Zierlein: Believe it's Bosa to Cowboys

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Greg Ellis 2.0

Can't wait

I don't get the Greg Ellis comparisons. Not that Greg wasn't a good player in his own right for a while there, but I don't see the connection other than people don't expect Bosa to get double-digit sacks for whatever reason.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can see it, they have worked him out twice!. He won't be a dominant player but he might be better than Ellis plus he is only 20 right now.

It's the 4th overall pick in the draft. If you don't believe you're getting a franchise altering player try to trade out.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I don't get the Greg Ellis comparisons. Not that Greg wasn't a good player in his own right for a while there, but I don't see the connection other than people don't expect Bosa to get double-digit sacks for whatever reason.

Broaddus calls him that because he is just a good player, not a great player

Just like Greg Ellis was

Gaede

Reaction score
I don't think it's fair to Bosa will only be a good player. I'm not sure why people say that.

Just because he's been good for three years, doesn't mean that's all he can do.

He's young, very athletic and strong. And knows how to play football.

The only reason he won't improve is if he doesn't want to.

Fredd

Reaction score
the rams move makes it very likely qb goes 1 and 2...so dallas has the opportunity to get ramsey or tunsil @ #4 OR if a trade presents itself, to acquire more draft assets...but, if they somehow draft Bosa, it would not upset me, if they trade back a little....I just see both Ramsey and Tunsil as the top guys in the draft (better than the QBs) so if one, or GOD FORBID, both fall to us @ #4, then WOO HOO!!!

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Teams are too good at spreading misinformation, and it's too easy to do. You really can't take any of it too seriously. You just have to look at it and see who's likely to be there for us at 4 and what positions have needs.

Exactly. These "experts" are privy to more information than us given their league contacts. But due to all the misinformation purposely being leaked by these same contacts, the net result is these "experts" don't know. Too much misinformation and too many variables once the draft actually is live.

morasp

Reaction score
NFL Matchup on ESPN just compared Bosa to Bennett. They also liked Dodd better than Lawson. They also didn't like Henry, said 100 of his 400+carries were for less than a yard because he doesn't make guys miss.

kazzd58

Reaction score
we draft Zeke we winning the Super bowl if Romo stays healthy and I think Zeke can have a big part in that other wise, we are relying on Romo to carry us all season and I just d/k if that formula works for us

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Teams are too good at spreading misinformation, and it's too easy to do. You really can't take any of it too seriously. You just have to look at it and see who's likely to be there for us at 4 and what positions have needs. It's QB, DE, and DB, and there's one DB, one DE, and two QBs worthy of consideration. If Tunsil goes ahead of us, or SD does something unexpected, we'll have a choice. Otherwise, we'll just take the one that's left.

Or Zeke. I didn't forget Zeke you guys. But, seriously, it won't be Zeke.
I think the best thing would be if Tunsil is available. Someone is going to want to trade for him.

fishspill

Reaction score
NFL Matchup on ESPN just compared Bosa to Bennett. They also liked Dodd better than Lawson. They also didn't like Henry, said 100 of his 400+carries were for less than a yard because he doesn't make guys miss.

I saw that. I thought they did a nice job showing the 3-down versatility Bosa could bring.

He's not a speed guy, true. But he possesses great hand usage and strength making his power game elite (in college, we'll see if it translates). You can move someone with this talent up and down the line, much like you'll move your speed rusher to the left or right to mix things up for your opponents. Finding the optimal matchups for your talents is the key to any NFL success.

Bosa is such a divisive character I find it amusing. Even if he goes on to Baltimore and wins DROY people here will say he wasn't a scheme fit. I think he can be very good in 3-4 or 4-3 because he's versatile, you just have to be willing to use it.

morasp

Reaction score
I saw that. I thought they did a nice job showing the 3-down versatility Bosa could bring.

He's not a speed guy, true. But he possesses great hand usage and strength making his power game elite (in college, we'll see if it translates). You can move someone with this talent up and down the line, much like you'll move your speed rusher to the left or right to mix things up for your opponents. Finding the optimal matchups for your talents is the key to any NFL success.

Bosa is such a divisive character I find it amusing. Even if he goes on to Baltimore and wins DROY people here will say he wasn't a scheme fit. I think he can be very good in 3-4 or 4-3 because he's versatile, you just have to be willing to use it.

After I thought about it Bennett isn't really a speed guy either but he has good technique, uses his hands well and has power. I've seen Bosa compared to Ellis, Strahan, Bennett, and Watt. If we get him he'll definitely get the benefit of good coaching which can only make him better.

btcutter

Reaction score
Broaddus calls him that because he is just a good player, not a great player

Just like Greg Ellis was

And Broaddus's assessment alway accurate? He has more experience but doesn't mean he's right all the time or else he'll still be in scouting.

btcutter

Reaction score
It's the 4th overall pick in the draft. If you don't believe you're getting a franchise altering player try to trade out.

You can only draft who's available. If there isn't franchise altering players in the top other teams can see that too. Why the heck would they trade with you ?

This theory of trading down sounds great but other teams aren't stupid. You need a trading partner. They will want a good deal too or else you better be ready to take a player or trade out for lesser value.

Kaiser

Reaction score

I started using the Greg Ellis comparisons back in January. Dane Brugler's scouting report says Bosa may not be a double digit sack guy, Greg Ellis only had double digits once but he had 7 or more sacks in 8 or 12 NFL seasons. He also made a Pro Bowl in his career. That's the theme, a good player but not a great one.

And picking fourth, I don't want a Demarcus Lawrence. I want a Demarcus Ware.

btcutter

Reaction score
I started using the Greg Ellis comparisons back in January. Dane Brugler's scouting report says Bosa may not be a double digit sack guy, Greg Ellis only had double digits once but he had 7 or more sacks in 8 or 12 NFL seasons. He also made a Pro Bowl in his career. That's the theme, a good player but not a great one.

And picking fourth, I don't want a Demarcus Lawrence. I want a Demarcus Ware.

But we don't know about Demarcus Ware until he became Pro bowl Demarcus Ware. In fact Broadus didn't like Ware at all during that draft. He admitted that on draft show.

Kaiser

Reaction score
But we don't know about Demarcus Ware until he became Pro bowl Demarcus Ware. In fact Broadus didn't like Ware at all during that draft. He admitted that on draft show.

Parcells wanted Spears over DWare, but the point is that we drafted Ware knowing he had the skills to become a dominant player. Higher ceiling, lower floor.

Bosa is a lower ceiling and a higher floor.

btcutter

Reaction score
Bosa is a lower ceiling and a higher floor.

We know this as gospel because? He has shown to be a very good athlete with good numbers for DE. Where do people get the idea that a 20 year old can't improve still ?
Yes, I agree he doesn't bend the corner like Ware but not all elite DE have that trait. They have other traits that help them get to the QB.

Kaiser

Reaction score
We know this as gospel because? He has shown to be a very good athlete with good numbers for DE.

None of us know anything as gospel and we won't until 3 years or so of watching the picks perform. But the consistent scouting on Bosa is exactly the lower ceiling/higher floor I mentioned.

And Bosa's numbers are very good against second tier teams but average against the top teams, something that doesn't bode well for a big improvement against better players in the NFL.