ZONERS: Bob Lilly or Randy White?

HighTechDave

7 Years of College Down the Drain
Reaction score
Well, Anne Margaret (redhead), made my Pants fly all over the place back in the day. Seeing her in "Grumpy Old Men" at the age of freeggin "60+" confirmed het complete Hottness

baby arm

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Hostile;1570882 said:
Sophia Loren.

I thought about her after I had posted.

HighTechDave brought up Ann Margaret, she was another one who looked great even as she got older.

The list of hot older women could be a thread all by itself.

ologan

Reaction score
Hostile;1569463 said:
I do have to work now and then. Not very often mind you, but now and then.

I'd definitely say Bob Lilly over Randy White. As good as Randy was he benefitted from playing on a superior D-line. Bob Lilly was great no matter who else was on the line with him. He was just unstoppable.

Ginger, she was a redhead. Nuff said.

Agreed,Hos. I was fortunate enough to watch Bob play for TCU,and the Cowboys,and as much as I like Randy,there is only one "Mr. Cowboy".
I do have to say that,although Randy was blessed,as you stated,with a great supporting cast,so was Bob! I believe the line Lilly played on,at that time,was affectionately known as 'Willie,Lilly,George&Jethro",for Willie Townes,Bob Lilly,George Andrie,and Jethro Pugh....Not a slacker among that group!

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Saw both and cannot decide If really pushed would go with Lilly by a nose

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
THUMPER;1569888 said:
Lilly was double and triple teamed on EVERY play yet he still dominated. Randy had the advantage of playing with Harvey Martin and Too Tall throughout most of his career who also required double-teaming, meaning that many times White was facing single blocking, and White still didn't dominate as much as Lilly did.

I only rank 3 guys as the best DTs to ever play the game:

Bob Lilly
Joe Greene
Merlin Olsen

Those 3 were on a level by themselves.

Randy White is among the next tier down along with Alan Page.

Of course, this is just my opinion and people are welcome to disagree with it.
I applaud your choices of DT. You chose the EXACT same people that I came up with today while contemplating this discussion during some downtime. Greene, Olsen and Page were the ONLY ones that I put on a par with Lilly and White. However, I disagree that there was any "significant" difference; I have them all 5 very close to even. I notice though that the two men that you drop down the ladder a rung are the two smallest men on this list. Page played at around 245 and White at around 260 while the other three men were all at least 270.

As I said, I won't disagree that Lily was better because he had more Natural size and strength. White had to work harder to achieve his status but achieve it he did IMO. At his biggest and strongest White was 10 to 15 lbs lighter than Lily's natural playing weight. Had Lily put in the hours in the weight room that White did he would have been absolutely unstoppable. But in Lily's time weight training was considered to actually be detrimental to football players. That is part of the reason that I contend that White played against bigger, stronger and better linemen than did Lily. The guys White faced were also hitting the weights hard and the one Lily faced were not.

It's all just opinion but at least we seem to agree on the top five DT's of all time.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
burmafrd;1570144 said:
I really do not think enough people here have seen film of Andrie. He was REALLY good. I frankly do not see much of a gap between him and Martin.
I am in complete agreement with that. It is a little know fact that the Cowboys kept stats on sacks (we called them traps) long before it became an official stat. The two men who held the single season records for the Cowboys were George Andre and Harvey Martin; Martin beat Andre's "trap" record by One (1) in the year that I believe actually lead to it becoming an official stat.

BTW Both men had more sacks in a single season than the current official record. I believe that they had 23 and 24 sacks and that was in 14 game seasons. So while I might take Martin over Andre it would not be by much. But at the same time I would take Jethro Pugh over John Dutton (or anyone else who played next to White). So for the men who played on either side of Lily and White it becomes a wash for me.

The Cowboys have some fantastic D-linemen over the years. Also, while I agree that Too Tall Jones was probably the best that we have ever had at that position we tend to forget that he was not all that until he took the year off for boxing. He was average to good but not great until the later part of his career after he got the boxing out of his system.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jarv;1570774 said:
Lilly (the football player, not Mrs. Howell) wins !

Uhh, that would be LOVEY, not Lilly. Lilly is Herman Munsters wife.

Speaking of the Munsters, Marilyn is hotter than Ginger and Maryann both.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Sarge;1571392 said:
Uhh, that would be LOVEY, not Lilly. Lilly is Herman Munsters wife.

Speaking of the Munsters, Marilyn is hotter than Ginger and Maryann both.

What about Elly May Clampett?

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
THUMPER;1571395 said:
What about Elly May Clampett?

nice but you gotta go a long way before you top 99... Maxwell Smart's girl

of course Wrangler Jane was might nice also

burmafrd

Reaction score
That is true about Too Tall. He said that the training and hand work he got boxing really helped him in football. I think that that is when other linemen started to get interested in things like that. Remember Glover saying his martial arts training really helped him play better.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Zaxor;1571400 said:
nice but you gotta go a long way before you top 99... Maxwell Smart's girl

of course Wrangler Jane was might nice also

Mmmmm Barbara Feldman :bow:

Well, in that case, how about Diana Rigg as Emma Peele from the Avengers, or Julie Newmar as CatWoman in Batman. Those close-fitting outfits both wore were mighty nice!

If you liked the more "girl-next-door" look then how about Linda Evans as Audra Barkley in The Big Valley.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
THUMPER;1571508 said:
Mmmmm Barbara Feldman :bow:

Well, in that case, how about Diana Rigg as Emma Peele from the Avengers, or Julie Newmar as CatWoman in Batman. Those close-fitting outfits both wore were mighty nice!

If you liked the more "girl-next-door" look then how about Linda Evans as Audra Barkley in The Big Valley.

man she looked like an angel didn't she and Julie was absolutely gorgeous now what about Laugh-in's Goldie Hawn or Hee Haw's Misty

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
THUMPER;1571508 said:

Ummmmmm............ Audra Barkley..........

~ABQ says to himself in his best Homer Simpson voice, while drooling all over his keyboard.~

She was unbelievably gorgous as a young women. Way pretty.

I'll tell ya, not many people mention her as a beauty on these kinds of discussions but Maureen O'Hare (Quiet Man) was about as beautiful a women as I've ever seen. Beautiful red hair, Green eyes, tall, she was just beautiful.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1571680 said:

~ABQ says to himself in his best Homer Simpson voice, while drooling all over his keyboard.~

I'll tell ya, not many people mention her as a beauty on these kinds of discussions but Maureen O'Hare (Quiet Man) was about as beautiful a women as I've ever seen. Beautiful red hair, Green eyes, tall, she was just beautiful.

I agree, Maureen O'Hara was an incredibly beautiful woman. She played the Gypsy girl Esmerelda in the 1939 version of "Hunchback of Notre Dame" with Charles Laughton and Sir Cedrick Hardwicke. She was very young (19) and absolutely stunning!

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
THUMPER;1571955 said:
I agree, Maureen O'Hara was an incredibly beautiful woman. She played the Gypsy girl Esmerelda in the 1939 version of "Hunchback of Notre Dame" with Charles Laughton and Sir Cedrick Hardwicke. She was very young (19) and absolutely stunning!

sadly I couldn't remember her till I goggle'd a picture ... :eek: now I remember.. very nice :)

but if you are gonna go back to the 20's & 30's King Kong had a beautiful squeeze by the name of Fay Wray...

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1571680 said:

Ya know, Abq, that should have been me flinging her around inside that cabin in the Quiet Man. Kissing her just before she gets ready to throw a punch at me. Had it been really me and not that Wayne fella, she would have just kissed and never thought to throw a punch.
And when she says "I'll have your dinner waitin'" at the end, well, that is just gravy on the Irish mutton.
:)