Zimmer says We need some noses, obviously

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yeah. "Mazi's done good in there," sure seems to indicate that.
Did you hear the "yeah, we definitely need some noses" before?

You seen anything that would make you believe that Mazi is anything other than a bust? On multiple plays in the preseason game he was so tired that he just stood up out of his stance and gave up. If you need coached up on technique that's one thing, but a total lack of effort when you very well could be on the bubble next season? Yeah I'll pass.

Chasing6

Reaction score

You seen anything that would make you believe that Mazi is anything other than a bust? On multiple plays in the preseason game he was so tired that he just stood up out of his stance and gave up. If you need coached up on technique that's one thing, but a total lack of effort when you very well could be on the bubble next season? Yeah I'll pass.
Well no one is expecting Mazi to play 50% of the defensive snaps. He will rotate and be on the field for basically running situations.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Is Linval still any good?
They just need 1 season out of him.

Creeper

Reaction score
Phillips and Mazi will be the NTs, but who are the 3Ts? Osa is one obviously. Davis is not really a 3T to me. Neither is Justin Rogers. Is there another DT trade coming? or do they give the spot to Golston?

Lawson becomes the LDE. Behind him will be Fehoko? or Golston?

RDE is Lawrence and he's backed by Kneeland.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Good for Zim! Too bad DQ wasn't smart enough to figure that out.
look i understand we needed to change at defense and i believe Zimmer will help but please stop how is Fowler and Hankins moves and different than Lawson and Phillips. seems the same to me..

it remains to be seen if they're used more properly as they both have Mazi and well we also have rogers, Huggins, and Davis here i believe another DT i can't remember his name.so hope they strike a good balance.. seems Mazi and Gholston plus Bell used out of position might be the most improvement simply putting them back and utilizing their strengths as Zims D might be better fit for them..

blueblood70

Reaction score
Phillips and Mazi will be the NTs, but who are the 3Ts? Osa is one obviously. Davis is not really a 3T to me. Neither is Justin Rogers. Is there another DT trade coming? or do they give the spot to Golston?

Lawson becomes the LDE. Behind him will be Fehoko? or Golston?

RDE is Lawrence and he's backed by Kneeland.
Yes Fehoko is big enough to be a 3t and hes listed as a DT more than a DE, and Gholston can move inside or out, whenever needed...adding Lawson gives them better DE numbers to use others in Flex..I know soem didn't approve of Gallimore but i think he was solid enough to keep at 3T backup. come in behind OSA...

Flamma

Reaction score

I'm one that defended the pick. DTs don't usually show up year 1. But watching him now didn't leave me with much hope. He was the slowest guy off the ball. Does that matter at his position? I'm not sure.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Yes Fehoko is big enough to be a 3t and hes listed as a DT more than a DE, and Gholston can move inside or out, whenever needed...adding Lawson gives them better DE numbers to use others in Flex..I know soem didn't approve of Gallimore but i think he was solid enough to keep at 3T backup. come in behind OSA...
I believe Fehoko is like 260 pounds unless he gained so weight.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I'm one that defended the pick. DTs don't usually show up year 1. But watching him now didn't leave me with much hope. He was the slowest guy off the ball. Does that matter at his position? I'm not sure.
it doesn't

not coming off standing up holding your ground staying square and eat a gap or require double teams etc

simple, keep your LB/S clean to find the guy with the ball. 3t and de need Get off OL all need get off

NT =NO set your anchor don't get turned or pushed back.

BleedSilverandBlue

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I initially defended the pick too and decided that we would need to see if he improved at all coming into this year. He looks pretty much the same as last year which is not good.

The fact he still won't fire off the ball is crazy. It's not like he's not athletic enough to move. I just don't think he plays with any fire.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

I did. And you understand that does not preclude him saying that Mazi was doing well?

Show the film. The plays he ended up standing were double teams where he gave up two yards and both OL had to stay home the whole way.

Shall I explain a NT's role?

There are several tweets outliing his good play in this thread. Shall I quote them for you so you don't have to read?

BleedSilverandBlue

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I did. And you understand that does not preclude him saying that Mazi was doing well?

Show the film. The plays he ended up standing were double teams where he gave up two yards and both OL had to stay home the whole way.

Shall I explain a NT's role?

There are several tweets outliing his good play in this thread. Shall I quote them for you so you don't have to read?
Someone tweeted he played well? This changes everything.

The plays I am referring to are passing downs. Contrary to popular belief, your role as a DT on passing downs is not to stand and do nothing.

Look man, I’m not going to pretend I am an expert, but I think that Mazi is not very good. You are entitled to your opinion that he is good. I hope I am wrong and you are right, but I have not seen much evidence to support that through Mazi’s first season and this camp.

I don’t think we’re going to be able to change each other’s opinions until the games start getting played.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Coming off shoulder surgery, no offseason camps. Going from Oxnard 60º to LA 80º plus. Conditioning would be an issue.
He looked fine, don't read too much into it for the 1st game.
I did not see him with lack of effort, nor being tired. But I did not watch him every play either.

I will wait and see next game.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Coming off shoulder surgery, no offseason camps. Going from Oxnard 60º to LA 80º plus. Conditioning would be an issue.
I did not see him with lack of effort, nor being tired. But I did not watch him every play either.

It’s hard for a laymen like myself to judge the DT position. I have no clue on the nuances of the position and what Zimmer is asking Mazi to do. Broaddus has said that all he needs to do is be able to occupy 2 lineman and that would be great but not sure if that’s what Zimmer wants him to do.

BleedSilverandBlue

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

That is fair. I get how the conditioning could be a problem given the fact his offseason was spent recovering from surgery.

I'll have to find the film I was watching on his snaps during the preseason game. There were a handful of pass rush snaps where the effort was non-existent but it looked like he was so gassed that he barely got out of his stance. Like you said though, likely attributable to conditioning.

I've just become pretty frustrated with how slowly he has developed. I actually liked the pick when it was made but I'm pretty nearly sold that he might not amount to much nowadays.