ZONERS: Bob Lilly or Randy White?

DWhite Fan

It ain't over 'til it's over
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1569366 said:
Zoners:

I got this from another post:

I know Bob Lilly was great, but, Randy White was a little bit better IMO. How wrong am I to think this way? Coach Landry said noone played harder then the Manster.

Who do you guys believe was the best?

If not Randy, then for sure he is one of the top 5 all time Cowboys.

My list :starspin

1. Randy White
2. Bob Lilly
3. Emmitt Smith
4. Roger Staubach
5. Troy Aikman

This top five will stand against any other list......agree? :starspin

I agree with the five players you listed just not the order.
May I suggest:

1. Roger Staubach
2. Bob Lilly
3. Emmitt Smith
4. Randy White
5. Troy Aikman

#12 will always be #1 in my opinion. All five were awsome players no doubt :)

Skip

Reaction score
Bob Lilly played like no other Cowboy in my mind. I have a lot of favorites from back then, but I would have t say Bob could take over a game like no other. He took the Dolphins from first and goal to like 4th and 53 or something all by him self.

What a dominate DL guy he was!

Reaction score

1. Dat Dude
2. Drew Henson
3. Derrick Ross
4. Kareem Larrimore
5. Bill Bates

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
McCordsville Cowboy;1569776 said:

1. Dat Dude
2. Drew Henson
3. Derrick Ross
4. Kareem Larrimore
5. Bill Bates

I strongly disagree that Bates belongs with that skill level:D

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
McCordsville Cowboy;1569776 said:

1. Dat Dude
2. Drew Henson
3. Derrick Ross
4. Kareem Larrimore
5. Bill Bates
Dude...Putting Bill Bates on that list is just wrong...Way Wrong :(

Bates may not have been an all time great but you don't hang for 15 years in the NFL without bringing something to the table. Give the spot to Mario Edwards, he was about as bad as CB's get.

As for the original question; I saw them both play and they both dominated. You ask the guys who played against them and they would probably answer the name of which ever one of the two it was that kicked their butt. They both kicked butt on whoever was in front of them.

I will say that I think the players that White played against were probably better than what Lily played against. That was right at the beginning of the players starting to get really bigger and stronger every year. On that basis I might give the edge to White but it is a hard call.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1569366 said:
Zoners:

I got this from another post:

I know Bob Lilly was great, but, Randy White was a little bit better IMO. How wrong am I to think this way? Coach Landry said noone played harder then the Manster.

Who do you guys believe was the best?

If not Randy, then for sure he is one of the top 5 all time Cowboys.

1. Randy White
2. Bob Lilly
3. Emmitt Smith
4. Roger Staubach
5. Troy Aikman

Landry said that Bob Lilly was the best player he ever coached. He was certainly the best DT I ever saw play and was significantly better than Randy White, which should tell you how great Lilly was.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
THUMPER;1569878 said:
Landry said that Bob Lilly was the best player he ever coached. He was certainly the best DT I ever saw play and was significantly better than Randy White, which should tell you how great Lilly was.
I won't argue your opinion that Lily was better. I will only argue the use of the word "significantly" in that statement. I don't think ANYBODY was "significantly" better than White.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
JackMagist;1569884 said:
I won't argue your opinion that Lily was better. I will only argue the use of the word "significantly" in that statement. I don't think ANYBODY was "significantly" better than White.

Lilly was double and triple teamed on EVERY play yet he still dominated. Randy had the advantage of playing with Harvey Martin and Too Tall throughout most of his career who also required double-teaming, meaning that many times White was facing single blocking, and White still didn't dominate as much as Lilly did.

I only rank 3 guys as the best DTs to ever play the game:

Bob Lilly
Joe Greene
Merlin Olsen

Those 3 were on a level by themselves.

Randy White is among the next tier down along with Alan Page.

Of course, this is just my opinion and people are welcome to disagree with it.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
THUMPER;1569888 said:
Lilly was double and triple teamed on EVERY play yet he still dominated. Randy had the advantage of playing with Harvey Martin and Too Tall throughout most of his career who also required double-teaming, meaning that many times White was facing single blocking, and White still didn't dominate as much as Lilly did.

I only rank 3 guys as the best DTs to ever play the game:

Bob Lilly
Joe Greene
Merlin Olsen

Those 3 were on a level by themselves.

Randy White is among the next tier down along with Alan Page.

Of course, this is just my opinion and people are welcome to disagree with it.

OK--we put boxing gloves on or off.......put them in a ring one on one.

RANDY WHITE will kick their butts--hands down in a fight!

No Zoners disagree with that........:star:

burmafrd

Reaction score
I think its Lilly as well but those saying that he did not have quality guys around him are very wrong. Larry Cole, Jethro Pugh, George Andrie, etc were VERY good players. Pugh was particularly under rated- Andrie made 3 Pro Bowls. So like White Lilly played next to very good players- Andrie was almost as good as Martin, and Pugh was probably better then anyone who played next to him except Dutton.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Sarge;1569383 said:
I love Randy White - he is an all-time great player but the nod goes to Lilly. Not an easy choice but, well, it's the right one. ;)

:signmast: what he said

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
burmafrd;1569971 said:
I think its Lilly as well but those saying that he did not have quality guys around him are very wrong. Larry Cole, Jethro Pugh, George Andrie, etc were VERY good players. Pugh was particularly under rated- Andrie made 3 Pro Bowls. So like White Lilly played next to very good players- Andrie was almost as good as Martin, and Pugh was probably better then anyone who played next to him except Dutton.

I wasn't saying that Lilly played with scrubs but that the guys he played next to, other than Andrie, didn't require double-teams as much as Martin and Jones and that he faced double, or triple, teaming much more often than White did, pretty much on every play.

I rank George Andrie as one of the best DEs to ever play for us. In fact he is the starting DE on my All-Time Cowboys Team along with Too Tall. He went to 5 consecutive Pro-Bowls from 1965-69 and was probably a much better run defender than either Martin or Jones.

The Cowboys defense of the late 60s-early 70s was one of the best in the league, particularly against the run but we also led the league in sacks several times during that run. In 1968 & 69 we gave up a TOTAL of 5 rushing TDs (2 in 68 & 3 in 69). That is an incredible achievement for any defense and has never been equaled in consecutive seasons.

Allowing 2 rushing TDs in 1968 set the record for fewest ever but was equaled by the Vikings in 1971.

We led the NFL/NFC in rushing defense 7 out of 8 years from 1966-1973, only missing in 1970, and led in fewest rushing TDs allowed 6 times from 1964-1973.

The other stat for measuring the effectiveness of the D-Line is sacks and we were a sacking machine back then.

From 1966-1973 we led the NFL/NFC in sacks 4 times and were in the top-5 every year. We had 60 sacks in 1966 and that was in a 14-game season! We had 51 & 55 in 68 & 69 respectively.

Basically, with Lilly, Andrie, Pugh, and whoever the 4th starter was (either Larry Cole or Willie Townes), we had the best front-4 in the league and that5 was at a time when there were a number of other great front-4s around (Rams, Vikings, Colts, etc.).

I believe the overall talent level on the front line was better alongside White than it was with Lilly which, when combined with the much greater results, is why I believe Lilly was significantly better than White.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
burmafrd;1569971 said:
I'm the one who started that. Let me ask you these questions.

1. At RDE who would you rather have, Harvey Martin or George Andrie?

2. At LDE who would you rather have, Ed Jones or Larry Cole?

3. At DT who would you rather have, John Dutton or Jethro Pugh?

I'll take Pugh over Dutton, but not by a huge margin. I'd take Jones and Martin over Cole and Andrie and that would be by a huge margin. In saying that it is not to disrespect Andrie or Cole. Jones and Martin belong in the ROH and Martin belongs in the HOF IMO. I can't say the same for Cole and Andrie.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
My top 5

1. Roger Staubach
2. Bob Lilly
3. Randy White
4. Emmitt Smith
5. Tony Dorsett/Cliff Harris

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;1570105 said:
Jones and Martin belong in the ROH and Martin belongs in the HOF IMO.
Harvey Martin has never even made it to the last fifteen finalists in HOF voting and that's a sheer travesty. Just once, I would love to sit in with the Board of Selectors as they debate players. I would pay good money to hear what's said about Martin which dismisses him as a candidate for enshrinement.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I really do not think enough people here have seen film of Andrie. He was REALLY good. I frankly do not see much of a gap between him and Martin.