Zeke v. Saquon shades of Emmitt v. Barry

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Agree! but ES was the more complete back that could do it all. The reason BS came out on 3rd downs, was because of the blocking skills, whereas ES could block his --- off. John Madden use to rave about him being the best blocking back in the league.

Despite the blocking, Barry is better.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Agreed. Emmitt was a perfect fit for our offense. Barry may not have had as much success here as Emmitt did although it's difficult for me to think he wouldn't have at least been as good as he was in Detroit. I also don't think Emmitt would have had the same success Barry did in Detroit, but who knows. Like I said, Emmitt had some immeasurable qualities that are tough to factor in when playing this game of hypotheticals.

My brother said this much having played against both. That BS will give you the ESPN replay moves but ES is just what the boys needed and was a perfect fit for each other.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
My stance is pretty clear. Barry Sanders was a better back then Emmitt. We can argue about the small stuff all day, but it doesnt change that.

He is but not the overall complete back, which carries more weight. That tells me you are a liability to us in certain spots. That's like James Harden in basketball, great offense player but could not cover my 3 year old daughter on the D side.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He is but not the overall complete back, which carries more weight. That tells me you are a liability to us in certain spots.

So Barry is a more dangerous runner and receiver and Emmitt is a better blocker? Is this what you are saying?

Your on the clock, who do you take as a back?

Emmitt or Barry?

Simple question.

mrmojo

Reaction score
Emmitt is the best big game back I ever saw, I'll take that all day and everyday over Barry Sanders.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He is but not the overall complete back, which carries more weight. That tells me you are a liability to us in certain spots. That's like James Harden in basketball, great offense player but could not cover my 3 year old daughter on the D side.
I added some more to the post, go back and read the added post and then that will give you my answer.

Looks like you just enjoy arguing. If you cant answer a straight forward question, then lets just move on.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Emmitt is the best big game back I ever saw, I'll take that all day and everyday over Barry Sanders.

Naturally, as you are a Cowboys fan.

Did you even see the one or two big games Barry was in?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yes I did, 1 td in 6 playoff games very impressive.

Those are rough TD numbers.

However, I have no doubt that if he was on those Cowboys teams of the 90's he would have many many more.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Give me the complete back, that is why I used the James Harden model because that is BS.

I hear ya. Give me Barry Sanders. If I have to put a blocking back in on 3rd down sometimes, its not a big deal considering what you get the rest of the time. And if you have a good 3rd down back, then it doesnt even make a difference. Actually spells barry and you need that anyway.

Daktozekecoop

Reaction score
That's cool. We're all entitled to our own opinions.

That is not to say I don't see Barkley's qualities. But in the same way I would have banked on Emmitt over Barry, to get me the needed yards. I do the same with Zeke. To me signing him assures us being in the super bowl hunt every year he's here. To get your yards in 5 to 20 yard chunks means you are always moving the chains. While waiting for the homerun, is a much less certainty. The overall average might be the same, but the number of 3 and outs will be much higher with Barry/Barkley. I think that is why until Emmitt no rushing champion had ever won a super bowl.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is not to say I don't see Barkley's qualities. But in the same way I would have banked on Emmitt over Barry, to get me the needed yards. I do the same with Zeke. To me signing him assures us being in the super bowl hunt every year he's here. To get your yards in 5 to 20 yard chunks means you are always moving the chains. While waiting for the homerun, is a much less certainty. The overall average might be the same, but the number of 3 and outs will be much higher with Barry/Barkley. I think that is why until Emmitt no rushing champion had ever won a super bowl.

One area where I absolutely have to give Zeke his due is in short yardage. I never see him knocked backwards.