they can file their legal claim in the court of their choosing before the player has the same opportunity (that's what they did in Brady's case). That's why Zeke's legal team filed when and where they did...a preemptive strike at the NFL.

robjay04

Reaction score

So basically the NFL is going to screw us.

Say Zeke is suspended tomorrow and can't play.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Zeke could still fight that in court, it's just that he would likely have to fight it in a court of the NFL's choosing rather than one of his choosing. IMO, there's a true lack of fairness favoring the NFL in these things because they (and only they) know when a suspension will be announced, and they can file their legal claim in the court of their choosing before the player has the same opportunity (that's what they did in Brady's case). That's why Zeke's legal team filed when and where they did...a preemptive strike at the NFL.

Not only that but if they wait until 7pm, then Zeke plays week 1 regardless and the NFL doesn't want that. The judge accepted the case and set a hearing knowing that the appeals process wasn't complete. That a good indication that that arguement will fail and the judge will just postpone the hearing until Henderson rules. The key is for the judge to keep the case open until Henderson rules.

Cowboys22

Reaction score

I don't think that's the case. The league has rules that govern eligibility and if Zeke is active per those rules, he is eligible.

LandryFan

Reaction score
Not only that but if they wait until 7pm, then Zeke plays week 1 regardless and the NFL doesn't want that. The judge accepted the case and set a hearing knowing that the appeals process wasn't complete. That a good indication that that arguement will fail and the judge will just postpone the hearing until Henderson rules. The key is for the judge to keep the case open until Henderson rules.
That possible outcome does exist. Here's to hoping the judge see it Zeke's way.

cowboys1985

Reaction score
Let's be real, no one here knows how this will play out. No one in the media, nor lawyers know how it will it go either. Fact is, there's a legal argument for both cases and at the end of the day its up to either sides lawyers to make the compelling argument. So all the back and forth is nothing more than message board material and really means nothing.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Forcing him to attend these legal actions rather than getting ready for his week 1 opponent is in effect penalizing him without establishing the merit for that penalization. I blame the NFL for taking too long to decide to suspend him in the first place.

erod

Reaction score

No, it has to be by 4 pm today per league rules.

I think the league is saying that the deadline for this weekend isn't guiding Henderson's ruling. That's all.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I thought he was going to practice and prepare for NY until told not to. ?

erod

Reaction score
Forcing him to attend these legal actions rather than getting ready for his week 1 opponent is in effect penalizing him without establishing the merit for that penalization. I blame the NFL for taking too long to decide to suspend him in the first place.

This is the biggest point of all.

They had 14 months, and it's coming down to the last possible second of the last day before the Week 1 deadline?

That is ridiculous. They have obviously been hoping he'd get in more trouble while he waited.