Zeke to attend hearing in Texas today per Schefter

Sydla

Reaction score
I think it is more of an unwritten rule.

The league usually makes the announcements on suspensions by 4pm as a courtesy to the teams. Sounds like they might make an exception here.

The NFL is angry. The NFLPA is angry. Zeke is angry. It's just an ugly situation all round.

Oh so the possibility exists the NFL might go back on their unwritten rule to suspend Elliott?

Color me shocked.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Defamation is incredibly hard to prove, especially since Garrett openly discussed to the media his lecture that that he gave Zeke about the off-field money he is costing himself with his behavior. That would get such a claim thrown out most likely.

Article 46 is the problem. The NFLPA agreed to it, and let's face it, most players are fine with it because they don't put themselves in these situations, so they don't care about that.
Garrett's public comments would be irrelevant to a defamation suit Zeke filled against the NFL.

Not that I expect this to get to that place but come in.

If anything Jason's comments did nothing but reaffirm what Zeke would allege in his lawsuit... That the harm done to him by the NFL was meaningful, hurtful and ultimately actionable.

erod

Reaction score
Garrett's public comments would be irrelevant to a defamation suit Zeke filled against the NFL.

If anything Jason's comments did nothing but reaffirm what Zeke would allege in his lawsuit... That the harm done to him by the NFL was meaningful, hurtful and ultimately actionable.

Defamation is so hard to prove with intent. That's what I'm saying. The league didn't invent this. They just mishandled it.

Sydla

Reaction score
In fairness to Jones, he wasn't necessarily that wrong the first time around. The person in charge of the investigation obviously told him that there wasn't much here and that there shouldn't be a suspension. How was Jerry to know that Goodell and Friel would go rogue?

erod

Reaction score

Defamation is so hard to prove with intent. That's what I'm saying. The league didn't invent this. They just mishandled it.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nice that this needed to spill over into the regular season. Thanks, NFL, for being so on top of everything.
:hammer:

Another thing the NFLPA should address in the next CBA.

They should insist that all of the cases be resolved between Feb-June or pushed forward to the following Feb-June time frame.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
I never argued it wasn't hard to prove. I merely said Garrett hadn't hurt Zeke's odds as you alleged.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Please, someone correct me if I am wrong, but isn't a suspension under the domestic violence clause a mandatory 6 games. If so, what would be the possible justifications for reducing the suspension between 1-5 games? In my novice eyes regarding this matter, Mr. Henderson either upholds the suspension, or completely vacates the suspension.

Just curious as to how others see this.
If the accused plays for the Giants.

--See Josh Brown case.

erod

Reaction score
I never argued it wasn't hard to prove. I merely said Garrett hadn't hurt Zeke's odds as you alleged.

It does because Garrett's comments prove that this wasn't concocted by the NFL. That makes defamation almost impossible to prove. That's what the attorneys I heard said.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can someone help me understand if I have this timeline of events right? And perhaps help others who might also be confused

-Harold Henderson will wait until the last minute today to make a ruling, 6 pm EST? I'm assuming Goodell has him in his pocket so the ruling will be in the NFL's favor

-Zeke hearing today (also at 6?) to decide if the suspension is blocked.

-Then I was reading something about the NFL trying have that blocked, if it is granted to Zeke. When will we know something on that front? This is a mess

This is why it's important to have a Lawyer that has been through this process before.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
It does because Garrett's comments prove that this wasn't concocted by the NFL. That makes defamation almost impossible to prove. That's what the attorneys I heard said.
How does Garrett's comments even remotely prove that?

Garrett is an employee of the Cowboys. He is not a purveyor of league power at NFL Headquarters.